Alberta Open, Sept 3, 4, 2005

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Colin
Legend
Legend

Alberta Open, Sept 3, 4, 2005

Post by Colin »

The Alberta Open Blood Bowl Championship will be held on the Labour Day weekend (Sept. 3 and 4, 2005) at the Bunker, home of the G.R.O.T.S. gaming club, in the Compusoft Rogue Trader store, 2076A - 50 Ave, in Red Deer, Alberta, Canada.
Admission will be CDN$30.00, $25.00 for G.R.O.T.S. club members and NAF members.

The format will be a 5 round Swiss-style tournament with TR100 teams using the latest ruleset (LRB 4.0), no star players except for Goblin teams. Strict 2 hour timelimit for each round (4 minute turn rule will not be inforced). Teams reset after each round and players may add one regular skill choice to one different player at the end of each round. Max of 32 coaches. Prizes will be awarded for Most TDs, Most CAS, Best Painted Team, as well as for 1st and 2nd place. Special Nuffle Sucks awards for perons finishing last as well as Most CAS suffered. Special Triple Skulls award to anyone who is unfortunate enough to roll triple skulls during the tournament (if more than one, tie break goes to one who rolled first, exception will be for person who rolls triple skulls and rerolls triple skulls, they automatically win the award) :wink:
Schedule as follows;

Sat Sept 3, 2005
9:00-10:00am Registration
10:00-12:00noon Round One
12:00-1:30pm Lunch Break
1:30-3:30 Round Two
3:30-4:00 Break
4:00-6:00 Round Three

Sun Sept. 4
10:00-12:00noon Round Four
12:30-2:00 Lunch Break
2:00-4:00 Final round
4:00-4:30 Break
4:30-5:30 Awards ceremony

More info to follow shortly

Edit; Full rules are available on the website along with a registration form that can be printed off and sent in. Remember, as there are only 32 spaces available, all coaches must preregister.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/grots/

Reason: ''
GO STAMPEDERS!
DesTroy
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DesTroy »

You do realize that if I show up, the Nuffle Sucks and Triple Skulls awards are practically mine already! :lol:

Too bad Toppy wasn't awarding anything like that at Alberta Apocalypse...at least I woulda gone home with something! :( That's the last time I play orcs in a tourney... :-?

---troy
[img]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p41/DesTroy1968/nba3-1.gif[/img] [b]NBA Novice Heretic[/b]
As renowned bard Bruce Slannstein said, "Blind faith - in anyone or anything - will get your ogre killed."
Colin
Legend
Legend

Post by Colin »

You think you can duplicate your triple skulls roll you had last year in Toppy's tourney? :D
Personally I don't think that's something to shoot for, but hey, I guess its better than not having any goal at all. :wink:

GO STAMPEDERS!
DesTroy
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DesTroy »

You, my friend, have only limited experience with my dice rolls...I have the unfortunate distinction in Lethbridge to be the possessor of the worst dice rolls in town, over a game-playing period of 20 years. :lol: It's sort of like what former Dallas Cowboys QB Don Meredith once said about RB Walt Garrison:

"If we needed four yards, I'd give the ball to Garrison and he'd get four yards. If we needed twenty yards, I'd give the ball to Garrison and he'd get four yards." :lol:

---troy
[img]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p41/DesTroy1968/nba3-1.gif[/img] [b]NBA Novice Heretic[/b]
As renowned bard Bruce Slannstein said, "Blind faith - in anyone or anything - will get your ogre killed."
atropabelladonna
Star Player
Star Player

Post by atropabelladonna »

Hmmm, I've never been to a BB tournament before, and I've got a feeling that this might be the closest one to Vancouver as there will ever be.

How quickly do seats for these tournaments go? I am not sure at the current time if I could commit, although I would like to.

Rimmer @ Thunderbowl
Thunderbowl Home Page www.thunderbowl.ca
Thunderbowl Data base www.thunderbowl.ca/tbsn

Atropabelladonna @ MBBL
atropabelladonna
Star Player
Star Player

Quick second question

Whats the average age for people at these tournaments? I'm 30 years old and I don't want to be want to be in a GW store on Saturday afternoon atmosphere if you know what I mean...

Rimmer @ Thunderbowl

Atropabelladonna @ MBBL
Colin
Legend
Legend

Post by Colin »

The store is an independant rogue trader store, mainly sells computers and GW (and other games) take up a corner of the store. There is a gaming room in the back that can accomidate 36 players. The BB league that I'm now running has 12 players in it right now (possibly one or two more joining) and yes, there are a couple of younger players, but most are adults. As well, the people I know who may be coming from Lethbridge, as well as the people I'm be contacting in Edmonton and Calgary are all around your age. I suspect very few non-adults will be at the tourney (possably a couple, but maybe not any) as kids tend to be attracted to 40K (which will have it's own tourney in a couple of months) and LOTR and the fact that kids have to beg there parents for the money to go to a tourney (which they might not get) whereas the adults will buy a ticket if they want to attend. Also tickets will have to bought in advance as we only have a certain amount of space and need to know when we sell out. I still have to get all the info onto our website and I'll post a link here. The tourney is waiting to be approved by the NAF (Ben, hurry up!), so it should be an NAF sanctioned tourney (so members will get cheaper tickets and also have the tourney results count towards their NAF ranking). Just think, if you or anyone else from Van comes over for the tourney, I'll definately have to get a "Most Travelled Coach" award. :wink:
I don't expect things to start selling quickly, as I said still have to get everything up on the website and contact people in Edmonton and Calgary, but I am going on vacation in a little over a week so things probably won't start rolling until after Easter. But I wouldn't expect people to start buying tickets right away since the tourney isn't until Sept, but I wouldn't wait until the last minute either. I would say you're probably safe for a couple of months if you need time to decide. If there's any other info you need, feel free to contact me.

GO STAMPEDERS!
atropabelladonna
Star Player
Star Player

Torg

Thanks for the info, I will definately think about it! I am thinking of planing my a week vacation in that area, and I have to convince the lady to let me play :P

Rimmer @ Thunderbowl

Atropabelladonna @ MBBL
DesTroy
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DesTroy »

Why not teach her the game and then bring her with you? :wink:

---troy
atropabelladonna
Star Player
Star Player

DesTroy wrote:Why not teach her the game and then bring her with you? :wink:
I've thought about it, but I think it would be too competative or maybe I would be too competative. She does like games, and we play Lost cities, and Carcassone, the castle together. Both are pretty much non competative games.

Rimmer @ Thunderbowl

Atropabelladonna @ MBBL
DesTroy
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DesTroy »

I dunno about that, the members of my league play the odd game of Carcassonne and it can get pretty cutthroat, especially with more players, and using expansion sets!!! :D

---troy
Colin
Legend
Legend

Post by Colin »

Buy your GF a Shadowfordge elf team (which is all female if you didn't already know), might get her interested in BB (but if it doesn't, you still have a great looking elf team) :wink:

GO STAMPEDERS!
atropabelladonna
Star Player
Star Player

DesTroy wrote:I dunno about that, the members of my league play the odd game of Carcassonne and it can get pretty cutthroat, especially with more players, and using expansion sets!!! :D
We've never played the generic version of carcassonne, just the Castle version which is only for two players. We generally play nice to one another, building our own keeps/roads/houses and markets. Its for the best that way, keeps her happy, which keeps me happy!

Its a great two player game (not as good as bloodbowl of courswe :wink: )

Rimmer @ Thunderbowl

Atropabelladonna @ MBBL
atropabelladonna
Star Player
Star Player

Torg wrote:Buy your GF a Shadowfordge elf team (which is all female if you didn't already know), might get her interested in BB (but if it doesn't, you still have a great looking elf team) :wink:
A friend of mine has the models, they are very nice. I still don't think it will intice her!

Rimmer @ Thunderbowl

Atropabelladonna @ MBBL
DesTroy
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DesTroy »

Hmm...how about telling her you'll both be vacationing in a major Albertan city...then take her to Red Deer! :lol:

Just kidding Torg...at least people know where Red Deer is, unlike the dump I live in...

---troy