tiny piece of advice for people going to tourny

Moderators: lunchmoney, Jimjimjimany, Boneless, deeferdan, TFF Mods

Indigo
Not Grumpy in the slightest

tiny piece of advice for people going to tourny

Post by Indigo »

I have been there a few times now, and every single time I have went I have got a terrific headache. cos I don't normally get them, I can only assume it's from the lights - they are very bright and a bit weird.

also, the second time I went I was with an epileptic guy who had a fit on the day.... he reckoned it was the lights too, so if you are epilpetic I'd advise getting some tablets or something if you can (?)

Anyway... take paracetamol/ibuprofen/aspirin just in case - the bar can't help you and I had a nightmare so I am going prepared this time.... can't let simple head pain get between me and my trophy

Reason: ''
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

It's wasn't the lights in my case, it was 4 games in a day. Alcohol cured it. :wink:

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

Thanks for the tip. Probably dodgy flouro tubes. Would be worth mentioning that to Andy Hall as a reminder.

On a slightly more light hearted note, I would like to point out that playing swiss system is a disaster for blood pressure. I nearly had a heart attack when I found out I made the final tables at Spiky, I was looking forward to some low-pressure matches.

Marcus - [url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=42448#42448]Hall of Famer[/url] - [url=http://www.irwilliams.com/ecbbl/index.php]Edinboro Castle Blood Bowl League[/url]
Indigo

Post by Indigo »

something I was wondering - will the winner of the BB have won all their matches, or is it possible to win even if you lose or draw one? With 200 people, the chances of at least one person winning every match is high.

I'm just a bit worried that if I draw a match 3-3 or something, my hopes of winning the trophy go out the window...

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

The person who wins is as follows:

The 2 players with the most points after 5 matches play a game, the winner of this match wins.

Its all in the rules pack ;]

Indigo

Post by Indigo »

ah
then it goes on TDs scored and then CAS I presume, followed by a roll-off if it's still level....

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

yer sounds about right

shaniepoo
Party Boy

Post by shaniepoo »

Im not sure that i like that system :-?

Some one could only win 3 out of 5 games but if they went against 1 or more Gobbo or Fling teams they could get enough pts on casualties and TD's to will the tournament.

At res i think i only won 1-2 games but because i played a Gobbo team i was placed higher than i should of been, there wasnt a Gobbo left by the last turn.

the winner should be some one who has won all/most of his/her games.

The Cutlery King - Winner of 6 Wooden spoons... and proud of each one! :D
Dangerous Dave
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Using Swiss, it is almost certain that some players will win all games.

Assuming no draws:-

200 teams = 100 matches

so 100 wins after round 1

50 with 2 wins after round 2

25 with 3 wins after round 3

12 with 4 wins after round 4

6 with 5 wins after round 5

Draws if they happen will reduce this but in all probability there will be at least 5 coaches with all wins.

Dave

lightingbug
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: tiny piece of advice for people going to tourny

Post by lightingbug »

Indigo wrote:I have been there a few times now, and every single time I have went I have got a terrific headache. cos I don't normally get them, I can only assume it's from the lights - they are very bright and a bit weird.
You probably were also suffering from lack of food and water. All day tournies, conventions and the such really tax your body. Dehydate you fast.
Bring a water bottle with you (usually you can get the concessions people to fill it back up for you. - not as easy when they also sell water though. -- also you can use the drinking fountain)
A couple of candy bars or energy bars are a good snack too. Fresh fruit is better but hard to carry around.

And take a break here and there. between games leave the pitch, relax, sit if you have been standing all day, stand if you have been sitting, check out the rest of the tourny, check out the painting competion, etc.

I always liked to bring an ice chest which I would leave in the room with sodas, sandwich fixings, etc. so that I could just run back to the room fix a sandwich and there was lunch without having to pay those outragous prices at concessions.

Just my two cents
Hope it helps
Lightingbug

I work in the entertainment industry (theatrical and rocknroll) and
go to or work at conventions and tounries regularly plus work many long hours at different events (can average 12-20 a day), so I have gone thru that terrible headache and all the other things you get at tournies.