Moderators: lunchmoney, Jimjimjimany, Boneless, deeferdan, TFF Mods

neilnickson
Veteran
Veteran

The tale of Total Reroll - A Halflings Challenge Experience

Post by neilnickson »

Hey Folks!
"Da brat`mir doch einer `nen Storch". What a great journey, what a great
tournament! Oh sorry......I`ve just forgotten to introduce myself: My name is "Kalle
Krautpusch", the left wing defender of the halfling team "Total Reroll". Me and the other flings from the team live in Germany near the "Teutoburger Wald". We decided to go to the NAF Championships 2514, because we`ve heard about the halfling challenge. Since years, we only have one victory game....that was a 1:0 against 11 snotlings in Turn 16. People even say, that it wasn`t deserved!

So, how to build a bashy, fearless team full of tactical cleverness? My mother always told me (MMATM): "Take Root"! OK, so we took Deeproot, two other Treeman "Wurzel Sepp" and "Tanne Fichtel", 12 Flings and the best masterchef you can get in the western Auenland! The coach? Yeah, we need a coach......but there was no more money left to pay him. I`ve heard about a friend from the brother of my nephews daughter, that the parents of his cousin knows a coach. He coaches any team for a "chicken tikka massala"! He wasn`t talented, he never plays offensive but he is young and hungry. So we took "peterd" to coach our team.

The day we left the Auenland, i saw a little bit of fear in my moms face, "But you`re tall enough to do what you wanna do....." she said. When she uses the word "tall", there was always a smile on her face!

Ready to go.....or better ready to crawl. You know, we halflings are not very quick, but Treemen reduce the speed to nearly zero! Starting in autumn, we`ve seen the dutch winter, the belgian spring and arrive at the coast of France in summertime. There, we recognized, that England was an island.... .We have to take a ferry. MMATM: "Don`t pay the ferryman until he gets you to the other side!"...but that wasn`t possible here. Ooh, what a surprise, full price even for half size! That`s not fair, even if you can`t look over the railing! But hupps, what`s that...the sun!? Perhaps the ferryman doesn`t bring us
to England? We`ve expected a lot of rain....we`ve expected so much water, that only Slann teams are able to play a Blood Bowl game! Although we`ve never seen these slimy little green hoppers before!

When we arrived in england we go to Southend-on-sea to have a break. The roots of the Treeman are a little bit wounded and we need professional help in a flower shop. After one week we meet an other Halfling team in London. "Super Size Me" with the coach "Neilpferd". He organized the Halfling challenge and we go all the way to Sheffield to stay at the Delafields house. Pete and Anna, coaches of two more Halfling teams. 1000 thanks to them, it`s not easy to have 45 Halflings, 3 Ogres, 7 Treemen, 4 Masterchefs and one cat in one house!

Then it was saturday...the day of the first 3 matches. It was a warm welcome at the orchard hotel in Nottingham. So many
coaches from all over the world. Every team gets a wonderful fame coin, what a great gift! Congratulations to the NAF!
Our coach was so happy to get dice from italy from the NAF president "Beppe" and from "Pippy" Newcastle league dice!
He was a little bit late for the 1st match, because he talks, talks and talks to so many coaches. "Lordillo", a friend from Spain told the story about his brother, who wants to go to the tournament but at the airport....oh no, id-card forgotten, so he must stay in Germany where he lives. A really sad story. It was also a great pleasure for him to see "BlocknRoll" again. Two years ago at the wonderful "Albion Coast Cup", he was a kind of personal guide in Southampton. "What a great start of a great journey" wich ends in the north of Spain at Txapo`s fantastic "Patatonia Cup" Yeah .....he can talk there for hours....come on coach.......let the games begin!!

1st round against Dark Elf: To describe our game against this opponent you must know, that our Masterchef isn`t only a Masterchef. He knows all 24 races and their favourite dishes. For the Dark Elf, his special meal was a cauldron of Bloodwurst. MMATM: "Don`t trust a player from the other team, even if you don`t hold the ball!" There was an assassin
attacks me twice, but the blade was made in taiwan, it wasn`t steel, it was a kind of cheap rubber. So I was lucky because it even won`t hurt my skin! The scent of the bloodwurst confused the Dark Elf team so much that they missed the hand-off to draw the game in Turn 16. So it was an unexpected 2:1 win against "Donshula`s" team. It was a pleasure to play against the Edinburgh coach! We´re glad to hear, that he was more lucky in the other games later........1000 thanks for the Edinburgh League Dice!!!

2nd round against Dwarfs: ...The game was against "Manu" a unique, fantastic, talented and very kind female coach from Italy! The game begins and "sorry Manu sorry"......we win..............................but only the kick-off decision. I missed the catch of the kick-off and the next 3 pick ups so the rest is told very quick. No chance against this very good team! But it
doesn`t matter, because it was a fantastic and funny 2,5 hours time to play this game against Manus Dwarfs! A very lucky one-turner at the end so the result was Dwarfs:2 Halflings:1 1000 thanks Manu!!!!!!!!!!!!

3rd round against Lizardman: Thanks to "BeardoSlatford" for this very interesting game. We halflings have learned a lot. It wasn`t a brilliant idea to give the ball to Deeproot in the second half! Perhaps we get nearer to the endzone if he makes a hand-off to the snails who overtake him in a double speed tempo! Every time there was a knot of Lizards around him. Lizards:1 Halflings:0

4th round against Humans: It was also a great pleasure to play a game against "David_Hamlin" from London! Dice mat and dice with a fantastic big "G" on the 6. It was the G of "The Guardian" because a few Blood Bowl players have a forum at the newspapers site! After the game we get 2 of these wonderful dice from David and they`ll have a special place in our coach`s dice-collection!!! Humans:1 Halflings:0 but that doesn`t matter at all! Thanks for this game and the dice to David and his mates from London!

5th round against Chaos Dwarfs: A game against "Thursablot", a swedish coach. He was 1:0 in front at halftime, but the 3 Treeman and some flings gets out 3 Chaos Dwarfs, 1 Bull Centaurus and 1 Hobgoblin by blocking, fouling and pushes at the sideline in the second half. So we`re lucky at the end with the result: Chaos Dwarf:1 Halflings:1

6th round against Underworld: Fasten your seatbelts! That wasn`t a Blood Bowl game, it was a Blood Bowl Battle! The 2 coaches are friends and know each other very well. But the teams on the pitch blocks more brutal than Ogre teams with 6 Ogres per team! This game was the reason, that 2 Treeman won`t get home as usual.....but you`ll read it in a moment! First important thing: Our masterchef was brilliantly prepared for this match! His very very old mousetrap cheese from the time during the French Revolution, was the perfect meal to distract the skaven (and even the goblins)! No re-rolls in both halfs for "Kuei-Jin" and his superb painted Underworld team. The halflings wins the kick-off and from that point nothing goes wrong for the flings until the second half! The 3 Treeman block like they were sons of Odin! Only one re-roll to change a "Take Root" in the first half. 4 Underworld players are out and he must use "Fezglitch" for his last Turn in the first half. But "Fezglitch" knocks down "Wurzel Sepp", his Troll with Claws kills "Deeproot" and the foul in the face of Treeman "Wurzel Sepp" sees him die also! To start the second half: 2 Treeman and 2 halflings dead! The Underworld team gets the ball, also only 11 players left. They`ll try a Hail Mary Pass in Turn 3. The ball scatters 3 times lucky for us flings. It was possible to pick up the ball and to get protected by the one Treeman who was alive for the rest of the game! Very lucky, very bashy: Underworld:0 Halflings:1 .But it was possible vice versa! Unforgettable game. 1000 thanks to Kuei-Jin!

It was really a great weekend and we`re on the the way back home now! The 2 dead Treeman are still with us!
"Deeproot" was reborn as a wardrobe and "Wurzel Sepp" was reborn 4 times as 4 different tables! We carry them to the Auenland, so they`ll always be near us! After nearly one week we have arrived in Loughborough. So we`re going very quickly!

Thanks to all the coaches for the wonderful weekend!

"Kalle Krautpusch" (peterd)

P.S. Thanks "Neilpferd" for the fantastic halfling challenge idea and the help to get this article on the NAF- and TFF-site

Reason: ''
Maverick
Legend
Legend

Re: The tale of Total Reroll - A Halflings Challenge Experie

Post by Maverick »

OK saw the last photo being taken - and wondered what was up.... I hear the goblins had hidden all the step ladders

Great report :D

"Even if you win the Rat Race you're still a RAT"

Leipziger
Legend
Legend

Post by Leipziger »

Great write up Neil :) Nice pics too!

Twitter:@wormito
Waterbowl fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/WaterbowlMcr/

Stunty Slam 14 - 10/09/22
Waterbowl Weekend 2023, Feb 18/19, NWGC

Team England Committee Member
Toffer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Toffer »

Great report :D

neilnickson
Veteran
Veteran

Post by neilnickson »

I guess I didn't make it clear but I have just posted it. Peterd wrote it (in his second language) and did the pictures. He is just not familiar with posting on here. I'll pass on your comments though thanks.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Good read :)

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
TheDancingClown
Experienced
Experienced

Post by TheDancingClown »

Cracking write up and the Halfling holiday pics have me trying hard not to giggle at work.

I really do enjoy reading everyones reports and they make non-attendees very jealous

goldbaek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by goldbaek »

Excellent stuff! :D

Aino
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Aino »

Great read !

Fighting signature size creep ;)
txapo
Star Player
Star Player

Post by txapo »

I had a laugth peter! loved your teams photos with the landscape as the one you did over the vineyards of Rioja two years ago the moment I saw it I knew it was you! :orc:

zoesky
Rookie
Rookie

Post by zoesky »

Very good report! Thank you!

Garrick
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Garrick »

Priceless and you beat our National Team Captain in the first round to boot. Quality Tournament Report!

The artist formerly known as Dipso Gnome.