Announcing the NAF World Cup 19, 20, and 21 of October, 2007

All discusions for the upcoming NAF BB World Cup should be discussed here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Hangus
Scotland's Saviour

Post by Hangus »

Love the idea and love the fcat ifs been thrown out there for the dicussion. So well done Cyber and Indy.

Instead of the 8 man team (which i have always liked anyway) could another option be just anyone play anyone (but as Yavatol say, not your team mates ie same country) and then work out a win ration for each country? So you would end up with a country winning and an idividual winner

Reason: ''
Down with this sort of thing....
Careful now.....

Where's my hat?
Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

CyberHare wrote:This is great guy's. It's fantastic that we have so much lead time into this event so that we can make it fantastic. Keep the idea's coming. I have a question though. What type of activities would people like to see on day one of the event?
I think a dedicated painting competation would be cool! Maybe a few categories like single miniature, diorama, etc.

The TBBf is back! http://tbbf.obblm.com/
Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

Loony Toadquack wrote:TR - yeah, you might well be right. Some nations may have difficulties recruiting, while some may have too many coaches who want in. Guess we'd just have to wait and see how much interest there is nearer the time before setting a number.
For countries that have a huge number of players, perhaps they could be split up into regions? For example, in the UK You could have England South, Midlands, North, etc., plus Scotland, Ireland etc.

CyberHare
Star Player
Star Player

Post by CyberHare »

One reoccurring and obvious point that's coming up is the expense of travel for the National teams and the expense of the event itself. We do have plans to do some fundraising over the next few months to help keep the event costs to a minimal and to help out with travel expenses for the national teams. Help would be based on distance from the tourney location so the teams the furthest away from the UK would get a bigger share of the pie. Having a World Cup and not having representation from all of the major BB nations would be a very big disappointment as far as I'm concerned so we're going to do everything possible to make sure the teams can get there.

Teams traveling from outside the UK should also look at getting group rates on travel expenses. I'm certain that if 10 people are traveling out of Australia then they can get some sort of group rate on airfare. The same thing goes for Canada, the US and all the outlying Euro nations. Getting together to share travel expenses should help to keep costs down.

Brian St.James

Death Bowl IV - Only the best will survive!
Find out more at www.TheDeathBowl.com
Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

We need a sponsor. I'm calling Tim Horton's! :D

CyberHare
Star Player
Star Player

Post by CyberHare »

They'll send you a coffee pot and sample packs like they do in their TV adds :lol:

In seriousness though it won't be a bad idea for teams to do some fundraising locally for their own travel expenses.

Brian St.James

Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

When are you guys planning on nailing down location, cost etc.? It'll give the people overseas more time to get our act together if we know more specifics sooner than later.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Just to pass on what was mentioned on teh NAF thread, perhaps the Spiky Club in Reading might be able to host the event (in case Ace see this first).

As for the format, I'm happy just to play BB, and get to meet coaches from abroad I've met before, and to get to meet coaches from both home and abroad that I've never had the (mis?;))fortune to meet before.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Dave
Info Ed

Post by Dave »

very cool idea ..

I'd prefer a london situated venue .. due to both tallness problems at the BB and for reachability ...

now .. who will play for Oranje ;-)

kithor2002
Legend
Legend

Post by kithor2002 »

Hangus wrote:Love the idea and love the fcat ifs been thrown out there for the dicussion. So well done Cyber and Indy.

Instead of the 8 man team (which i have always liked anyway) could another option be just anyone play anyone (but as Yavatol say, not your team mates ie same country) and then work out a win ration for each country? So you would end up with a country winning and an idividual winner

Maybe it could be divided into two seperate tournaments:

1. An individual tournament to find out who's the best BB player living on earth
2. A team tournament leaning on the Eurobowl format....

Member of Team Hellhound at WC II Amsterdam 2011 and WC III Lucca 2015
Duke Jan
Legend
Legend
Location: Watching the great unclean armpits of a Beast Of Nurgle

Post by Duke Jan »

London would be OK with me as well. It's only once every 4 years so costs shouldn't be too big an issue, but perhaps some other players think differently.

As for day 1, as long as there's a large social factor it should be OK. Preferably BB related of course. I think the worst thing to do was to organise some sort of conference where everyone just shuts up and listens to a speaker. A discussion would be better already, but I think only a few people will say a lot then.

Nuffle Sucks!
Mootaz
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Mootaz »

I think day should not be about discussion, conference, etc. It should be more a big "circus", with tons of games at the same time, especially seldom-played variants like beach bowl, etc. There could also be contests like speed-painting.

CyberHare
Star Player
Star Player

Post by CyberHare »

Great stuff guy's keep it comming. Another question. At the moment the planned days for this event have it running from Wednesday to Saturday leaving Sunday for travelers to travel home. It's been suggested that the event should run from Thursday to Sunday instead and travelers would have to go home on Monday.

Personally I feel that an event of this type should be contained within one week. Finishing on Saturday will allow people who are not staying beyond the event for vacation to get home in time for work on Monday. The flip side of that is that it will mean an extra day off work on Wednesday for some of the locals.

What do you all think?

Brian St.James

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Thurs - Sun is more doable for me than Wed - Sat.

The Thurs - Sun means I only need 2 days off work, W- Sat would mean 3, or more likely having to use a precious weeks holiday.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Yavatol
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Yavatol »

Taking days off is not very easy for me, and impossible to plan this far a head. There is no telling what my schedule is going to be like. I think thursday-sunday has more chance of me being able to make it then wednesday-saturday. But only if there is the possibility to return on sunday evening.