viewtopic.php?t=2661&highlight=hypnotic+gaze

Reason: ''

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Al the Rat
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Al the Rat »

The player may use the hypnotic gaze after declaring his own action, in addition to anything that action allows him to do, but he must use the gaze before another player on his team declares an action.
Like Ian says this isn't clear at all. This is because it is all one sentence, so we have to take the clauses of the sentence in order. First clause may use his gaze during his action - simple, second clause in addition to other allowed actions. 3rd clause another is ambiguous - is it synonmous with subsequent? In the context of the sentence arguably it is, since the third clause is subordinate to the main clause.

If this is supposed to be ruled otherwise this should be a stand alone statement "The gaze must be used before any team member declares an action." If this were the intent then surely it should be written in such a way, in the same manner that the obligations of wild animal are written. "If a player with this racial characteristic wishes to use the gaze, he must declare and make his action first in the team turn."

To use Galak's programmer line of argument the statement as currently written is an "if, then" line. ie if situation x occurs, then impose rule y. Which would support the subsequent reading.

I agree in general lets get a BBRC ruling. I'm not too suprised that Andy didn't announce the changed usage of hypno gaze, as it would overturn the first ruling that he made on Saturday morning before play started. Whether he was right or wrong at least he was consistent.

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Al, read the thread on the previous link. Acerak and neo are BBRC members, as is Andy. The wording's confusing, but they all ruled the same way. There is no change other than the hypnogaze must be used during the vamps action now as opposed to at any point during the team turn a la 3e.

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Deathwing wrote:the hypnogaze must be used during the vamps action
Maybe they should just write that rather than the really confusing paragraph they already have. I mean if brits are getting confused what hope do those coaches who don't speak English as their 1st language have. I mean there are a lot of yanks and aussies who play :D

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

i tryed the 1 turn in 1 game but failed on the 2+ throw... to my catcher.

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

ianwilliams wrote:
Deathwing wrote:the hypnogaze must be used during the vamps action
Maybe they should just write that rather than the really confusing paragraph they already have. I mean if brits are getting confused what hope do those coaches who don't speak English as their 1st language have. I mean there are a lot of yanks and aussies who play :D
Couldn't agree more mate! from that other thread (last October):
neoliminal wrote:I think this was a reaction to the old way it was worded. You're right, it should just say that you can use hypnotic gaze only on your own action and that the effects wear off after you action has ended.
Deathwing wrote:As it stands, it's ambiguous at best, it's positively misleading at worse. If I'm reading it wrongly then so will a lot of others. Simply can't see what was wrong with the '02 Annual amendment if there's no rule change:

"...the player may use it at any time during their own action, in addition to anything else the action allows them to do.
Why the additional (misleading) text?
Deathwing also wrote:Yeah, well..what chance do people stand who's first language isn't English? LOL! :D
Unnecessary confusion. Simple as that.

neoliminal
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by neoliminal »

This confusion is regarding Hypnotic Gaze is cause by two factors:

1. The Rule was shortly written as some imply, that you could only use it at the start of your action... but later was changed.

2. We wanted to make clear that it was not a "free" action. There used to be "free" actions in the game that could occure at any point, but they were removed. To show that this "free action" status had been removed, the phrase about "before any other player action" was added. It seems now to be causing confusion.

To be clear, as I recall, Hypnotic Gaze can be used at any point in the Hypnotic Gaze players action. (After declaring the action, but before another player acts.)

John -

[b]NAF Founder[/b]
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

neoliminal wrote:Hypnotic Gaze can be used at any point in the Hypnotic Gaze players action. (After declaring the action, but before another player acts.)
That sounds pretty good. A damn site clearer than the existing text. Any chance of getting Andy to change it in Oct?

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

just like a blitz really

Geggster
Eurobowl Superstar

Post by Geggster »

Right back to spawny plays.

Last match. 1-0 coming up to half time. My Strip Ball Gutter Runner dodges through a TZ (with tackle so dodge nullified) on a 4 then out on a 3. Half die blitz, splat x 2, ball bounces into scoring position, and same GR picks up and score. To make matter worse, his blitzer rolls a 10 then an 11 for armour and injury.

2-0 at the half.

Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

spawny play againt me:
Againt a WE Team with one WD and one Treman
2nd game (i play against a Danish guy who has lost his fist game, and i won mine..)
My First turn:
I missed a leap with my strip ball Wardancer=>injured
His Fist Turn:
He blitzed my second Wardancer (without tacle...)=>injured my second Wardancer...
i turned my head on the right and said to Grumble:'i am dead'
it was my only loss....

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

maybe you should take up fortune telling

Artificial Penguin
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Artificial Penguin »

How the hell do people pull off 1-turn scores with rookie Skaven teams?

I'm a bubble in a sound wave
A sonic push for energy
Exploding like the sun
A flash of clean light hope

For Blood Bowl in Seattle, check out the Game Wizard in Ballard (www.game-wizard.com).
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

get a quicksnap and then push your player forward more with blocking
it can just be done with blocking without the quicksnap but a quicksnap makes things that bit easier.

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Artificial Penguin wrote:How the hell do people pull off 1-turn scores with rookie Skaven teams?
Blitz the opponent on the LOS back into your own half and then keep using secondary pushbacks to move your GR 2/3 squares into the opponents half.

Marcus did it to me on Friday night. :cry: