Ideas for Tournament Seeding and Tournament Final Standings

Moderators: lunchmoney, Jimjimjimany, Boneless, deeferdan, TFF Mods

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Ideas for Tournament Seeding and Tournament Final Standings

Post by Smeborg »

I'd like to propose that in future major tournaments, participants are seeded according to latest NAF ranking, at least in the first round (but ideally beyond that). In a random draw, the no. 1 and no. 2 in the rankings could meet in the first round, inevitably putting one or both of them out of contention right away!

I'd also like to propose that in the final standings, coaches who are on equal points are ranked according to the total playing points of their opponents in the tournament. This is an idea from chess - if you've had a tougher draw, you deserve to be placed higher. It's not rocket science, and it's easy to calculate.

In general, I don't think ranking coaches by TDs (whether TDs for, or TD difference) is appropriate. One freak result against a weak player could win you the tournament. Also, you can easily score an extra TD late in a game because your opponent is taking risks in an attempt to equalise (or win). Does this mean that he's a worse player than the coach who always settles for a one TD loss (or a draw)? I think not.

Cheers

Reason: ''
Smeborg the Fleshless
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

That is completely unfair on all those coaches who aren't NAF. Furthermore NAF rankings are based on race - so this makes setting up the 1st draw more complicated.

Over 6 games a random draw for the 1st round makes little difference to final ranking.

IMO you can only rank tournaments on performance within the tournament. Net TDs 1st, then total TDs is the fairest method.

Reason: ''
Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams