Early bird incentives and the NAF

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Re: Early bird incentives and the NAF

Post by Joemanji »

Merrick wrote:Thrudball has been doing early bird bonuses for years and nobody has batted an eyelid.
This isn't true. I seem to remember being NTO when Frank introduced these and tried to convince him not to. Since I'm no longer NAF staff I can say that I'm not a fan of on-pitch bonuses, and have generally avoided events that use them. I know others who feel similarly.

Reason: ''
*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Dionysian
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Dionysian »

Something that may help TOs get funds early is to simply state the dates due on the major costs. If the tourney is in June and you need to pay for the hall in March simply letting us know that will mean a lot of us make sure we get the money to you before then. There'll still be the usual suspects who prefer to POTD, but it should drastically lessen your financial risk and reduce the need for y'all to hide interim bank statements from the wife.

thor87
Super Star
Super Star

Post by thor87 »

lunchmoney wrote:
Purplegoo wrote: I attended Thrud a couple of times when they did this, and quietly waived my freebies when playing someone without (while lobbying Frank to stop doing it).
You are not the only one ;)
This has been noted...

SquadChaos Captain.
TO of Thrudball
Attemptee of the "Best Painted 29" Challenge (Only Humans to go)
mawph
Super Star
Super Star

Post by mawph »

Dionysian wrote:Something that may help TOs get funds early is to simply state the dates due on the major costs. If the tourney is in June and you need to pay for the hall in March simply letting us know that will mean a lot of us make sure we get the money to you before then. There'll still be the usual suspects who prefer to POTD, but it should drastically lessen your financial risk and reduce the need for y'all to hide interim bank statements from the wife.
This is a good idea. I'll either know for sure that I'm attending a tournament well in advance, or will be virtually pay on the day. If I know I'm attending and I saw that fees were due at a certain point in time, I'd pay up early. Its not that everyone would, but would probably assist things along (for instance, Thrud above - most expensive tournament I go to, iirc, but I'd pay today if Thor pointed out he was needing the cash for it next week).

Blackshirt Hunter Extraordinaire (2004)
Fish out of water (Waterbowl 2012)
Winner Thrud 2019!
thor87
Super Star
Super Star

Post by thor87 »

Loki wrote: If you are free and want a tournament that weekend Thorball 2 is on! (just for reference he has had 5 people pay vs BUBBAs 28 - get your finger out and pay TO's and this wouldn't be an issue)
Cheers for the shout out, and I 100% support the "get your finger out" stance. I was fortunate enough to out the very small profits aside from thorball1 to cover the hall for this year, otherwise I would have been bricking it about ticket sales for this year (and Tbh I am not too confident now...)

Thrud this year will be using an early bird system, but not for in game bonuses.

SquadChaos Captain.
TO of Thrudball
Attemptee of the "Best Painted 29" Challenge (Only Humans to go)