What sort of World Cup do we want?

All discusions for the upcoming NAF BB World Cup should be discussed here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

One where:

every country has one team using each country's established selection method and everyone else 'spectates' from the side tourney
42%
every country has one team selected at the tourney and everyone else 'spectates' from the side tourney
8%
every country has as many teams as they can make up with excesses going into a 'mongrel horde' team
23%
everyone gets to represent their country in an individual tourney with the winning country somehow based on the individual rankings
27%

Total votes: 103

Bevan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Bevan »

Indigo wrote:I don't see why it can't be both combined. I've had a go at drafting a daily chart showing which tournaments could run when. I've focused on four main gaming events - a 9 game individual event, and 8 man EB team event, a 4-man league event (although obviously not restricted to leagues) and the stunty cup (for gobbos, flings and ogres only).
Your timetable has the individual event starting on the first day and the team event not starting until the second day. This makes sense to have 9 and 6 rounds respectively and the finals all at the end of the last day.

However, you could allow coaches to be in more than one type of event if the individual and team events start on the first day. But the team event stops after round 5 on the 2nd day. At that point the top 2 teams are selected to play for the 1st & 2nd and the next 2 teams are selected to play for 3rd vs 4th, but these games are not played until the last round on day 3.

After round 5 all team players go into the individual competition, counting their scores from the team event. But on the 3rd day, only the top 16 individuals stay in that event and play the last 3 rounds. Alternatively take the top 8 from the existing inidividual event and the top 8 coaches from the team event. I realise that the winner will come from the top 8, but 2nd and 3rd could come from anyone in the top 16, and it allows evening up between those who were in the team competition and those who weren't. In the final individual round only the top 4 individuals play, as for the team competition. If anyone is involved in the top 4 individual and top 4 team games then use a reserve, or count the individual result as though it was for the team.

Everyone who is not in the top 16 individuals can play one of the other games on the third day.

The league event (and Stunty events) could run along with the others for 6 or 8 rounds then the top 4 of the leagues would play off for 1st to 4th as for the others.

This allows team members to try for the individual event and allows everyone not in the top of any of the events to have a go at the more chaotic (?) side events, except those requiring 6 rounds.

I'm only making a suggestion here to cater for those who want a team event and those who don't make the national team, without devaluing the individual event by pulling out the best coaches. I'm still a bit keen on everyone being in a team, with multiple teams per country.

Reason: ''
Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

Dave wrote: that was my idea actuall LS :wink:
then i like your Idea Dave ;)

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
Dave
Info Ed

Post by Dave »

me too strangely enough.

I also like Indy's idea to make a timetable that allows players to participate in different events more or less at the same time

lowsman2
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by lowsman2 »

I do think ideally you want one large tournament that encompasses all of the players.

This could be carried out in a number of ways which would fit in with the team ethos.

As a simple approach, for example, days one and two could be run in (say) four seperate divisions. A team is comprised of four players, one in each division. You can compete and not be in a team if you wish.

After two days then each division is split into quarters. Awards are awarded for divisional placings. For the final days play the top 25% play in 'the premiership', the next 25% 'the championship' and so on. Their points scores carry over.

The overall title is then awarded at the end of day three to the premiership winner. Each day three division also has it's own winners and losers, giving something to compete for on the final day. The team title is also determined.

I really do not see the need for only one team per country. It is not Eurobowl. Instead of thinking World Cup think European Cup (or 'Champions' League). I also do not want to see more than one global tournament. A secondary tournament would be just that, secondary. I am not sure if I would attend such a tournament. Whilst this offers all the opportunity to play.

Also for option four there are additional averages you can use, such as Standard Deviation as the best known, to more equalise it for large and small numbers of entrants from countries. And yes, it may seem complicated, but with computers it is not.

Every gamer should have their own weight in unpainted lead......
Dave
Info Ed

Post by Dave »

interesting idea!

Emberbreeze
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Emberbreeze »

If I were organisnig (which I am not so this can all be ignored :D ) and pullnig apart Daves spreadsheet

Up sides:
• Everyone can complete in at least 2 if not 4 events over 3 days
• Allows some players to come and compete even if they can only make 2 days
• Lots going on throughout the weekend
• Staggered prize giving so you don’t get clapping fatigue
• Sculpting and painting workshops available for those not in a second event on Saturday.

Down sides are:
• Late (8pm) finishes every day, difficult to travel back on Sunday. Although for such a big tournament some people will be having 4 days accommodation (Thursday to Sunday) with Bugmans on Thursday night.
• Up to 4 games played on Sat and Sunday.

e.g.
• You could compete in the Team tournament, Individual tournament, speed painting and enter the Golden Snotling painting comp.
• You could enter the Stunty cup and individual tournament (using a different team or stunties again)
• You could arrive on Saturday morning and still compete in the individual tournament and speed painting.
• People not competing in the team tournament ‘could’ leave early on Sunday, although I imagine there would still be a crowd.

I hope this might give some food for thought and I was bored at work yesterday :wink:

[size=150][color=#FF3333][b]Hag Graef Dragons[/b][/color][/size] [size=117]1st UK :wink: NAF Dark Elf Coach[/size]
[size=150][color=#FF3333][b]Silvania Suckers[/b][/color][/size] [size=117]Most experienced :wink: NAF Vampire Coach[/size]
Hangus
Scotland's Saviour

Post by Hangus »

i like it

I don't think 4 games in one day is a bad thing. There have been a couple of one day 4 game tournaments around and although i have not gone to one yet I have been told by some players (Indy, Lycos and Geggster) that its not that big a deal.

Poo Bowl will have 7 over 2 days so i guess i may even become the norm.

The late finish is a little bit of a concern but i am sure with a big of shuffling or even (heaven forbid) an earlier start could help it which means Woody and Dwarfcoach may struggle for game one of the Sunday :D

Down with this sort of thing....
Careful now.....

Where's my hat?
grotuk
Super Star
Super Star

Post by grotuk »

In spain saturday is always 4 games.

Not bad at all.

Also i like the fact that i'll play a tournament if only can go on weekend.

Emberbreeze
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Emberbreeze »

you could have 4 games on Fri and Sat with 3 on Sun with a bit of juggling but it meant the stunty cup etc finished on day 1 with no team tournament game on day two. I preferend this way.

[size=150][color=#FF3333][b]Hag Graef Dragons[/b][/color][/size] [size=117]1st UK :wink: NAF Dark Elf Coach[/size]
[size=150][color=#FF3333][b]Silvania Suckers[/b][/color][/size] [size=117]Most experienced :wink: NAF Vampire Coach[/size]
Glorian Underhill
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Glorian Underhill »

I like that shedule. 12 Games in 3 days is hell. :D
Usually game 3 is difficult, but game 4 then really shows who is the big fish. :)

As for 4 Games if I travel to Great Britain I will for sure need some days vacation. And I want then maximum party and games.

So thumbs up for the shedule.

Spike!ImageSchau - Der deutsche Blood Bowl Podcast
http://www.soehne-sigmars.de/feed/spikeschau/