How much is too much for a tourney?

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Xtreme
Mr. Zlurpee

How much is too much for a tourney?

Post by Xtreme »

Alright I'm going to be looking at some locations today, and getting a location for my tournament is going to be the biggest factor in determining how much the entry fee will be. So in your opinon what is a reasonable price to pay for an entrance fee for a tournament. Assume I am offering nothing but the tournament.

Reason: ''
ImageImage
Indigo
Not Grumpy in the slightest

Post by Indigo »

I've paid £40 to get into one before. For an independent upto about £25.

narkotic
Da Collector

Post by narkotic »

Indigo wrote:For an independent upto about £25.
What a coincidence... :wink:

TiMuN
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by TiMuN »

We've been lucky enough in Spain, as so far, we've been on free venues, so we had tourneys for about 8€ (6€ NAF members) .. This year, we will see it raised to the 10€ / 15€ numbers, due to larged tournaments, and cheap venues, but none free anymore ..

[b]TiMuN[/b]
[size=75][img]http://www.bloodbowl.net/NAF/ArticleImages/naf.gif[/img] Member #181
[url=http://www.bloodbowlforo.org]BloodBowlForo.org[/url] | [url=http://spanishteam.tbbl.org]Spanish Team[/url][/size]
Galis
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Galis »

TiMuN wrote: but none free anymore ..
Not exactly Timun :wink: . Celtic Bowl at Orense is Free (0€ cost), including acommodation and some prices. is not the biggest :-? tourney but grows year by year.

----------------------------------------

About tourney´s cost, it depends. we can´t forget that european (or another continent) ways of life and rents are very different. An elevated cost would be very expensive to any countries and vice-versa (sometimes a cheap cost would seem suspicious).
We have an elevated number of different tourneys to choose: cheap ones, expensive ones. Every one has different ways to chapt players (prices, exclusive minis, gifts, beer :oops: ...) We are lucky :D

[url=http://www.buey.org/openair.html][img]http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/7384/avatartorneoforo2ox.jpg[/img][/url]
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Eucalyptus Bowl tickets are currently AU$25, but will be AU$35 on the door. That seems to be roughly in line with other tournaments over here. The big expense, of course, is venue - taking most of the budget.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Indigo
Not Grumpy in the slightest

Post by Indigo »

Hosting stuff in London boosts the budget by a lot too :(
This place is too expensive :roll:

Musta Surma
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Musta Surma »

I would say in the order of 25£ to 35€ to participate in a tournament should be the top for me.

Success renders the foolish wise,
and failure makes the wise foolish!
Melifaxis
Legend
Legend

Post by Melifaxis »

I charge $25 for the Brouhaha ($30 for non-NAF). That covered two days of drinks/food, a few trophies, and prizes. Last year I lost a few bucks as I only had 14 coaches and Boston is a bit on the pricey side of things. But as I lost less than what it would cost me to travel to an event I considered it a wash. I did not have to pay for a room though.

NAF Rankings
Commissioner: HBBL & GSBBL (7's)
Tournament Organizer: The Beantown Brouhaha & the Draughthouse Massacre & The Tricorn Cup
NBA Heretic & Proud Beer-Drinker of the NFL
DM
Experienced
Experienced

Post by DM »

ianwilliams wrote:Eucalyptus Bowl tickets are currently AU$25, but will be AU$35 on the door. That seems to be roughly in line with other tournaments over here. The big expense, of course, is venue - taking most of the budget.
...and don't forget to mention the impact the insane public liability insurance premiums in Australia have on costs too...

*grumble grumble* damn ambulance chasers & corrupt legal system *grumble grumble*

[url=http://www.ausbowl.com/]AUSBOWL[/url] - Bloodbowl Gaming Down Under!
Duke Jan
Legend
Legend
Location: Watching the great unclean armpits of a Beast Of Nurgle

Post by Duke Jan »

I think most two day tourneys here are 15-20€ (NAF 10-15€). Excluding acommodation. One day tourneys are often free.

[edit]What I wanted to add. If you're in some bustling metropolis you can charge more since lots of people will be spared the cost of travelling to the location. [/edit]

Nuffle Sucks!
Musta Surma
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Musta Surma »

I have only once participated in a tournament where the food was part of the price and that was a great way to do it, the food was very good as well. I am more than willing to pay something extra for the ticket if the food is part of it all. I am looking for to RDV BB 3 in paris in two weeks, there the food is part of the show (looking forward to come).

Success renders the foolish wise,
and failure makes the wise foolish!
Dave Gee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dave Gee »

This is quite a difficult question to answer as there are several variables.

As others have said, about 25 quid/bucks/euros/shekkles is reasonable BUT it depends on what you get. A good tournament NEEDS the following:

1. A reasonably roomy venue so that you're not all crushed together.
2. Nice trophies for the winners of any catagories (most TDs, best painted team etc.)
3. Handy hotels.
4. Handy food outlets.
5. Good parking.
6. Handy for local public transport.

If any of these are missing then it can impact on the enjoyment for some attendees.

Other nice touches could be thrown in such as prizes for the winners or freebies for the attendees (coins, figs etc.)

If you can do all this cheap and pass the savings on to the attendees then you will have a winning tournament.

This is my opinion and sorry if it sounds preachy.

Dave

Dave Gee
Bristol Big'Uns Wargames Club