2017 feedback

Moderators: lunchmoney, Jimjimjimany, Boneless, deeferdan, TFF Mods

Boneless
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: 2017 feedback

Post by Boneless »

Mr Frodo wrote:With so many young players, it it now possible to have a seperate draw? And thanks! We had a great time. Well done to everyone involved.

Not sure what you are after. Can you elaborate

Reason: ''
UK National Co-ordinator for the NAF
Organiser for the Welsh Open

Follow me on http://www.twtich.tv/Hawca_
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

hawca wrote:
Mr Frodo wrote:With so many young players, it it now possible to have a seperate draw? And thanks! We had a great time. Well done to everyone involved.

Not sure what you are after. Can you elaborate
I think he is after the youngsters being drawn together.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

I'd be against this.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Garrick
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Garrick »

Hawca, top class event! Many thanks

The artist formerly known as Dipso Gnome.

Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

Haven't been for the last couple of years for various reasons......

......glad I went this year, it was awesome, love the tiered ruleset, good to see Woodelves and undead not dominating the top tables, loads of racial diversity on the pitch!

Big thanks to all concerned, can you organise cider on draft??

Ringbeard
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Ringbeard »

Brilliant weekend, thanks to all the organisers and refs.

Next year would it be possible to put the draw for each round up on the NAF Twitter and Facebook pages? That way people can check it immediately. The link on the NAF website didn't seem to work, presumably because of server issues with everyone checking it at once.

The Waterbowl, home of Blood Bowl in Manchester: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1439880136307855/
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

We'll have a look at upgrading the bandwidth. Or some other technical nonsense.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
deeferdan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by deeferdan »

I had a great time. The 2016 champs was my first bb tournament in many years and this event was a culmination of an excellent year of bb and far surpassed last years event.

Rather than smaller tables flatter tables would be cool. However in fairness the spare hard boards did the job when needed.

A bit more direction and transparency on painting and the duel comp would be nice next year. I realise it is an aside. But people put the effort in so the issue shouldn't be sidelined IMO.
Judging for the duel changed from the rules pack, which stated public vote. When I queried this (for clarity) i was given very short shrift by a couple of the judges. I have no problem with the Change of tac, but announcing it would have bee civil.

Commission painted teams, should individuals who have not ainted their teams themselves be allowed to enter?

Minor things really.

See you next year for the lunch rush :)

- deeferdan -

England NC
Midlands RC
Blood Bowling nomad

Beard man's foil http://doubleskulls.libsyn.com/
danger rat
Experienced
Experienced

Post by danger rat »

Had a fantastic weekend of Blood Bowl a big thank you to my 6 opponents and Hawca and his team. Loved the new pitches the only issue with them was on some of the tables you needed one of the old pitches to stop the playing surface being very uneven!

The only other thing it would be good to see next year would be a round clock or more regular timing updates from the refs.

Mr Frodo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mr Frodo »

sann0638 wrote:I'd be against this.
This is not a strong view of mine, merely a suggestion for thought. But why would you be against it? Interested, not angry, put out or anything.
And I'm going to drop in the term 'social constructivist learning' here, just so I can sound smart, before you sound way smarter. :D

Mr Frodo AKA Andrew L
Completed the 24 (painted by me].
Completed the 26 (painted by me).
Completed the x (where x is every team.
NAF Tournaments won: 3
Best League rank: 1st (CBBBL VII)
Boneless

Post by Boneless »

deeferdan2383 wrote:I had a great time. The 2016 champs was my first bb tournament in many years and this event was a culmination of an excellent year of bb and far surpassed last years event.

Rather than smaller tables flatter tables would be cool. However in fairness the spare hard boards did the job when needed.

A bit more direction and transparency on painting and the duel comp would be nice next year. I realise it is an aside. But people put the effort in so the issue shouldn't be sidelined IMO.
Judging for the duel changed from the rules pack, which stated public vote. When I queried this (for clarity) i was given very short shrift by a couple of the judges. I have no problem with the Change of tac, but announcing it would have bee civil.

Commission painted teams, should individuals who have not ainted their teams themselves be allowed to enter?

Minor things really.

See you next year for the lunch rush :)
A few valid pointer to work on here. I wanted the painting to judged by non playing staff as this means it does not turn into a popularity vote. Granted each look at different things.

The overal winner of the team you will be interested to know also won this year beat painted in dungeon bowl with a different team. I also believe he Carey's out commission work for others but this was very much his own work.

Ref communication was good through out but also please remember between rounds they are flat out getting the next ready and previous years we've had request for less announcements when rounds are being played. They have a tough job. I'm looking at tables options and will be talking with the venue Tuesday.

Boneless

Post by Boneless »

Mr Frodo wrote:
sann0638 wrote:I'd be against this.
This is not a strong view of mine, merely a suggestion for thought. But why would you be against it? Interested, not angry, put out or anything.
And I'm going to drop in the term 'social constructivist learning' here, just so I can sound smart, before you sound way smarter. :D

On the under 18s separate draw. I won't be happening.

Some of the youngsters are very good. They want to mix with the big guns. A child having chance to play and bead dad on the biggest show of them all should not be denied.

Also consider the addition work for the refs.

2 sets of results to collect and enter. Then one result gets placed in the wrong box. Two draws, basically double the work load.

These guys set a record of 8 mins to input, check, re check, finalise, draw, post on NAF.net and print 104 game results. Between round 5 and 6.

So splitting it would create a nightmare

J_Bone
Super Star
Super Star

Post by J_Bone »

A fantastic event. Some issues with lumpy tablecloths here and there but as has been mentioned, these were mostly solved with the hard boards.

The only bit of feedback I have is something I considered during the tournament but didn't want to bother the refs between rounds.

Every year there is an issue with the NAF site crashing when everybody checks it all at once. I noticed that there were lots of groups of 5 or 6 all checking their own phones. Perhaps it would be a good idea to make an announcement telling people to group together and view it on a single device? This would effectively take the load on the servers down to 1/5 and reduce the size of the problem.

Just a thought on a minor issue.

Thanks to all the organisers and volunteers. Fantastic work as with every year.

The brains behind the Double Skulls Podcast http://doubleskulls.libsyn.com/

Beardman.
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

We've already taken some steps to improve the site. Difficult to test!

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Added some comments and replies to the OP.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95