NAF Championships 2017 - April 29th and 30th

Moderators: lunchmoney, Jimjimjimany, Boneless, deeferdan, TFF Mods

PeteW
Super Star
Super Star

Post by PeteW »

Warhammer world has 100 times the atmosphere and I always enjoyed the hot food. The bar is great too. Accommodation is a taxi ride away, I guess though.

Reason: ''
NAFC 2014. Glowworm: "PeteW is definitely hotter than Lunchmoney."
RoterSternHochdahl
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re:

Post by RoterSternHochdahl »

PeteW wrote:Warhammer world has 100 times the atmosphere and I always enjoyed the hot food. The bar is great too. Accommodation is a taxi ride away, I guess though.
Bringing it back to Warhammer World would remove the major asset of NAFC over the past years: everyone sleeping at the same place and drinking at the same bar from Friday

"Chess is two stoic soviet sleeper agents silently conducting 300 possibility calculations per second. Blood bowl is a game where a halfling makes a shepherds pie so you lose all your re rolls." (Thanks to nonumber)
Garrick
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Re:

Post by Garrick »

RoterSternHochdahl wrote:
PeteW wrote:Warhammer world has 100 times the atmosphere and I always enjoyed the hot food. The bar is great too. Accommodation is a taxi ride away, I guess though.
Bringing it back to Warhammer World would remove the major asset of NAFC over the past years: everyone sleeping at the same place and drinking at the same bar from Friday
Couldn't agree more and in the last 3 NAFCs I have not suffered any of the problems listed above, quite the opposite in fact with copious amounts of red wine available, a very nice restaurant serving excellent breakfasts and dinners, clean airy rooms, excellent showers, nice staff and a bar that opens late (and no longer runs out of beer).

For me the social element of the NAFC is important and the venue being next to the hotel enables that. I accept that Warhammer World has much more atmosphere as a tournament venue and Bugman's Bar is great fun (traditionally I go to Bugmans on the Friday afternoon) but it would not generate the same social environment (and it might emasculate the NAF's premier tournament).

So I believe this argument boils down to Social v Atmosphere both of which are valid.

The artist formerly known as Dipso Gnome.

Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Re: NAF Championships 2017 - April 29th and 30th

Post by Purplegoo »

Funny how things change. I remember the moans about WW; the food was 'slop', the tables annoying, the space oppressively hot, close and sweaty, the value poor, the bar too small / understaffed / expensive (and that's before you get onto the years before the NAF ran it and the way GW ran the nuts and bolts of the event)... It was grumbled about every year, and the EMCC was lauded as a huge upgrade at the time. Now we're missing HQ?

I can see the merits of both venues myself, and like them both for different reasons, but I doubt anything current is ever going to get universal approval. ;)

PeteW
Super Star
Super Star

Post by PeteW »

Lol. Didn't mean to start controversy! I think the GW only restriction is the only reason necessary to forget about WW.

Back to the meta gaming! So which races benefit most from the rule set? Necros?

NAFC 2014. Glowworm: "PeteW is definitely hotter than Lunchmoney."
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Purplegoo wrote:Funny how things change. I remember the moans about WW...

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Re:

Post by Joemanji »

PeteW wrote:Back to the meta gaming! So which races benefit most from the rule set? Necros?
That isn't how it works Peter. Introducing tiers means every race will be taken equally and so nobody will have to face any good races ever. Not that anyone minds facing tier 1 races, because they don't care about winning. Only power gamers care about winning, "I'm just here for a laugh me". :wink: :roll:

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
fromherashes
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fromherashes »

I'm hoping I'll be able to make it down for this next year.

deeferdan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by deeferdan »

Re war hammer world I would be EXTREMELY surprised if they would allow non GW figures. I used to run Warhammer Ancient Battles tournaments there, but after some people showed interest in the figures and asked about them in the shop I was taken to one side and explained to (quite understandably) that such events could no longer continue.
Granted this happened about 10 years ago and things can change, but it simply wouldn't make sense on their part.

The point about other central cities accessibility is most valid IMO (Birmingham especially) particularly as the NAFC is an increasingly international affair.

Looking forward to next years tournament all the same and advocating for it amongst non NAF chums as we speak.

Arioso
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Arioso »

Docmaxx and Arioso - PAID :) (sees fear in a lot of english coaches' faces and the nottingham orchard bar stuff especially!!)

ps: pipey... look for another good restaurant!! ^^ preferably sth as good but a little less noisy - you are excused if you celebrate a wedding yourself!

Ringbeard
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Ringbeard »

Entry fee paid & hotel room booked. Already in training for the 40 metre dash for the good sandwiches the moment lunch is announced.

The Waterbowl, home of Blood Bowl in Manchester: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1439880136307855/
Leipziger
Legend
Legend

Post by Leipziger »

*paid* First NAFC since Sizzle won it! An overdue return

Twitter:@wormito
Waterbowl fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/WaterbowlMcr/

Stunty Slam 14 - 10/09/22
Waterbowl Weekend 2023, Feb 18/19, NWGC

Team England Committee Member
Mr Frodo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mr Frodo »

I enjoy the EMCC more than WW.
The hotel is great for the price, the breakfasts are fantastic and after that I can forgive the sandwich bags.
The hotel also makes a great place for social gaming and general meetings of the clans.

I was annoyed about the "Electrical fault" room change,as it split our group, but that seems to have been a one off.

(I said seems to have been).

I like tiers. I understand some people don't, but I do.

Must book.

Mr Frodo AKA Andrew L
Completed the 24 (painted by me].
Completed the 26 (painted by me).
Completed the x (where x is every team.
NAF Tournaments won: 3
Best League rank: 1st (CBBBL VII)
Gorgoroth
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Gorgoroth »

Just Paid.

Couldn't make last year so looking forward to it.

By the way love the current venue as loads more room to play and the hotel rooms/price and breakfast are great!! I found out where the student bar was on the University campus a few years ago as well so there were cheap drinks as well. Leipziger may still remember the hangover from that adventure!!!

Hopefully will be great fun again!!

Leipziger
Legend
Legend

Post by Leipziger »

Gorgoroth wrote:Just Paid.

Couldn't make last year so looking forward to it.

By the way love the current venue as loads more room to play and the hotel rooms/price and breakfast are great!! I found out where the student bar was on the University campus a few years ago as well so there were cheap drinks as well. Leipziger may still remember the hangover from that adventure!!!

Hopefully will be great fun again!!
My worst ever hangover at bb:o (although I'd have been spannered if I'd had to play this year at the Waterbowl too). Must steer clear of drinking with Danes :D

Bring on next April!

Twitter:@wormito
Waterbowl fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/WaterbowlMcr/

Stunty Slam 14 - 10/09/22
Waterbowl Weekend 2023, Feb 18/19, NWGC

Team England Committee Member