Experienced
Experienced

Post by Al the Rat »

Match Report

Tempus’ Few Gits Lineup
Luthor, 7 Linemen, 1 Blitzer, 2 Catchers, 1 Thrower
3 x Reroll, 2 x Fan Factor

Game 1 – The Crookback Cripplers – Skavs coached by Pete Bull

Notes are a bit short on this game (and all of them). However Pete was fielding a Rookie Skaven team, 2 Vermin, 2 Runners, Linerats and Thrower. Credit due for not having a star, but it pretty much meant that Luthor had the run of the pitch. The Skavs first offense looked certain for a TD, but an interception from Lineman #4 gave the Gits the initiative and after a dash up field first score. Pressure play from the next kick left the Gits 2 up at the break. A running play from the Skav kick gave a third to the Humans. But they couldn’t stop the final Skaven offence.

Final Score 3-1, flying start for the Gits.
Blitzer gets guard and then up to table 14

Game 2 – The Crimson Tide (I think) – Lizzies coached by Thomas Anderson

Tensest game of the weekend and my first ever playing lizards. Lineup was heavy on Sauri with Silli Billi. I was very glad to have a guard, though a tackler for the skinks might have been better. Thomas received and formed up for a cage drive down my right flank. With some lucky blocking, Luthor’s strength 5 and hypno gaze, and the guarding blitzer I stalled the cage just my side of the LOS. This let me threaten to sack the skink ball carrier. Thomas reacted with a dodging play dash for the line failing his second GFI in the EZ. Ball is loose and still in the EZ. Fortunately I had a catcher playing fullback who went for the loose ball only to knock it OOB to be eventually be thrown on in clear open space five squares from the EZ. With the ruck still pinning down all the Linemen and Sauri it was skink vs catcher for the ball (with a bit of Luthor help). After a failed pickup from a skink, a catcher gathered it and passed it out to my thrower who was unmarked on the LOS. He went chasing for the line, pursued and then jumped by a couple of skinks. Not sure what actually happened – I think he went down, got up retrieved the ball again, but he might have stayed on his toes. Anyway, last turn first half 1 die blitz to score – pushback, 3up dodge falls over!

2nd half the Gits received – I was feeling confident that I could pin the sauruses and then out strength the skinks whilst out running any blockers that got loose. It wasn’t to be – abysmal blocking on the first turn left me facing a herd of angry sauruses that swarmed me. There was more jostling for position back and forth play – but eventually a skink slipped through to score.

Final drive to equalise couldn’t break through Score 0-1 and very good game.
Lineman took tackle and down to table 30 something

Game 3 – Alessio Cavatore – Skaven

A Hakflem lineup with 2 guarding stormvermin. My most disappointing game of the tournament as I felt that I should have won this game easily. The Skavs received but Blitz on the kickoff table gave me an early advantage. Put some pressure on the potential scorers near the line, but I failed a block and decided not to reroll, and then the Skaven had their first casualty! Held up play though so that the Skavs had to work for their TD, eventually Hakflem slipped through with the ball. 2nd Half started and we had already used up an hour and a half of game time. The Gits then showed Alessio how 2 turn touchdowns are supposed to be scored 1-1. Annoyingly, we still had time left for the Skavs to make 1 last offensive drive – too late I noticed that my full backs were 1 square too far back leaving a big leaky hole that Alessio exploited expertly. Hakflem scored again and then we were out of time.

Final score 1-2 with 4 turns left on the clock – Alessio was a thoughtful player, too thoughtful, next time I meet him I’ll have a timer ;)
Catcher took block down to table 40 something

Game 4 – David Thompson – Undead

Fairly standard Undead lineup, 2 mummies, 1 wight, 4 ghouls, Luthor, 3 Skeletons. Both Luthors were on the bench, but I had a reserve and so had the early overlap. I really wanted to receive to start here and get early points on the board, but that wasn’t to be. David pushed forward with his mummies and made a small cage with a ghoul ball carrier. Pressure on the cage and successfully luring the mummies away from the main play stalled his offense. The first half was ground away as I put 2 ghouls in the casualty box. 2nd half, my blocking drive came together allowing me to create space whilst I consolidated the field position. Failed sure hands pick-up switched the initiative and allowed David to put the pressure on. This was fine until the following turn my catcher failed an easy catch to secure the ball in a nice cage. Once a ruck ensured the mummies gave David edge and so turn 4 a ghoul grabbed the ball and made the endzone. Turned over and scored against – gutted! Line em up try again. A pitch invasion thinned the opposite line leaving me open to mark up the remaining ghoul and sprint a catcher with the ball clear of the lumbering Undead.

Final score 1-1 – other catcher gets block down to table 51 :(

Game 5 – Lustrian Red Eyes – Lizards coached by DanTitan76

All I can say here is that Dan was Luthored! Hypnotic gaze, strength 5 vs Ag 1 lizards. Dan had a Krox and Silli Billi so I expected a tough match, but an SI’d krox in turn 2 is not much competition. Dan was a great sport though cheering us both on all the way through, a pleasure to play against and earned my MSP award.

Final Score 3-0 – And another tackle lineman – up to table 33(ish)

Game 6 – The Karatos Gringoes – Skaven coached by Mike Thorp

Another rookie Skaven team, this time with a rat ogre. Mike received and pushed an ogre led drive down my left flank. Vampire/ Rat Ogre marking left Mike with a 1 die block – Skull! Turned over the Gits pressed the advantage grabbed the ball and went 1 up. I reckon this was the turning point of the game, after failing the block Mike played his Rat Ogre as a sweeper, which effectively removed it from the play, since I wasn’t going to feed it my catchers! With two tacklers, a guard and blodge catchers I was able to control the game, isolate the Gutter Runner scoring threat, and play the Dwarf bowl that Skavs hate so much. I scored three times against the kick and once on my receipt. It should have been 3-0 but for a spawny inaccurate pass that landed on target anyway.

Final score 4-0 and my biggest win of the tourney.

All told a fun weekend though winning against rookie teams in a star player environment left a bitter taste, (but then we all knew the rules before hand)

Reason: ''
Slinky78
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Slinky78 »

<removed duplication...oops>

Slinky78
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Slinky78 »

Thadrin wrote: Second and third games:
I'm going to take these two together, because I'm pretty sure my notes have mixed the two teams up. Both teams were Orcs, both had Varag, both were painted Black and white stripes, Newcastle united style.
Difference was that one of them (the one that got nominated for best painted) had an ogre. The teams were named "Da Pigsturd Stealers" and "Da Ref Squad".

The dice continued to be bad, but the games very even and very hard fought. Noone was getting any casulaties, apart from the odd broken Goblin (which I didn't get credit for). In one game - I think it was the first - I went deservedly one down by a "Varag as lead bloocker" play, equalising later when same star player botched recieving a hand off (having not been able to break through thanks to a Runner having gained Block. The ball bounced nicely towards my runner who then tossed it forward to his counterpart who trotted in.
and I put the git in the crowd out of sheer malice.

Fair, but by this stage Brian, myself and one of the orc players (Slinky - sorry mate, didn't get your name.) had pretty much done each other in with draws.
Mine were black with yellow trimming...
Varag was a mixed bag all tournament. Made the hard yards, and st4 with block was nice, as was jump up. But then he fluffed the easy rolls (sometimes you have to dodge), and his pro would generally come good just so I could fail the re-roll. Enjoyed the game against Thadrin (didn't get your name either) slightly embarrassing to be outsprinted by a dwarf for the td...
Brian was a great halfling coach, and our little group of draws did none of us any favours(moral victory for the stunties though). We'd have been better rigging it to alternate win/lose by 1 TD!
Had a great time. Might get some reports out.
But who wants to read about 4 1-1 draws?! They were a little better than they sound...and much more frustrating!

Evil Git
Hoomin's Deliverer

Post by Evil Git »

Well better late than never was what my mum always said and so without any further ado here goes my match report.

TEAM: Green Bay Lunchpackers

RECORD: won 1 lost 5

POSITION: 165th

GAME 1 Bugmans Beerguzzlers, a dwarf team with Grim

Well after a hard fought match up against a very good dwarf coach the game ended up as a 2-1 loss to the plucky halflings. It was a good show but not having block did severley hamper the treeman's effectiveness. managed to get one cas too although i did lose 11 (one of them was a treeman right near the end). Decided that Block on one of the treemen was the best thing to get.

GAME 2 Sisters Of Mercy, an amazon team

Now this was one of my best games even though it turned out to be a loss. If i'd had a dice roll go my way or one more turn then it would have been a draw for the lunchpackers but the dice roll didn't and there was no other turns and them's the breaks you get. really enjoyed this match. finished 1-0 to the amazons with both teams getting 1 cas. thought that block on the second treeman was my best course of action.

GAME 3 Another dwarf team (can't remember the name though)

If the last game was one of the best then this one had to be the creme de la creme because this was the game that i won (yahoo!!). this was a battle from the word go with both teams trying to get some sort of upper hand on the game. Managed to get a second touchdown late in the 2nd half to go 2-1 up and held those pesky dwarfs off till the end of the match. 1 cas scored 7 against (no treemen this time though) and gave one of my halflings sprint (just in case).

END OF DAY ONE had a few drinks...

GAME 4 a human team with Luthor played by Mr Brown (alright steve)

well this game started off badly, no treemen for the first half and this really stuffed up any chances that i thought i may have had from yesterday. Luthor ran in for 2 touchdowns in the first half before i could get a sniff of anything. second half was a little closer but i couldn't close the gap that steve managed to forge in the first half. the game ended up 3-1 to the humans with me scoriung another 1 cas although 9 did get taken off for me. decided that halflings near side zones isn't the greatest idea so gave one of them sidestep.

GAME 5 an orc team from france (i think it was a mate of Trambi and longshot but not too sure)

hmmm, all my good luck from the first day seems to have deserted me i think as again no treemen for the 1st half. again i find myself down by 2 touchdowns before the break and hoping for a miricle in the second half which never really came. The treemen helped a lot in the latter stages but there was no way back for the lunchpackers in this match up. my opposite number did roll throw a rock twice on succesive kickoffs taking out two of his players so every cloud has a silver lining i suppose. Game ended up 3-1 to the orcs, no cas scored for me and only 2 against (i think that the orc team went easy on the little guys this time). the sidestep halfling was so effective this time that i gave another the same skill. now onto the next one...

GAME 6 Sisters of Nuffle, an amazon team.

Oh no! i don't believe it. yet again my treemen have deserted me for the first half (and now they're firewoood :pissed: ) so i try to make do with what i have although this was not very much. I was beaten by a very good coach who knew how to make those ladies play the game and i was another 2 touchdowns down by halftime (you see a pattern forming here don't you). With the treemen on the field things fared a little better but i just couldn't hold onto field position with the ball. 3-0 was the final score with no cas scored and only 4 against. Oh well, there's always next time.

anyway i'd just like to say thanks to everyone that i played and i wish them all luck in the upcoming games that you all must have. i look forward to meeting up again with you all and doing this all over again although next time i might just have a different team. well that's all from me so see you all at the next tourney.

http://www.createforum.com/teamscotlandbb
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

Slinky78 wrote:
Mine were black with yellow trimming...
Were they?
:?:
So they were. My memory sucks, and my notes are lying.
Slinky78 wrote: But who wants to read about 4 1-1 draws?! They were a little better than they sound...and much more frustrating!

Pretty much covers it.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

There seems to be a recurring them about the Skaven teams I'm reading about, in that they (mostly) didn't take stars.

Could this be their stars are crap?

Another reason for banning SP next year.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

geggster had headsplitter and alessio had hakflem think they were the 2 highest placed skaven coaches

kip^walker
Rookie
Rookie

match report for woodwatchers

Post by kip^walker »

here's my matches as i experienced them:

i fielded with "Woodwathers" - woodelf
-1xTreeman rookie
-1xWardancer
-1xThrower
-8xlinemen

as grumbledook wrote in his mathcreport on me, i stood perhaps with only one real weapon against stars such as griff, luthor etc.: my wardancer. But luckily i mostly played other fast teams such as woodelf, highelf and skaven, and 1 wardancer was just about enough every time with strip ball.
Anyway my argument for taken the tree was 1)after playing about 10 testmatches that they needed a big fellow to "hold" the line on the middle and 2) he would always turn up for second half if the team should then be only 5/6 players left. Well maybe it wasnt the best idea but as said i was pretty lucky drawing opponents and in these games he was very important imo.

1st match: Juergen Unfried "Necrotic Flaming Axe" Undead

i won the coin toss and lined up for quik td (without tree for 1st half) to secure the lead, but he rolled blitz on kickoff table and court my wardancer plus several other players in my leftside who all were pretty trapped there. When i started my first turn he hadnt reached the ball so picked up with my thrower and tried protecting him from the upcoming luthor but failed he got the ball away from me and placed 2-3 players around it. the next two turns i somehow removed his players and tried passing the ball up the field but both times failed to catch or handoff. at last he got the ball and scored in the 8th turn.
second half: he started the drive and caged around luthor and moved nice and slow toward my endzone, wasnt much to do, tried sacking with my wardancer but all attemps were 2 dice against and failed. he scored when he wanted to but just in time to let me have a try for 2-1, thanks jurgen your the man ;). I did and allthough it was a disapointment to lose my first i still felt i could reach the top :P. (took block for treeman)

2nd match: Yohann Miniere "Longshot's Lightning Bugs" woodelf

as for all my mathes i won the coin toss and this time had my tree in from the start. He had two wardancers, a catcher and the rest where linelf, i think. Anyway he got of with the worst possibly start as his wardancer with strip ball leaped into my cage with ball carrier, failed and suffered casualty. my tree soon after blocked his other wardancer sending him the same way :( im sorry thought it would have been a better match if it wasnt for that. But still i thought i had to try taking advantage of this, and therefor caged the ball and tried injuring other players for the second half. maybe got out a few players on this can't remember.
at second half he was down a lot of players and because of that i got another two td's. Allthough i thought it was a bit of a cheap win i was still glad to have at least 1 win. (took strip ball for my wardancer)

3rd match: Steve Slatford "Ulthuan Avengers" highelf

started with treeman in, got through his defence and scored a quik td. and from then on all i did succeded: got to his ball carrier, stripped ball and somehow found an unmarked woodelf who went for td and succeded. Especially in the second half he was very unlucky, dont think he picked up the ball one single time in the second half. Plus both his dragonwarriors with block+dodge where in ko'ed for many rounds. The final result was a 5-0 victory. (took accurate for my thrower)

Saturday night of course in bugmans bar. and for otto and gerald: next year i'll give ya blue noses ;)

4th match: not sure of who but it was woodelves

cant remember much from this match, but think my treeman didnt make it for the 1st half which ended 2-1 in my advantage maybe. No, really all i remember, was the last two rounds which where pretty exciting the score was 3 all and i had just scored so he was to return(thought that i might as well go for a victory instead of a secured draw and then maybe lose with one). He had almost all of his elves on my side of the field when a two block dice showed attacker down and block so turnover and i could just reach his thrower who was knocked over and stunned. not bad :D. in my next turn the pick up also succeded and it was another win 4-3. (took dodge for a lineelf)

5th match: Andy Garrard "The Vermin Tide" skaven

I was now at the top tables and things got really exciting. He had headsplitter and for the third time my treeman was in from the start. They got in fight right away or at least my treeman followed the rat ogre all the time making sure he would'nt sneak down the pitch to help a td on the way. both teams played really well organized i think, and each turn was considered well. I focused on hitting his gutter runners whilst he was sneaking in on my wardancer all the time with linerat with tackle, neighter of us removed any important opposing players. i took the lead and after he failed a try on the flank i sacked and threw it to the other side for another td. he got back just before halftime for 2-1.
second half he started in offence and for many rounds his gutterrunners where waiting for the opportunity which never came, instead i somehow got the ball and went 3-1 up. My players where now in the redzone slaying 5 rats in a few rounds which lead to another td for the final score 4-1 in a very close game still, but again i pulled the longest straw. (took block for a lineelf)

6th match: Jonathan Bowers "Bovine Slaughter" chaos dwarf

The night before i had had an argument with gerald coaching another choas dwarf team about whether or not they could beat me, and i guess i must eat my words there gerald, as i was totally outplayed. i nearly got the lead but my wardancer failed the final catch to score and instead he was taking out soon after by Hhartak or the other big monkey cant remember which :P. He then formed a cage i couldnt possibly break and went for the 1-0 lead at halftime. My tree was caught in LOS and wasnt to much help all the match. Second half was the same; i tried some desperate blitz attempts on the ball and even succeded a 5+ dodge and a 1 dice block on the hobgoblin holding the ball, but he recovered i straight away and scored for 2-1, but in time for me to get the two points at 2-1 however it failed and grasnak scored for the 3-0. Quite a lecture for me in the last game but as said my team was much better against weaker teams who i luckily drew for 4 out of 6 games.

But goodgame! all opponents and thanks to all for a great tournament and i'll return next year with a team with a starplayer, gotta have that togo all the way i think.

kip

Geggster
Eurobowl Superstar

Post by Geggster »

Regarding Skaven Teams and their Star Players.

I took Headsplitter and was the highest placed Skaven coach (9th).

I certainly wouldn't say he's crap but I don't put him in the Griff/Luthor/Varag bracket. Those guys are just scary.

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Geggster wrote:I certainly wouldn't say he's crap but I don't put him in the Griff/Luthor/Varag bracket. Those guys are just scary.
Although I took Varag, and he's an excellent star player, I wouldn't put him in the Luthor/Griff category.

Luthor & Griff give an extra dimension to the play - i.e. they can break cages by themselves.

Varag on the other hand just makes Orcs better at what they do naturally - hitting people.

The only games I didn't win were against Luthor and Griff. :(

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
kip^walker
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kip^walker »

Geggster wrote:Regarding Skaven Teams and their Star Players.

I certainly wouldn't say he's crap but I don't put him in the Griff/Luthor/Varag bracket. Those guys are just scary.
well i certaintly wouldnt say that skaven with headsplitter is a weak team, but his lack of block is a bit of a downside. why not go for a rookie with wild animal 8]

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

you don't want a rookie wild animal with st6 star players about

Geggster
Eurobowl Superstar

Post by Geggster »

kip^walker wrote:
Geggster wrote:Regarding Skaven Teams and their Star Players.

well i certaintly wouldnt say that skaven with headsplitter is a weak team, but his lack of block is a bit of a downside. why not go for a rookie with wild animal 8]
Kip, are you trying to be funny?

Like Dook says, you really don't want a Wild Animal in a ST5/6 environment. That's really asking for trouble.

Headsplitter has not got block but at least he doesn't force you to roll an unrerollable half die block against Hthark at the start of you turn. Headsplitter was one of the main reasons that gave me the opportunity to get into the top ten and score the most TD's. A Wild Animal and I dread how much my opponents would have exploited it.

You say you were Coaching the Woodwatchers but lost your first and last game. So would you be Troels (19th). What gives?

l_dauguet
Legend
Legend

Post by l_dauguet »

Hey Evil git, you were absolutly right, game 5 was between me and you. I enjoyed that game very much (and not only coz i won :wink: )
I'm still wondering how those little halflings could throw rocks??? :lol:

come and ave your revenge in france in may at Longshot torny :D

Next time I win !!!
kip^walker
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kip^walker »

yup your both right.. wild animal sux. just wanted your opinion and i guess i can't just come out of nothing saying simething stupid like that :P

but still any player without block who's there to make blocks is dangerous imo.

and yes i'm troels in #19