Score tournament software - how could it be improved?

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Pug
Legend
Legend

Re: Score tournament software - how could it be improved?

Post by Pug »

I was going to say that an Internet access is not always available...Podders got there first...

Carry On.

Reason: ''
"In Dodge We Trust"
Da_Great_MC
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Da_Great_MC »

We often (almost always) use following tiebreakers:

- number of wins
- number of draws

If we use these, we have to manualy input them for every player, each time they bring in a result. It would be great if the program counted #wins and #draws for us.

Never forget Bologna

- Da Great MC has Dutchies for breakfast -
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Interesting MC - what scoring system do you combine that with?

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Da_Great_MC
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Da_Great_MC »

sann0638 wrote:Interesting MC - what scoring system do you combine that with?
2+TD win = 5 points
1TD win = 4 points
draw = 2 points
1TD loss = 1 point
2+TD loss = 0 points

tiebreakers:
1. #wins
2. #draws
3. opponent score

So these first and second tiebreakers come into play quite often. It would be downright fantastic if they were automatically included in the software.

Never forget Bologna

- Da Great MC has Dutchies for breakfast -
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

I've used head-to-head record as a tiebreaker, and would use it more were it included in Score! I think it is a great tiebreaker as it leaves everything to play for in the final round.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
murley
Rookie
Rookie

Post by murley »

sann0638 wrote:Great, thanks Murley - about the manual, is it just that it is no good in Spanish, or is the original no good.

Other ideas great though.
I think this guy has not seen your wiki 8) Your site helps but in my opinion, it is not documentation at all (as is not written by the programmer) :wink:
Darkson wrote:
murley wrote:I post some comments from the spanish forum:
kevindez wrote: - Not allow to create new round if ALL results in (you can’t see the actual alert if there is hurry)
You can't create a new round if not all results are in, it won't allow you to.
When I was translating the post I was thinking the same.. :orc: Thanks for the response!

THE BLUE SQUIG PLATFORM: FOR A LBN WITHOUT CORRUPTION AND WITH TRANSPARENCY
Maybe we are not the best LBN's coaches. Maybe we don't need it..
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Joemanji wrote:I've used head-to-head record as a tiebreaker, and would use it more were it included in Score! I think it is a great tiebreaker as it leaves everything to play for in the final round.
out of interest would this work between 3?

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Depends how you programmed it. You could just move onto the next tiebreaker as normal if not.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Elyoukey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Elyoukey »

i think it would be an interesting feature to be able to put the results on internet live. i mean after each round draw, being able to put them online somewhere so the non participants can follow there friends during the tournament.

i already brainstormed this a bit because the internet connection is an issue, but a simple QRcode to scan could send the information to a website. I know that there should be at least 1 internet connected smartphone in the bunch of players.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Unless I missed it, the ability to edit games if uploaded via the .xml output.

I tried something after the Pick'n'Mix (adding the coaches races before the day 2 results), seems the NAF site only reads the original Race list and ignored the one I added. I thought I'd change them all to "multiple races" in Score before uploading the .xml, but even if I'd done that I couldn't see a way to edit.

[Edit - whoops! Realised this is a NAF site issue, not a Score issue. I'll leave it here as I'm not sure which NAF thread it would be best on. :oops: )

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
txapo
Star Player
Star Player

Post by txapo »

I would like to have the option not to "pair" members of the same club so that they don't play against themselves. Sometimes people who play inthe same league make a two hour trip to play against someone who belongs to the same league and is a bit odd.

Does this option exist already? I don't know but it would be nice.

Of course in a two day tournament I would pair them for the final if needed bot otherwise I would prefer not. I normally do so at the draft changing it a bit for the first game and then every body plays against his clubs on the second... :smoking:

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Yes it does, I used it this year at the Pick'n'Mix.
Score help.rtf wrote:Groups, First Round Only: Acts as Groups, Individual Draw during the first round and as Groups, Normal Draw in subsequent rounds. This mode allows you to avoid match ups between league mates during the first round of a tournament.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
txapo
Star Player
Star Player

Post by txapo »

But only during the first round,... is not posible for the whole of the tournamet???

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

It can, but I'm not sure such an event would be NAF ranked. There are other options, all listed in the help file, I only put the one I mistakenly thought you meant.

Vigfus
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Vigfus »

Here's some things that I find are missing in Score after the last Eurobowl:
1. the option to delete players: you can add players, but when the shit hits the shovel, there is no way to remove entries from the database.
At Eurobowl this led to us having to reenter the draw manualy. A seperate software agent that allows you to manipulate the database might be handy.
2. A mechanism to allow you to enter reserve players so if one player doesn't play in one of the games, a reserve can take his place. This might be through that seperate software described above.
3. For team tournaments, the option to give an extra x points to the winning team. (basicly the same option you have as for the individual results.
4. For team tournaments, include the group results in the presentation (or even group results take precedence over individual results)
5. A check to have equal numbers as members of a team. (all teams have the same amount of players).
6. A larger number of entries possible in score for groups. Now this is rather limited, and an import of data solves this, but it would be better to just be able to fill this in manually as well.
7. An additional calculated bonus per round.

Some things that you may want to test:
1. If you are doing the group draw, and players are not active, we found that the "non-active" players are also included in the draw. This was the basis for the whole mess we had with the Eur'Open.
2. According to some of our result entrants, the entry seems to be wrong when using the switch home and away button when entering results through the presentation mode. I don't know if this is accurate or not, but you may want to check it out.

I am De Duvel, but you can call me Sjapie