Announcing the NAF World Cup 19, 20, and 21 of October, 2007

All discusions for the upcoming NAF BB World Cup should be discussed here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

That's true, you can get to Manchester or Birmingham easily from our isde of the pond too.

Reason: ''
The TBBf is back! http://tbbf.obblm.com/
juergen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by juergen »

IMO the best: something similar like the eurobowl venue somewhere between london and stanstead. I guess many europeans will fly to stanstead with the cheap airlines and people from over the pond can fly to london.

The manor house of the EB was great - except for finding it (at least I've heard the spaniards had a hard time finding it :wink: )

Juergen

Creator of Elfball.org - the Elfball website officialy approved by Impact Miniatures
CyberHare
Star Player
Star Player

Post by CyberHare »

juergen wrote:The manor house of the EB was great - except for finding it (at least I've heard the spaniards had a hard time finding it :wink: )
The problem with the Eurobowl Venue is the lack of private rooms. Dorms are cool for a bunch of guy's but I doubt very much the wives or girlfriends will be interesting in bunking down with the rest of the group :wink: I wouldn't be surprised if a fair number of us traveling across the pond bring our better halves and make a vacation of it. Call me a princess but I wouldn't mind having a private room to go back to at the end of the day myself. As far as I could tell from the website the showers are shared as well. I never quite understood the appeal of communal lodgings.

Brian St.James

Death Bowl IV - Only the best will survive!
Find out more at www.TheDeathBowl.com
Ithilkir
Legend
Legend

Post by Ithilkir »

Dutch Open in January, Dungeonbowl in March, Lutece in April, Blood Bowl in May...

World Cup in March is making things tight so I'd probably pass on it.

Cheers,
Stephen :: LRB 5.0 Background Editor
Blood Bowl 2005 & 2006 :: Winner of Most Casualties
The Lore of Nuffle :: The webs biggest BB flavour archive!
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Ithilkir wrote:Dutch Open in January, Dungeonbowl in March, Lutece in April, Blood Bowl in May...

World Cup in March is making things tight so I'd probably pass on it.
Just to reiterate, this is the World Cup, that means once every 4 years (as per football, Olympics, rugby etc). This one 2007, next one 2011 elsewhere in the world (so who knows when or if it'll return to the UK.)

We're not talking about adding another annual event to an already crowded calendar here, we're talking about the inaugural World Cup. It's gonna be the biggest number of international coaches at the same place at the same time than anything seen to date.

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Ithilkir
Legend
Legend

Post by Ithilkir »

Yeah, but with all due respect, it's smacking it right into the middle of Europes 4 biggest tourneys, thus pulling coaches away from those tournaments, even if it is just once every four years, it's still going to hurt the tournaments around it (a four dayer will pretty much cancel out the weekend at either side of it) or possibly pulling coaches who may have gone to the World Cup to the others instead. Wouldn't it be a better idea to promote it during a quieter period?

Cheers,
Stephen :: LRB 5.0 Background Editor
Blood Bowl 2005 & 2006 :: Winner of Most Casualties
The Lore of Nuffle :: The webs biggest BB flavour archive!
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Ithilkir wrote:Yeah, but with all due respect, it's smacking it right into the middle of Europes 4 biggest tourneys, thus pulling coaches away from those tournaments, even if it is just once every four years, it's still going to hurt the tournaments around it (a four dayer will pretty much cancel out the weekend at either side of it) or possibly pulling coaches who may have gone to the World Cup to the others instead. Wouldn't it be a better idea to promote it during a quieter period?
The euro calendar's pretty full Ith mate, there's no obvious window anywhere. The 'big' tourneys are well established anyway, if there were to be a detrimental effect on attendence then those well established tournies are perhaps better able to deal with that then the smaller and/or newer ones.
But of the four you mentioned, I really can't see any significant detrimental effect in terms of attendence. There's no pattern there mate, the Spiky Open (for example) wasn't hurt by the proximity of the Eurobowl being held in the UK. The last thing we want to do is tread on anybody's toes with the timing of this, but you've got to think worldwide, and it'd have to happen at some time during the year.

Anyway, I think we're getting a little sidetracked here, I don't want to get too involved in a big debate about the timing, at the end of the day everybody has 13 months advance notice.

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Old Man Draco
Monkey Spanker

Post by Old Man Draco »

Why don't you play the world bowl INSTEAD of the Eurobowl once every four years. Calendar problem should be solved then!

Stunty King of Lutèce Bowl 2006!:lol:

Owner of a "Deputy Dook Badge"
Redfang
Legend
Legend
Location: With the wife, watching Zara and the Hasslefree chick from behind their bedroom curtain...

Post by Redfang »

Finally... What took you guys so long with organising this... :lol:

Ik wou dat ik twee blondjes was,
Dan kon ik samen spelen.

[size=67][url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14334]Bragging[/url][/size]

What keeps me busy nowadays: [url=http://www.bruchius.com/]Fun with violence.[/url]
dwarfcoach
The Best Dressed Man in Blood Bowl
Location: That odd twilight that exists 'cause you have only had 3.5 hours sleep

Post by dwarfcoach »

Well I think it's great!! 8)

Glad it's only every four years, makes it more special to get involved and sounds amazing, four days of Blood Bowl :?: :o 8) :D ?!?!?!?

Only the hardcore need apply... :wink:

As for location, to be honest although I love Warhammer World (and lets be honest, if 'I' can get by without moaning about space then alot of thinner coaches should take note :P ) I think it may be a bit much for four days? I'm not sure if they would have an event going for that long as they seem to have a quite busy weekly gaming schedule anyway?

For this kind of event I think a meeting room (rooms?) in a hotel where we have sorted out some kind of discount for rooms to stay in would be the way to go. I know that I would stay there and when it goes to a diffeent country it would be alot easier to stay at the venue...

So it's up to each countries NTO on who is going, right?

*Mr. T pities the fool. Chuck Norris rips the fool's head off. *
Gorbad
Disco Purist

Post by Gorbad »

For what it's worth, from Schiphol Amsterdam Airport, the cheap flights go to Birmingham and Manchester as well (BMIBaby, Jet2.com), so either of those two cities have my (arguably very limited in importance) vote as well, and I can only assume that the same cheaper prices to those cities will also apply in France and Germany.

Redfang
Legend
Legend
Location: With the wife, watching Zara and the Hasslefree chick from behind their bedroom curtain...

Post by Redfang »

Draco wrote:Why don't you play the world bowl INSTEAD of the Eurobowl once every four years. Calendar problem should be solved then!
Having missed part of the discussion earlier, I was just about to suggest this myself now...

R

Ik wou dat ik twee blondjes was,
Dan kon ik samen spelen.

[size=67][url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14334]Bragging[/url][/size]

What keeps me busy nowadays: [url=http://www.bruchius.com/]Fun with violence.[/url]
grotuk
Super Star
Super Star

Post by grotuk »

Gorbad wrote:For what it's worth, from Schiphol Amsterdam Airport, the cheap flights go to Birmingham and Manchester as well (BMIBaby, Jet2.com), so either of those two cities have my (arguably very limited in importance) vote as well, and I can only assume that the same cheaper prices to those cities will also apply in France and Germany.
Not in Spain, AFAIK

Glorian Underhill
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Glorian Underhill »

Yehaw! Thats the tourny I waited my whole life for. Born to play BB. :-)

As for the location question. Warhammer world is nice, but the tables and siting bricks arent my favourite either. And especially for Juergen or some other coaches who have some extra weight to carry around. and none of us is getting younger.

So what is the problem to make it actually in London, or around. Standstedt is the cheap airport anyway. And I have just enough of traveling 5 hours per bus into the backjard of England.

And if you want to make it a vacation, then where do you want to make it? When you travel to the UK you have to visit London.
Around London you ve got ... what 3 Airports.

For the time: November, the Eurobowl time is the part of the year with less tournys as the Eurobowl has build its space. If you make it in March, the last Eurobowl was 6 month ago. And some of us just cant afford every 6 Month a big trip with alll the smaler torunaments in between.

Question is, if we could get some other teams together than Eurobowl teams plus American Allstars.

Spike!ImageSchau - Der deutsche Blood Bowl Podcast
http://www.soehne-sigmars.de/feed/spikeschau/
Duke Jan
Legend
Legend
Location: Watching the great unclean armpits of a Beast Of Nurgle

Post by Duke Jan »

Although I do see the advantage of having a combined team/individual tourney, I don't think it's a good idea to seed part of the tourney crowd by nation and the rest swiss. At least that's how I interpreted the idea. I wouldn't want to go there and not have a chance to play any canadians because they're all on the national team and I'm not for example. Making the tourney swiss and people not playing people from their own country would suffice for the first few days at least. I would suggest an open format until the last day, after that the national teams are formed who will play one another for the team title. That way you have a chance to play against coaches you don't normally meet at your local tourney.

Nuffle Sucks!