Announcing the NAF World Cup 19, 20, and 21 of October, 2007

All discusions for the upcoming NAF BB World Cup should be discussed here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Hangus
Scotland's Saviour

Re: Concept

Post by Hangus »

Bevan wrote: In relation to all the remarks about how to run the event and team selection I suggest that the organising comittee needs a majority of members who have often travelled to events outside England. They are more likely to look at the whole event from the viewpoint of those of us who need to travel, rather than locals who don't need any special effort to get there.
I think OMM and Woody have a few foriegn tourneys under their belt to qualify.

Reason: ''
Down with this sort of thing....
Careful now.....

Where's my hat?
Wightlord
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Wightlord »

stick_with_poo_on_the_end wrote:Joemanji.....

Just behave yourself you're starting to look silly.
I have to say that I think Joemanji has some fair points. I know the guys who represent England at eurobowl are made up of dedicated players and thats good for that tourney. But surely for the World cup there should be a merit/representation selection process for players to represent their country?

Things you never expect to hear in a sane world......"I went home a broken man. Contemplating my place in a universe where Shaniepoo was king" - No Number
And..."Shaniepoo is our glorious champion!" - Leipziger
Dave
Info Ed

Post by Dave »

every country has to do that on it's own .. NAF can never and probabely will never force a means of qualification on anyone.

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Hangus wrote:If you played a Foreign tourney then yes, 11 of the 18 (that i have counted so far) have played. So i guess that would be a yes.

Besides even if it was any one can play then the 8 that played for england are in the top 13 in the UK. Morderedd is Scottish that counts him out, Lycos has two others in the top 12 and Geggster has another one thats 12. Gumbo is the only english player who has the right to feel a bit peeved about playing and i have talked to him about it and he is fine.
That is of course self-perpetuating ... the more tournaments you go to, the more chance to earn NAF rankings. Tournaments like Eurobowl are not open, yet award NAF points unavailable to all other coaches. The NAF rankings are a representative of three things: coaching ability, dedication and disposable income.

Please let us stop pretending that the Eurobowl squad is selected on the basis of coaching ability. It is a group of friends, and I have no problem with that. Maybe this group have become better coaches because of their tournament experience, particularly in quality events such as Eurobowl. But that is the not the reason they are on the squad.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Yavatol
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Yavatol »

Dave wrote:every country has to do that on it's own .. NAF can never and probabely will never force a means of qualification on anyone.
But the NAF can enforce an open standard, welcoming everybody whether they have friends in high places or not.
The longer I look at all this the more I have to agree with Joe. This is not a world cup, it is the private (yet very public) playground for a group friends. There is no problem with that, just don't expect everybody else to approve and aplaud. And don't get upset when they don't. But most of all don't asume you'd be representing your national BB community in any way.

Dave
Info Ed

Post by Dave »

I think your last comment is not true .. it depends very, very much on HOW a country decides to select his team. If we (holland) can find a way that pleases everyone AND gives everyone at least some chance of being in the team.

The setup of the whole tournament is yet to be decided, let's do that first and then see what the ANF has to impose on the national teams.

And Joemanji .. I propose you make a different thread about england team selection, or invite everyone at some private forum or something else. This discussion is on the WC, not on UK team selection.

hoomin_erra
Leek chewing thread Necromancer

Post by hoomin_erra »

Right, once a final decision is made after the bloodbath, can some one e-mail me and tell me what i happening?

I think i'm leaving TBB, things are getting pathetic.

A weirdo in a Bowler hat and a Kilt!!!!!
[url=http://www.createforum.com/teamscotlandbb/index.php?mforum=teamscotlandbb/]Scotland's BB Forum[/url]

Lucifer is Broken!!!!
Hangus
Scotland's Saviour

Post by Hangus »

Joemanji wrote: Please let us stop pretending that the Eurobowl squad is selected on the basis of coaching ability. It is a group of friends, and I have no problem with that. Maybe this group have become better coaches because of their tournament experience, particularly in quality events such as Eurobowl. But that is the not the reason they are on the squad.
Joe I like you I really do but you need to wake up and smell what you are shovelling.

The squad are the best players available to England. Yes they do a lot of tournaments and yes they get a lot of NAF points doing so but surely playing alot of tournaments, getting the points and being the best is what its about IMO.

Joe you are one of the best Lizardmen coaches i have ever played (only a quad skull stopped you winning a game you dominated :D ) and you are very right about income being a factor, but if you ever had the chance to play in a foreign tourney then you stood a very good chance of playing for England as would anyone.

Yes the England squad are all mates but that is just one of the factors that goes into it and a very small one at that.

Careful now.....

Where's my hat?
Dave
Info Ed

Post by Dave »

OK .. team selection discussions are now over. Let's first see how the WC is going to be run, THEN each country can start their own discussion. Let's not make this thread as messy as the german tema selection thread two years ago.

Yavatol
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Yavatol »

Dave wrote:OK .. team selection discussions are now over. Let's first see how the WC is going to be run, THEN each country can start their own discussion. Let's not make this thread as messy as the german tema selection thread two years ago.
You already taking it for granted that each country WILL be selecting a team. Whereas most of the debate is about whether they SHOULD in the first place.

Dave
Info Ed

Post by Dave »

nope .. if the tournament setup is different it won't be nessecary obviously. Before ANY discussion the tournament setup must be known .. you won't know what you're talking about.

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Hangus wrote:Yes the England squad are all mates but that is just one of the factors that goes into it and a very small one at that.
And most of them became friends through BB and by attending all those foreign tournaments together...

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Glorian Underhill
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Glorian Underhill »

Dave wrote:nope .. if the tournament setup is different it won't be nessecary obviously. Before ANY discussion the tournament setup must be known .. you won't know what you're talking about.
Every Year the same. :roll: :)
And everytime in the country that is hosting.

So I agree to Dave. Wait for the Rules, then scream. And please in private. The italian discussion this year was either not nice, but they keap it under themselfes so no one can interfere with inner politics of each country.

Spike!ImageSchau - Der deutsche Blood Bowl Podcast
http://www.soehne-sigmars.de/feed/spikeschau/
Hangus
Scotland's Saviour

Post by Hangus »

Dave wrote:OK .. team selection discussions are now over. Let's first see how the WC is going to be run, THEN each country can start their own discussion. Let's not make this thread as messy as the german tema selection thread two years ago.
ok Dave, but maybe this could be taken into consideration.

viewtopic.php?t=21014

Careful now.....

Where's my hat?
Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

I can't help thinking that the NAF World Cup should be held separate to Eurobowl.

Holding a 3-day tournament which relies entirely on numerous coaches travelling across continents, spending huge sums of money and making enormous sacrifices is a very ambitious venture. It is completely unchartered territory and a massive gamble in my opinion.

Should Eurobowl be sacrificed for such a risky venture? Were Eurobowl champs Spain consulted before this decision was made?

I applaud absolutely the aspiration of a World Cup of BB. It is the stuff of dreams to see coaches representing teams from all over the world competing against eachother at the highest level.

But we have seen that it is difficult to generate interest outside of Europe when such sacrifices are involved. Are we really going to see eight coaches each from America, Canada and Australia? Eight individuals from each team willing to spend thousands of pounds to travel across the world to play Blood Bowl?

I just hope we don't see a World Cup which is no more than Eurobowl plus a small handful of non-European coaches.

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com