Experienced

Post by Artificial Penguin »

I pray to God no one ever does this against me. :pissed:

Reason: ''
I'm a bubble in a sound wave
A sonic push for energy
Exploding like the sun
A flash of clean light hope

For Blood Bowl in Seattle, check out the Game Wizard in Ballard (www.game-wizard.com).
Al the Rat
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Al the Rat »

Deathwing wrote:Al, read the thread on the previous link. Acerak and neo are BBRC members, as is Andy. The wording's confusing, but they all ruled the same way. There is no change other than the hypnogaze must be used during the vamps action now as opposed to at any point during the team turn a la 3e.
Cheers Woody - read it already but only noticed the link after submitting my post.

Other spawny play by me was man marking a rookie rat ogre with Luthor, 1 die block up comes the skull turnover. Actually that isn't spawny that's just beardy :roll:

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

One turn scoring

Post by Smeborg »

Al the Rat - I believe it was without Quick Snap (but I am not certain).

Artificial Penguin - it's not difficult to score in 1 turn with rookie Woodelf or Skaven. I only taught myself how to do it recently. The key is to block your opponent in such a way as to push your own player (Catcher or Gutter Runner) forward. You need to do this twice, so the first block (blitz) needs (normally) to be a pushback (you keep your opponent standing, so that you can block him again).

How exactly you do things depends on your opponent's set-up. As a general rule, the more players that your opponent puts on or near the line of scrimmage, the more helpful it is to you.

A Re-roll is a great help - nearly essential. There's a lot of dice rolling to do, and I find quite a few are at 3+, rather than the ideal 2+. You also need the Re-roll to ensure you get a pushback with the first block.

When teaching myself the manoeuvre, I got a success rate of 30% with Woodies (using 11 players and a Re-roll). Skaven are not as good (no Catch, no Leap, and the Thrower is AG3). The success rate is lower against Dwarfs or Chaos Dwarfs, if set up correctly (all that Tackle). With Skaven against Chaos Dwarfs, I got a success rate in practice of between 15% and 20%.

It's also possible to do the same with rookie MA8 sides (i.e. with High Elfs, Humans and Lizzies), but it's more difficult, as you have to push yourself forward 3 squares. I expect the success rate would be relatively low (10% or less? - but I haven't tried). Apart from the high MA, Dodge and high AG are very useful. Lizzies might be quite good at the manoeuvre because of Stunty (again, I haven't tried).

You need a fullish roster (10 or 11 players on the pitch is best), although you can manage with fewer.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Smeborg the Fleshless
Artificial Penguin
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Artificial Penguin »

Bah, I get the concept, but I'm having a hard time picturing it. That explanation should help.

I'll probably have nightmares about it now :cry:

I'm a bubble in a sound wave
A sonic push for energy
Exploding like the sun
A flash of clean light hope

For Blood Bowl in Seattle, check out the Game Wizard in Ballard (www.game-wizard.com).
Indigo
Not Grumpy in the slightest

Post by Indigo »

if you could submit a picture, either mailing it or putting it online somewhere, that would be a real help - I'm v interested to see how this would work

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

One turn scoring - example

Post by Smeborg »

XXXLLL
XXXCLLL
DXXDLLD
XXXXXXXB

Hi, Indigo - the above shows the first turn. X is an empty space. C is your Catcher (scorer). L is your Linemen (of course, if some have AG4 and/or Dodge, it's easier). B is your Blitzer (Wardancer ideal, but others can do it). D stands for Defender. The set-up assumes that your opponent has 2 spaces between his 3 linemen on the line of scrimmage (if his linemen are closer together, it's easier for the scorer, although the manoeuvre may be different - more pushing and less dodging).

You start by dodging 2 players into the line of scrimmage to close avenues of retreat, bringing up players into the gaps behind for the same reason. The Blitzer leaps or dodges to the above position, and makes a 2 dice block on the defender. You need a pushback result. You retreat the Defender diagonally and push your Linemen in such a way that your Catcher (scorer) is pushed forward one square diagonally into your opponent's half.

You then carry on moving and dodging the Blitzer (helps if he has MA8 or 9 plus Dodge), and move one other team-mate to get something like the following position:

XXBLLL
XXLLLDL
DXCDLL

The right-most Lineman in the diagram (middle line) then blocks the same Defender, pushing him sideways (a knockdown is OK this time) so that he forces Linemen into your Catcher (scorer) who is pushed another square (diagonally or straight) into your opponent's half. The scorer is now 11 squares from the end zone, and can score (with 2 go-for-its, of course).

Of course, at some point you need to get the ball to the scorer (which may mean a catch at 3+ because of the tackle zone). I haven't given a true starting position, but you can work backwards from the first diagram to see how you need to set up. I usually put the Thrower in the middle of the park, and 1 or 2 Catchers/Gutter Runners deep. This is in case of a deep kick. These Gutter Runners/Catchers are also ideal for dodging into the line of scrimmage on the first turn (3+ dodge with re-roll), sometimes followed by a hand-off to the scorer. You need to leave a gap for these guys to run through, and fill the gap(s) behind with Linemen (and/or the Thrower).

Hope that helps. The variants will be almost endless, as much depends on your opponent's set-up, but I hope this is enough to give you the gist.

Scary, isn't it?

Cheers

Smeborg the Fleshless
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Frenzy can prove useful on skaven teams.....

I digress... spawny play of the tourney was at the end of my game one. I was sitting on a 3-0 with the ball safe when I declared TO with a blitzer 9 squares short of the EZ. My opponent points out that I might as well roll a gfi just in case, so I thank him and do so. Turn 8 IIRC, I pick it up a TZ, throw a long pass from within the TZ, catch in a TZ, dodge on a 4, dodge on a 3 and make the 2 gfis to score (no rerolls left)!! Would never have made it if I needed to! Still, lifted me to table 5 for Round 2!! :D

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

Me coming 4th!

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Al the Rat wrote:Other spawny play by me was man marking a rookie rat ogre with Luthor, 1 die block up comes the skull turnover. Actually that isn't spawny that's just beardy :roll:
No Al, that's just good play. 1/2 chance of him going down and turning over, 3/12 chance of you - assuming a push results in another 1 die block. If its 1/2 dice its even better.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Evil Git
Hoomin's Deliverer

Post by Evil Git »

oh well i suppose i should put down my spawny play of the day.

from kick off picked up the ball with a halfling and move him next to another one and hand off the ball (rolled a 5) picked up the halfling with the treeman and flung him down the pitch (the treeman was in a tacklezone but i got a 6 so it didn't matter).

halfling then lands in a tacklezone (another 6 yahoo) makes two dodge rolls to get out and makes a run to the endzone (needing a gfi for the last square)

i think i used up all my luck in that one move but it was a classic one.

http://www.createforum.com/teamscotlandbb
Zy-Nox
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Zy-Nox »

Spawny play........ has to be this one
Griff runs in to block my line elf, he rolls double skull re rolls into double skull, Griff hits the deck I beat his armour and then rolled 11 to injure :lol:
I laughed so much at this, it was turn 2 of the first half.

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3460]Hall Of Famer[/url]
Novice Heretic
Wielder of the Trout of Nuffle Slapping
"I hope this makes sense,most things make sense in my head, but not to other people"
dantitan76
Star Player
Star Player

Saturday night game with Long Shot

Post by dantitan76 »

Mine is a good one: playing at the Clarence hotel (From 12am to 3 am) with Long Shot. My Lizzies against his Wood Elfs. I won the tos, decide to receive. Kick off... 10 Blitz. Wardancer Jump catch the ball. Try to blitz him... Double skull... TD in turn 1... Set up again...Kick off... 10 Blitz. Wardancer Jump catch the ball. Try to blitz him... Double skull... TD in turn 2... At least I managed to score at the end of 2 half... ( I was nearly playing alone against 4 elf...)

After so many tourneys... time to get some other things in this live...
Diana "Glu-Glu" Titan is here... You got only 17 Years left to fear!!!! ;)
Geggster
Eurobowl Superstar

Post by Geggster »

Longshot blitzed you twice in the first two turns and was two up at the beginning of turn three even though you received?

I wouldn't believe it if he hadn't done the very same to me last October at the Spiky Tournament in Reading.

He was 3-1 up at half time and had the audacity to blitz me twice more in the second half to wrap up an 8-1 win. 8-1!!!!!!

What a joke.

squiggoth
Super Star
Super Star

Post by squiggoth »

Geggster wrote:He was 3-1 up at half time and had the audacity to blitz me twice more in the second half to wrap up an 8-1 win. 8-1!!!!!!

What a joke.
So you know how I felt then? ;)

Martijn (there's only 6 TD markers on a BB board, right?)

I have no signature and therefore I suck.
Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

Yep, i blitzed him twice. All the first half time was mine, i succed all my rolls and he didnot.
But second half was his.5 casualties on my elves2/3 ko. I was 3/0 at mid-time and 3/1 at the end of the game. Good laugh cos it wasnt in competition.
Against Paul, it was worst, because, we only talk a few before the game, tourny game, i blitzed him....a lot...and 8/1 was a spectacular and to answer to squiggoth,:yes, there is only 6 TD markers but minis can make the '7', '8'.
But after a second match against Geggster, it appears that his thrower was very impressed when he play against me. (we did 2/2 this time with 1 blitz at the last turn of the first mid-time=>didnt change anything this time)
Well, i hope i will have some more blitz in my next tourny.
(i never blitzed at BB42 matchs)

Good laugh

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/