What sort of World Cup do we want?

All discusions for the upcoming NAF BB World Cup should be discussed here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

One where:

every country has one team using each country's established selection method and everyone else 'spectates' from the side tourney
42%
every country has one team selected at the tourney and everyone else 'spectates' from the side tourney
8%
every country has as many teams as they can make up with excesses going into a 'mongrel horde' team
23%
everyone gets to represent their country in an individual tourney with the winning country somehow based on the individual rankings
27%

Total votes: 103

Mordredd
Super Star
Super Star

What sort of World Cup do we want?

Post by Mordredd »

I thought that it would be useful to try to find out how much support each of the concepts that I've seen floated recently actually has. (Hope I haven't missed any off the list.)

Oh, and I should add that with option 3 any country short of making a first team should be able to recruit freebooters so that they at least have 1 team competing.

Reason: ''
Mordredd's Apocalypse: the Old World's premier Dwarf Magnet. :-?
hoomin_erra
Leek chewing thread Necromancer

Post by hoomin_erra »

How about this for a complete alternate:

Tourney is planned for 3 days maybe yeah?

Day 1 - 4 games qualification, top 8 of each nation becomes the national side.

Day 2 & 3 - National Sides play a Std eurobowl tourney to decide the World Champ, whilst the rest of us play a sideline tourney. Call it the nationals, to find out who is the best of the rest in each nation.

So, 3 seperate tourneys in 3 days. Qualifiers, Nationals, and WC.

A weirdo in a Bowler hat and a Kilt!!!!!
[url=http://www.createforum.com/teamscotlandbb/index.php?mforum=teamscotlandbb/]Scotland's BB Forum[/url]

Lucifer is Broken!!!!
Yavatol
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Yavatol »

I think that's option 2

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

i'd like the provision of only one of each race per country in there for sure

don't want to see a country with 8 dwarf sides ;]

Ryan
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Ryan »

I like option 3 I mean I could defienatly go for a Stunties of the World Team attending (all those who are mad/insanse/sedistic enough to take goblins and halflings into a tournament enviroment)

Strength 1 Halflings with Block will Rock your world
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Yavatol wrote:I think that's option 2
If it is, that's the option I want (not saying Hoomin's way is spot on, but the general gist is right imo).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Lycos
Da Ex-Boss

Post by Lycos »

I voted for 1. Option 2 I see as a whole heap of trouble.....to the point that if you really wanted something on those lines, you have to go for option 4. I can it see it turning into an administrative nightmare with too much scope for the "moaners" to be too vocal if you went for option 2.

TFF mod team
kithor2002
Legend
Legend

Post by kithor2002 »

I voted for option one.

Member of Team Hellhound at WC II Amsterdam 2011 and WC III Lucca 2015
hoomin_erra
Leek chewing thread Necromancer

Post by hoomin_erra »

Not sure. I think option 2 is a national team picked before the tourney, not a qualifier on day 1

A weirdo in a Bowler hat and a Kilt!!!!!
[url=http://www.createforum.com/teamscotlandbb/index.php?mforum=teamscotlandbb/]Scotland's BB Forum[/url]

Lucifer is Broken!!!!
Leipziger
Legend
Legend

Post by Leipziger »

Like the last option best. I like the idea of everyone being in with a chance of playing for their country at a world cup, and also having it as different from a Eurobowl.

Cheers

Leip :lol: :o :lol:

Twitter:@wormito
Waterbowl fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/WaterbowlMcr/

Stunty Slam 14 - 10/09/22
Waterbowl Weekend 2023, Feb 18/19, NWGC

Team England Committee Member
Mordredd
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Mordredd »

Grumbledook wrote:don't want to see a country with 8 dwarf sides ;]
:lol: I don't want to see a country with any Dwarf sides. :P
hoomin_erra wrote:
Not sure. I think option 2 is a national team picked before the tourney, not a qualifier on day 1
I tried to make the options fairly broad and avoid specifying more minor details so we can get a view of what people broadly want. And yes, option 2 does include a day 1 qualifier. That's what I had in mind when I wrote it anyway. It is what "selected at the tourney" means. :wink:
Ryan wrote:I like option 3 I mean I could defienatly go for a Stunties of the World Team attending (all those who are mad/insanse/sedistic enough to take goblins and halflings into a tournament enviroment)
I guess that would fit into option 3, but only if the stunty players were the leftovers from forming the proper national teams.

Mordredd's Apocalypse: the Old World's premier Dwarf Magnet. :-?
Evil Git
Hoomin's Deliverer

Post by Evil Git »

i went for option 1.

the way i see it is that there should be a stand alone team event. one team per country with each participant each having a different race organised however you want it to be organised.

now the question is what to do with everyone else. do you then try and set up another team event? run in a similar way? maybe have groups of teams together who then proceed into some kind of final? do you keep it individual and have a proper reason for going i.e super smashing great prizes that are very much out of the ordinary for normal competitions?

you have to make it worth people's time and effort to enter the second competition if they're not selected for their country. you want to make it different then a seperate team tourney may be the way to go. have say 4 teams in each group who all play each other once on the first day. second day they play say one team from other groups. the top ranked 8 go into a quarter finals where 1 plays 8 2 plays 7 etc. winners then progress to semi's and finals.

that way everyone has the chance to play in something different, it would give people the chance to meet new people and strike up new friendships and there would be the kudos of being the world club champions (ok i made that up but it's not a bad name for it)

well that's what i reckon anyway.

http://www.createforum.com/teamscotlandbb
Ryan
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Ryan »

I personally have never heard of a stunty team making the top 20 of any tournament but if they have then I will stand corrected

Strength 1 Halflings with Block will Rock your world
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Another idea might be to have option 1 (as the EuroBowl), but run the team event as a knockout tournament rather than Swiss. As teams were knocked out, they would join the secondry competition (either as groups or individuals).

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Rolleriño
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Rolleriño »

I vote for option 3.

I think that is the best way to have an open tournament for national teams.

So everyone could have his fun, having a trip with his friends and meeting players from all the world, and if someone isn't able to find a team to play in, could play in a mixed team ecc...

Thx Mordredd for the poll!

Roller