NAF tournament approval (UK but possibly wider)

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Sandwich
Star Player
Star Player

NAF tournament approval (UK but possibly wider)

Post by Sandwich »

Just wanted to raise a minor concern around NAF approval of tournaments in the UK.

With the new box release there has been a surge in new events appearing around the country, which is obviously great news.
However, there seems to be a slightly haphazard approach to what tournaments are being NAF approved, and which are not.

For instance, there's a 2-day tournament being run near Peterborough in April which clashes with a one-day tournament in Doncaster (91 miles away, according to Google Maps). This was the reason given for NAF approval being denied, the Peterborough guys were happy enough, all good.

Then I see on Facebook a new 2-day tournament popping up in Birmingham in May; fair enough, good news, its been NAF approved. But this clashes with a one-day event in Northampton, which has already been approved. Google Maps tells me these two events are 56 miles apart.

I think there may need to be some more visibility in how events are being approved. What concerns me, as a tournament organiser (1st time for me, but our event has run for 5 years now) is that unless we're particularly early booking up (which not everyone always can be), and unless we use a particular channel for chasing up approval, we may miss out on that shiny NAF badge.

I'm not having a go at the UK NAF reps as they've always been more than helpful whenever I've needed anything, but if the game keeps on growing I think we're going to see more and more clashes.
Also: I'm not meaning to cause any issues with these tournaments, they are purely used as examples... I'm not sure I can make the April weekend but if I can I'll probably go to Peterborough anyway, and the reason the May weekend stood out is its my wedding anniversary so I know I can't make tournaments then! ;-)

Reason: ''
Stunty Cup: NAFC 2014, WISB IV
Most TDs: Cambridge Doubles 2011, Carrot Crunch VI, Boudica Bowl
Wooden Spoon: STABB Cup 2
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Re: NAF tournament approval (UK but possibly wider)

Post by sann0638 »

It's a good point mate, thanks, and one we'll talk about at the next committee meeting.

Mike

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

I would also like to put forward the idea of a relaxing of the distance rule in certain circumstances.

Two competing 'traditional' tournaments should not be sanctioned for the same day, e.g. Gert Bowl and the Welsh Open should not be on the same day. But if a new league wanted to run a tournament in Gloucester on the same day as Gert, and could guarantee 10 of their own coaches that would attend, why not sanction both? It wouldn't hurt Gert, as Gert players would stay there, but it helps to grow the hobby and the community.

firebreather
Champion Muppet

Post by firebreather »

Pleased that this is going to be looked at, was surprised to find out that the reason the 1 day winterbowl at element games was non-naf was because it clashed with the welsh open :o

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Really? Hmm.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Wobert
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Wobert »

Agreed - Infamous Bowl also clashed with the Welsh open and so wasn't NAF approved but still had 20 coaches attend.

speedingbullet
Star Player
Star Player

Post by speedingbullet »

Good to hear this will be considered by the committee and hopefully an evolution of procedure/guidance will follow