NAF Championship 2017 Prize team

Moderators: lunchmoney, Jimjimjimany, Boneless, deeferdan, TFF Mods

What should I focus on after the full team of 16?

Star Players - Glart, Fezglitch and Hakflem
74%
Display base
19%
Markers, coins and footballs
6%

Total votes: 31

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

NAF Championship 2017 Prize team

Post by spubbbba »

The NAF have once again asked me to paint up a team as a prize to be won at the GT. As before the sole restriction is to avoid the joke teams (flings, goblins, ogres, vampires and probably underworld). For personal pride I avoid repeating previous teams so that rules out; Slann, Lizardmen, High Elves and Khemri, I had also done a Norse Dwarf team in 2013 but as they were so unique I could easily come up with either a Dwarf or Norse team that would be totally different from them. Unfortunately I have much less time to work on this team in comparison to the slann. Not only am I starting much later, but the tournament is a couple of weeks earlier and I’ll be moving cities in Feb next year which will disrupt things. This means I won’t be able to do a conversion heavy project as ambitious as the Slann, Khemri or Norse Dwarfs.

With the release of the Blood Bowl boxed set and 3 new plastic teams and it seemed appropriate to make a team using one of these. The Orcs were a pretty good looking team and could easily be merged with the 40K or Fantasy range to make up the 4 missing players. However I had already completed 3 Orc teams and so didn’t fancy working on another one.

I was less keen on the human models, feeling the linemen and blitzers were on the bland side, I did consider combining some of the human bits with the Bloodreaver models to make a Norse team. This would not be the most original idea and I don’t really have the time to do the conversions required for my own planned unique take on this.

For the skaven, I have been considering creating a steam-punk team based on Clan Skyre, mixing in parts from 40K with the Adeptus Mechanicus range being particularly favoured. There were a couple of models I had an eye on such as Ikit Claw as a thrower, the Island of Blood Rat ogre with the bionic arm. I had already bought a few boxed sets and made a test gutter runner using parts from the *name* unit.

Sadly this team was a bit too ambitious in the time available and will have to become yet another of my shelved projects. I always have a few ideas for teams buzzing around my head and new models are often purchased in anticipation of starting one of these. My time is sadly limited and all too many of these ideas never get started or are abandoned part way though. They do prove to be useful though as several of these teams were brought back from the abandoned project shelf for the NAF GT. The Khemri, high elves and lizardmen did just that.

Instead of the steam-punk team I decided to go for something more generic, this would mean a lot less work converting and I could start painting them straight away. Of course I refused to have any identical models and would be changing some of the models to make them unique. The plan is to paint a team of 12 based on the boxed set and if I have time add a 7th lineman, 2 more gutters and a rat ogre. I have Glart, Hakflem and Fezglitch ready to bring the team up to 19 if time permits as well.

The first thing I started on was the linemen, using the 3 models from the new GW team with no changes. I was really pleased with how the Skitter conversion I made for the Waterbowl legacy team ended up and decided to re-use that colour scheme of orange, dark brown and white.

I did tweak things slighty for this team, using brown fur for them as opposed to black since I wished to keep that for the stormvermin. The orange ended up a little different as well, it was given a heavier brown wash than Skitter to dirty up the colours a little more. I had meant to add a red glaze as well, but by accident used a red wash which made the orange slightly darker. I also decided to add little battle damage to the armour, adopting a different technique from some previous teams by switching darker dents with extreme highlights in preference of showing chipped paint with metal showing through.
I will be swapping parts round and adding bits from the fantasy Clanrats and Stormvermin to modify the other linemen and make 6 unique players.

For the throwers and gutter runners I will be using one of each with no changes and converting the rest.

This uses the body from a Warhammer Quest Deathrunner with head and arm from stormvermin and hand from a thrower.

Reason: ''
My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Saebelsultan
Super Star
Super Star

Re: NAF Championship 2017 - 1st prize

Post by Saebelsultan »

Wonderful!

"This game is too good not to be played!" - Coach Pauli
Blood Bowl Beginner Kit
Saebelsultan's BB Dugouts
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Re: NAF Championship 2017 - 1st prize

Post by spubbbba »

I’ve now finished the first thrower, he’s the standard model with no changes as I really like him. He was painted in the same way as the linemen, though he had less armour and more skin on show. The biggest change was painting the warpstone ball held in his tail.

As with the thrower this gutter has no changes from the standard model since it looks good as is. He was wearing no armour and this meant I had to find somewhere else for the orange and so used the inner lining of his cape. I decided to paint the cape in team colours of dark brown rather than black to better fit in with the rest of the team. I wasn’t entirely happy with the shading of either the brown or orange on his cape as it was such a large smooth area, but with some washes it did help.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Re: NAF Championship 2017 Prize team

Post by spubbbba »

So it seems the NAF is changing how the team will be awarded for 2017 and now everyone who attends will have a chance to win. I'm not sure exactly how it works so will leave it to them to provide details.

In the meantime I have made some more progress with the team, spending a solid weekend focusing on converting the other 11 members. They still need a bit of greenstuff work, but 3 have been completed so far and are in the process of being painted.

With just 6 linemen I needed another to bring the team up to 16. I also hate duplicates and wanted the other 3 linemen to look different from those I have already painted. By mixing in some bits from one of the blitzers and taking parts from the plastic clanrats and stormvermin I was able to create 4 unique linemen to fill out the team.

One of the blitzers is being left as is, the other had a leg swap with a lineman, his arms re positioned and was given a stormvermin champion head. The other thrower uses the body of a deathrunner with another stormvermin champion head and arm as well as hand from the spare thrower and a cut down ball.

The gutters take parts from the 2nd thrower, spare gutter, clanrats and another deathrunner. Plus one of them has a head from a plague monk.

Using an Island of Blood Rat ogre is pretty standard for Blood Bowl so I wanted mine to be a little different. I've added a shoulder pad and a head from a stormfiend. After this pic was taken I realised his tail was a bit pathetic on comparison to the rest of the team, especially as he is the only one with a prehensile tail. Luckily the model I used for an Icepelt conversion had a huge tail leftover and I have added that. I'm still considering if he needs knee pads or some other details and will have to strip off the paint.

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

3 more players have been finished and this takes me up to 8, the half way mark.

This is just the standard model with no changes. I wanted to paint up all 6 of the new sculpts as they were and then convert the other 10 players, this way all players would be unique. Something I have noticed with the new models is that blitzers don’t’ stand out as much as they should. So I added a couple more white borders to his armour pieces to help him stand out.

The first model I converted for the team was this 2nd thrower. He uses the body from a deathrunner with head and arm from a stormvermin and hand from the spare thrower. I wanted him to be an old veteran and the team captain so he was given white fur.

This was using the normal gutter with arms from stormvermin, head from a plague monk and tail from another player. He was painted pretty much the same way as the other gutter, I did add paint the tail armour orange as the gutter tended to lack this colour.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

spubbbba wrote:So it seems the NAF is changing how the team will be awarded for 2017 and now everyone who attends will have a chance to win. I'm not sure exactly how it works so will leave it to them to provide details.
Probably a raffle....
It means every has a chance to own one of your awesome pieces of art rather than the same group of top players every year ;)

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Yeah, goddamn meritocracies! :roll:

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Boneless
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Boneless »

Joemanji wrote:Yeah, goddamn meritocracies! :roll:

dont worry Joe, you got 2 numbers in the pot ;p

all joking a side,

a raffle will be done for all attending, based on your finishing place. this gives every one change to win this prize.

we still have a prize for the winner, no name will also be place in the stars for all to see and glory will forever be given to you as us lesser mortals bow and worship the 2017 NAF champion.

UK National Co-ordinator for the NAF
Organiser for the Welsh Open

Follow me on http://www.twtich.tv/Hawca_
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Ooh, that's a good idea. The number of entries in the raffle you get is inverse to your finishing position, so the winner gets 150, the spoon gets 1.

Lovely team by the way!

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

... and raffle tickets are already sequentially numbered so you don't have to hand the other halves out to people or write anything on them.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Since everyone attending now has a chance to win then I thought I’d add a survey on what to focus my attention on after the full squad of 16 is done. 8 players have been finished so far meaning I am ahead of Schedule, but I will be losing a lot of painting time over February as I’ll be moving cities and starting a new job that month.

I’m confident I can get the main team done, but might not be able to complete as many extras as I did for previous GT’s.

There are 3 things I can add on top of the 16 players.

Star Players
I have already built and undercoated 3 star players ready to paint up; Glart, Fezglitch and Hakflem. Skitter was done for the Waterbowl legacy team and Morg doesn’t seem appropriate, I have parts for Headsplitter but he is going to be quite an involved conversion and I don’t really have time for him. It looks like GW will be released a new Hakflem, but he may not come out in time.

I do like painting stars as I can add extra details to them and if I did all 3 then I’d just be 17 off painting up all 56 of the crp stars. One bonus is I don’t have to do 3 stars, I could just paint 1 at a time and stop if time is short.

Markers, coins and footballs
Each of the new spruces come with 3 footballs, a marker and a coin. These are all themed to skaven and would not be too time consuming to paint, I could do 1 of each of the footballs, a coin and both of the markers themed to match the team colours. I’ve already used one of the balls on the thrower conversion.

Display base
I have done one of these for all the previous GT teams but it is not something people normally ask for with my commissions. It does look better when placed on a table but I don’t know if this is something people want.
I still need to do all the player bases anyway, most of the new plastics fit so well on the bases that they don’t need to be glued in. However some of the models are pinned to bases and may need to be removed depending on the style of pitch I make.
I could just do a simple grass pitch with lots of bare patches of earth possibly adding the NAF logo in team colours again, or maybe make it a sewer with chunks of warpstone. The display base can be very time consuming if it is something special like the ice for the norse dwarfs or jungle for the slann like below. So I’d only want to spend the time if this is popular.

It would be useful to know which of the 3 items above would be the most popular to help me decide what to focus my time on.

PeteW
Super Star
Super Star

Post by PeteW »

Interesting decision. Would be funnier if the winner also won the raffle! xD

NAFC 2014. Glowworm: "PeteW is definitely hotter than Lunchmoney."
Boneless

Post by Boneless »

to clear this up, dont over complicate it

if you finish 1st, your number 1

if you finish 137th your number 137

the Head ref will put a random number gen from 1 to the number of entrants. this is the winner. no need for raffle tickets or complication

UK National Co-ordinator for the NAF
Organiser for the Welsh Open

Follow me on http://www.twtich.tv/Hawca_
Garrick
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Garrick »

hawca wrote:to clear this up, dont over complicate it

if you finish 1st, your number 1

if you finish 137th your number 137

the Head ref will put a random number gen from 1 to the number of entrants. this is the winner. no need for raffle tickets or complication
Ah. I thought if there were 150 in the tournament then 1st got 150 tickets down to 150th who would get 1 ticket.

The artist formerly known as Dipso Gnome.

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

3 more models done now bringing, it up to 11. This is enough to make a starting team of; 3 gutters, 2 throwers, 1 blitzer and 5 linemen, so not the greatest but getting close to completion.

I used the legs from the spare blitzer for this guy to have him in a running pose. He also had an arm from a stormvermin to make his pose even more dynamic, half his tail was swapped as well. Painting was the same as the rest of the team, I toned down the white borders and gave him brown fur to try and avoid confusion with the other blitzer.

This lineman had a head taken from the thrower and arm swapped with another lineman to make him unique. He also got a tail swap with one of the deathrunners. He had a couple of boils on his face and tail that were painted yellow and his tail spines were painted like his claws.

This was quite a major conversion using the legs from the spare thrower along with the torso from a clanrat. I added a cloak from the gutter runners as well. With so few parts it meant there was little waste and I ended up using pretty much every part from any spares in conversions. Like the other gutters he had a lot of brown, with only small areas of orange.