Scariest tournament team...

Moderators: lunchmoney, Jimjimjimany, Boneless, deeferdan, TFF Mods

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Scariest tournament team...

Post by Joemanji »

What sort of line-ups do you think will perform well at next year's BloodBowl? Assuming 1 mil and GenCon star player rules.

Nothing new, but this will always be very effective:

2 Stormvermin
3 Gutter Runners
2 Throwers
5 Linerats
3 re-rolls
FF 1

Reason: ''
*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Heh, that's almost what I took this year (though I went 1 thrower, 6 lino's, 3 FF). 2 Tourneys with it, and I'm now one of the losest NAF ranked Skaven coaches in the world. Don't think I'll be trying it a 3rd time :lol:

If I can get it converted/painted in time, I might try a Norse team:

3 Blitzers
1 Thrower
2 Catchers
4 Linemen
1 Ogre
3 RR
2 FF

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

What went wrong with your Skaven? Although last year had all those star players, so I suppose it must have been that.

How about (DE):

4 Blitzers
7 Linemen
2 re-rolls
FF 1

or (Necro):

4 Wights
2 Ghouls
2 Werewolves
3 Zombies
2 re-rolls
FF 3

Both still quite "nice" I admit - not too scary really. Someone can surely do better! :D

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I dunno, they played a lot better in practice matches. Though failing a 2+ dodge with re-roll in to seperate games that would have given mre 2 draws instead of 2 losses doesn't help :roll: .

Maybe some day they'll return.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
neoliminal
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by neoliminal »

You went with 12 players on that roster. I find that for tournaments I prefer to take 11 players and an Apothacary.

In both situations you are securing yourself from losing a single player.

Let's look at the tradeoffs of each
A. Having an extra Lineman.
B. Having an Apoth.

Replacement Player
A. The replacement player is a lineman.
B. The replacement player is whatever player type

A. The replacement player starts next drive.
B. The replacement player stays on the field.

A. Never fails.
B. Fails 1-in-6 times.

A. Cost 50K
B. Cost 50K

In the cases where you have a lineman taken out first, the Apoth gives similar results with the slight advantage that you still have him on the field.

In the case that a GR/SV/Thrower gets taken out, you get much more value on your investement. It's like having bought an extra player of that position for 50K.

That's my take on it.

[b]NAF Founder[/b]
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

D'uh! Didn't think it was right. Yep, I traded the 2nd thrower for a apoth and 2 FF (stupid to forget, as I was arguing it's worth on the NAF forum :oops: ).

Also, at the BB, I faced 2 identical CD teams (which at that point I'd never beaten), 3 orc teams (with Varag), and an Undead side (with Luthor). I beat the deadies and one Orc side (game turned on first 2 turns, where I BH a BO[ failed apo} and a blitzer), and drew against the lst orc team I faced. Unforetunately, as soon as the CD's and Orcs caged up, I had little to get through the, and was forced to attempt to dodge GR's into the cage for a 2d block against, else they would all just stall for the score :roll: there again, I never said I was any good with Skaven, it was just all I had painted at the time. I would have taken Headsplitter, but I didn't/don't have a model painted for him yet.

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

If I was using that team, I would take Kick as my first skill, and use it to put the ball deep. I would then push some GR and/or SV into the opponent's half to pressure the ball. Once the cage is formed you're stuffed. :(

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Neo, what you've said about the apo makes alot of sense.

It is still a risk though; if you fail the roll twice (or more :( ) in the 6 games you could easily blow the whole tournament. Depends on the quality of your positionals vs. linemen, I suppose.

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

The scariest Skaven teams have 4 Gutter Runners. It makes it that much harder to take them out.

The team I'd most hate running up against is probably Chaos Dwarves. Something like

5 Hobgobs
4 Chaos Dwarves
2 Bull Centaurs
1 Troll
1FF
3 TRR

Or drop the Troll and take 6 CDs & 4 HGs.

As for the apoth - a lot depends on the team you take. Normally I'd much rather have the 12th man or extra reroll.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Odium Khan
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Odium Khan »

I'm seriously thinking about bringing Khemri to the tourney! Either them or the old Cowboys.
What was the rule set last year, was it 1 skill per game 1 star per team?
I'm thinking about this line-up:
7 Skeletons
2 Mummies
1 Ramtut III
2 Blitz-ra
3 RR
2 FF
1st & 2nd skills - Sure Hands on both blitz-ra, then perhaps block or guard on the Mummies
Would that qualify as scary? Granted, they will hardly win any games, but heck, my darkelves aren't either so...
Edit: In case of a starplayer free environment, maybe this would count as at least "worrying" if not downright scary:
5 Skeletons
4 Mummies
2 Blitz-ra
3 RR
2 FF
Well, I don't know. The DE blitzers certainly have their charm too...

DOUBT - Formerly Europe's northernmost Blood Bowl tournament.
BUBBLE - Umeå's premiere Blood Bowl league.
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

depends on the rules format involved

if they weight it in favour of touchdowns again then the slower grinding teams won't do so well, the very reason i switched from undead to chaos dwarfs so i could score more

so i am going to wait for the rules before passing judgement

i really wanted to take vampires but well we all know what state they are in atm ://

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

I don't need to say what I plan on taking do I?

I'll have either my Elves (nearly finished painting them) or my Lizards along for the ride too though.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.