Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Grimthorn
Experienced
Experienced

Idea's to mix up a tournament.

Post by Grimthorn »

Morning/Afternoon/Evening everyone.

We've just finshed another sucessful tournament in the form of WeagleBowl 2019, now we have been running this for 4 years now and most people who attend seem to have a good time.
The problem we had this year was 4 dwarf teams (nothing wrong with dwarfs (nothing right with them either :P )), and admittedly, this is our own fault with the rules pack we use (see below).

All teams will have 1,100,000gp to purchase their team as per the rule-books and the teams of legend PDF.

Star players may be selected if you already have 11 rostered players. If, however, both you and an opponent are using the same star player, neither team may use them (as they have been double booked and can’t play for both teams).

Wizards and special play cards may not be used but all other inducements may be selected (Bribes, Halfling Master Chef, etc.)

Skills will be given as follows:
• Before Game 2 you may give a normal skill to a single chosen rostered player.
• Before Game 3 you may give a normal skill to a single chosen rostered player.
• Before Game 4 you may give a normal skill to a single chosen rostered player.
• You may wait to choose your skill until after you find who you are facing in the next game.
• Rostered players may only ever receive a single skill.
• Stat increased may not be awarded.

Weagle Bowl 2019 is a ‘resurrection style’ tournament so all injuries are forgotten after each match (however we do like to know how many players have been killed, so please do let us know!). Raise The Dead spells for Undead and Necromantic will only give you the free zombie for that game.

If you have any problems on the day please speak to a member of the event staff that will be able to assist you.

EVENT POINTS:
• 7 points for a win
• 3 points for a draw
• 0 points for a loss
• 1 point per casualty caused (max 3 points)
• 1 point per touchdown scored (max 3 points)
• Blocking, fouling and crowd push casualties will count towards your casualty score. Failed dodges, GFI’s or kick-off result injuries will not count.

Now being a lazy git, has the mega-brain that is the TFF community got any ideas to "jazz" it up for next year?

Reason: ''
Weagle Bowl Tournament Organizer .
Official holder of the Bunker Bowl V wooden spoon 2016
Official holder of the Weagle Bowl wooden spoon 2018
howlinggriffon
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: Idea's to mix up a tournament.

Post by howlinggriffon »

I think these rules were based on my old Bunker Bowl rules (which were based on the old Carrot Crunch rules!) and the problem I had with them in my tourneys was that it gave too much of a benefit to bashy teams. Agility teams would most likely get a few TD and get bonus points for that but it's pretty easy to get casualties for a bash team especially if those cas include from crowd pushes, fouling and bad language. If you didn't want to change it too much, you could do away with the easy casualties and leave it to just the standard casualties.

If you wanted a rewrite entirely, I guess there's lots of options. Doing away with bonus points entirely would stop the bash teams dominating and it'd be a lot closer. As people mentioned to me after the last Bunker Bowl, there's enough of a bonus for taking an opposing player out of the game without awarding tournament points for doing it.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Agree with above, I think your bonus points are the draw for bash teams.
I would also increase the win/draw/loss base points spread as it's currently possible to score more with a busy 3-3/3-3 draw than a hard fought 1-0/0-0. I'm of the opinion that draws should not be worth more than a win.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

ARBBL ran with:
50 points for a win
25 points for a draw
5 point for a loss
0 points for conceding
3 bonus points will be awarded for each touchdown scored (Max 9pts)
2 bonus points will be awarded for each Casualty scored (Max 6pts)
1 bonus point will be awarded if you keep a clean sheet.

For bonus purposes, a Casualty is any result of 10+ on the Injury roll (9+ for Stunty players) resulting from a Block, Secret Weapon, Crowd Push or Foul.
Failed Dodges, GFIs, Throw a Rock kick-off results etc. do not count.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.