Are team events ranked correctly?

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Darkson
Da Spammer

Are team events ranked correctly?

Post by Darkson »

Something that occurred to me a few years back, and again has bumped it's way into my thinking as I'm planning the Pick'n'Mix for later in the year.

Part of the NAF ranking system is based on NAF coaches present in the event:
The number of NAF coaches in the tournament determines K-Value in this equation. The formula is:

K-Value = (Square Root (Number of NAF coaches) ) * 2

The Majors have a fixed K-value, regardless of how many are actually in attendance. This is based on 60 coaches, but then double points are awarded. Eurobowl is also now treated as a Major for ranking points.
But I wonder if, for team events, this is correct forumla to use? Wouldn't/shouldn't it be based on the number of teams in an event, rather than players? As I understood it (many years ago, so please correct me if I've got it wrong) the bigger events (i.e. more players) get a higher K-value because it's harder to get multiple wins, as there's more chance of playing someone with an equal (within reason) record than at a smaller event, where that might not be possible.
And I have no issue with that.

But although team events might have high numbers, the potential pool of players is a lot smaller.

For example:
One year, both the ARBBL Open and Pick'n'Mix have 36 coaches.

At the ARBBL Open, I can draw one of 35 coaches. I win the first game, so I have a pool of 34 opponents for round 2.
At the P'n'M (team of 3), I can only draw one of 35 coaches for round 1 (as it's picked on team then coach within team). I also win the first game, but now I only have a pool of 10 opponents (1 coach per team who is in the same position as me within their respective team).

So, should Team events going forward (and historically?) have a K-value based on the number of teams rather than players, or have I missed something blindingly obvious within the whole ranking forumla?

(And before anyone asks, my rankings would take a hit if this was applied in most cases, so I'm not asking for my benefit. ;) )

Reason: ''
Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Re: Are team events ranked correctly?

Post by Joemanji »

Interesting question. Certainly at the larger teams events, Swiss within Swiss makes your average game harder than at an individual event I would agree. Whether this needs to be reflected in the K value is not something I'm going to attempt to worry about too much with so many data nerds in the community. :wink: But the K value is already a very vague number (it takes absolutely no account of quality of coaches, only quantity). So whilst you are probably right, there are already larger issues that are not being taken into account by the formula (without even getting into things like rankings degrading over time etc).

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: Are team events ranked correctly?

Post by Darkson »

Wasn't to worried about the larger team events as I guessed they'd hit the ceiling for K-value, whichever way it was counted (well, at least the WC, not sure on EuBowl/Open), was thinking more of the indie team event.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.