Announcing the NAF World Cup 19, 20, and 21 of October, 2007

All discusions for the upcoming NAF BB World Cup should be discussed here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Evil Git
Hoomin's Deliverer

Post by Evil Git »

from my understanding, the competition would be run similar to how the eurobowl was run this year, er last year i mean...

anyway you have the team competition running seperately from the individual tourney. maybe i've just not understood everything though, i'm sure someone can let me know that i'm wrong :wink:

in my opinion this is certainly the better way of doing it. keep the team competition seperate and have a sort of round robin tournament (depending on how many teams enter). maybe if there's enough teams then have a group stage and then knockout competition later on to get the actual final. hmm dunno how well that would work though. probably easier if it's straight up swiss style.

Reason: ''
http://www.createforum.com/teamscotlandbb
Duke Jan
Legend
Legend
Location: Watching the great unclean armpits of a Beast Of Nurgle

Post by Duke Jan »

Luckily the tourney isn't for another year, so it should be possible to get the right format chosen. :D As far as I understand it, this is not just supposed to be the Eurobowl for the world, but it's inteded to be the BBowlympics, the best and largest BB event in the world. A must-attend event for every BB coach. Combining an open tournament with a team-style tournament while making it so attractive that non-team players definately don't want to miss it is going to be a tough nut to crack.

Nuffle Sucks!
TuernRedvenom
Legend
Legend

Post by TuernRedvenom »

Duke Jan wrote:Combining an open tournament with a team-style tournament while making it so attractive that non-team players definately don't want to miss it is going to be a tough nut to crack.
one suggestion to this end: free beer!!!
:lol:

Un bon mot ne prouve rien. - Voltaire
Yavatol
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Yavatol »

Evil Git wrote:probably easier if it's straight up swiss style.
Not to mention better as it ensures everybody plays every round.

As far as the side-tourney discussion. I think it is best to concentrate on the team-based clash first. The side-tourney is a nice gesture but for the Eurobowl it failed to take off, as only 3 or 4 people (all from the UK) showed up that could play in it. I do not expect it to be very different for the World Cup.

And I do not really want to extend it for the sake of playing people from far away places. Chances are in a 5 or 6 game tourney you are only going to play Europeans as the Euro to Non-euro ratio will be likely to be 5-1.
Anyway to play a tournament for the off-chance you play somebody you always wanted to meet is not very practical. You better go there and try to meet them between or after the tournament games, you can always challenge them for a friendly (non-NAF) game, which is propbably a nicer setting to meet them anyway.

dwarfcoach
The Best Dressed Man in Blood Bowl
Location: That odd twilight that exists 'cause you have only had 3.5 hours sleep

Post by dwarfcoach »

Yavatol wrote:As far as the side-tourney discussion. I think it is best to concentrate on the team-based clash first. The side-tourney is a nice gesture but for the Eurobowl it failed to take off, as only 3 or 4 people (all from the UK) showed up that could play in it. I do not expect it to be very different for the World Cup.
Hmm, I have to say I totally disagree with this way of thinking. I think that as it is going to be a 4 day event then there is alot of room to make everything about the entire event attractive to players, regardless which games they are playing.

What I'd personally love to see happen is the first couple of days a huge get together of as many coaches as possible, all playing guys from a different country or at least opponents they do not normally play. You could have four games and then the NTO's should be able to nominate a number of players (8-10?) from there country to go forward to the last two days of World Cup play-offs.

This would hopefully leave a large group of gamers who can then vote on what format of competition they want to play in;

A different type of BB each round (Dungeonbowl/BB7's/Junglebowl/whatever)

or

A more standard BB tourney with the end match a Death Match

or

A standard set of tourney rules

When this is sorted out they can play for 'The London Cup' (or whatever city the event is held in).

Obviously this is a less prestigious event but it is still a cool set of games that people will want to play for and win. The simple incentive of making the World Cup count as a Major and counting the London Cup as normal NAF rankings will be enough to distinguish the two events but they will still both be great fun.

Then, in four years time the secondary comp could be the 'Paris Cup' or where-ever and I know I would definately want to travel abroad knowing that, even if I don't do well enough to qualify for the World Cup, I still get to play in a fun tourney that could be in a different format to the normal tourney. Just my two pennies worth...

*Mr. T pities the fool. Chuck Norris rips the fool's head off. *
Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

Wow, this sounds very interesting! :D :D

Best option would be to have coaches play as many new opponents as possible i.e. preferably not ones from their own country. Country vs. country seems best - just like Eurobowl. In this sense the actual tournament component would be very much like Eurobowl but with the addition of US/Canada/Australia etc. With this in mind maybe this could indeed be a replacement for Eurobowl on every fourth year?

It'd be nice to see national teams of greater than 8 coaches. I'm sure there'd be demand for this. I'd also be in favour of different teams being represented by each team member too. Some kind of standard qualification system may also help (especially for Germany :wink:) but team captains (voted for on TBB/NAF forums?) should have ultimate say.

London may not be the best venue as everything is much more expensive (accomm, venue hire, drinks :lol: etc.). Lenton wouldn't be a bad venue in theory if it has a big enough capacity. Manchester or Birmingham should be fine too. However, given that I live in the UK people travelling from abroad should have the biggest say taking into account air links etc.

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
TuernRedvenom
Legend
Legend

Post by TuernRedvenom »

Loony Toadquack wrote: It'd be nice to see national teams of greater than 8 coaches. I'm sure there'd be demand for this.
I wholeheartedly (but respectfully) disagree on this! I think just getting 8 belgian coaches together will be a problem (see last year's eurobowl). More than 8 coaches might be fine for England, France, Spain and Germany but I think almost all other teams would struggle.
I think that assuming that prestige will draw the coaches in is rather dangerous, it's the first time it's organised for Pete's sake!
Call me pessimistic but I also don't see many coaches coming from abroad to participate in the individual side-tourney.

just my 2 cts

Un bon mot ne prouve rien. - Voltaire
CyberHare
Star Player
Star Player

Post by CyberHare »

This is great guy's. It's fantastic that we have so much lead time into this event so that we can make it fantastic. Keep the idea's coming. I have a question though. What type of activities would people like to see on day one of the event? Day one is meant to be a day of alternate activities. Painting competitions. Conferences on the rules. Orientation for the National Teams to get them sorted out. The event as a whole is meant to be a once every four years coming together of the community at large. What kind of things would you guy's like to see there?

Brian St.James

Death Bowl IV - Only the best will survive!
Find out more at www.TheDeathBowl.com
Mootaz
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Mootaz »

I'd like to play unusual blood bowl variants. street bowl, beach bowl, death bowl, dungeon bowl, things you seldom see in tournaments.

Mordredd
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Mordredd »

TuernRedvenom wrote:
Loony Toadquack wrote: It'd be nice to see national teams of greater than 8 coaches. I'm sure there'd be demand for this.
I wholeheartedly (but respectfully) disagree on this! I think just getting 8 belgian coaches together will be a problem (see last year's eurobowl). More than 8 coaches might be fine for England, France, Spain and Germany but I think almost all other teams would struggle.
I think that assuming that prestige will draw the coaches in is rather dangerous, it's the first time it's organised for Pete's sake!
Call me pessimistic but I also don't see many coaches coming from abroad to participate in the individual side-tourney.

just my 2 cts
I agree with Tuern on this one. If anything I think it would be better to have smaller teams. It is quite expensive to travel from Aus/NZ, to the point that I'd be amazed to see either country pull together 8 players with the necessary cash to fly to the UK.

We could try to cater to the fact that different countries will be able to raise different sized teams by having multiple team events. So you would, for example, have tourneys for 8 man teams, 4 man teams, 2 man teams and individuals all running in parallel. Each country could enter 1 team into each event but would not have to enter a team into all of them.

We could even make it like the Olympics and award gold/silver/bronze medals for each event but not declare an overall winning country.

Mordredd's Apocalypse: the Old World's premier Dwarf Magnet. :-?
Pipey

Post by Pipey »

TR - yeah, you might well be right. Some nations may have difficulties recruiting, while some may have too many coaches who want in. Guess we'd just have to wait and see how much interest there is nearer the time before setting a number.

For day one I think painting comps would be a good idea as would dungeonbowl, streetbowl etc. Some kind of BBRC discussion/seminar would be good. Somewhere to play non-NAF practice games? And just plenty of time to meet/get to know new coaches.

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

Could always represent another country

a Blazing Saddles -Esque "to tell a family secret my grandmother is dutch" kind of thing.

for those in trouble making a set number anyway.

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
Pipey

Post by Pipey »

At the WPS Club Challenge in the UK (multi-system inter-club tournament) the problem of different sized teams has been solved by deriving an average score for all players - quite a complex calculation based on each individual's final placing. There is a minimum team size (about 6 I think) to reduce the possibility of tiny teams of excellent players dominating.

Something like this might be worth considering if the 8 man team Eurobowl format doesn't fit.

Yavatol
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Yavatol »

You can do various team tournament format, such as swiss style tournament but you cannot play your teammates and draw each nation only once (though you'llnot play all nations in that case) and calculate average team scores. That would help accomodating for different size teams, but you probably are going to need a min and a max number. If those are set I think the advantage of a small team is largely off-set by the larger teams larger pool of quality to draw from. This would

You'll loose the country versus country battles that is part of the charm of the Eurobowl, though.

Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

TuernRedvenom wrote:I wholeheartedly (but respectfully) disagree on this! I think just getting 8 belgian coaches together will be a problem (see last year's eurobowl).
I have to agree. we're having enough trouble getting 5 Canadians together for the North America Cup.

The TBBf is back! http://tbbf.obblm.com/