Bloodbowl Odds

Moderators: lunchmoney, Jimjimjimany, Boneless, deeferdan, TFF Mods

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

sean newboy wrote:How bout suggesting she go from uk to mainland
What mainland? We are the damn mainland! It's just everyone else whose on some two-bit island :lol:

Reason: ''
Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Well, my cheque probably won't get there in time, and I've not had a phone call from GW (so much for the reserve list), but even if I was going, I'd not stand a chance of winning, but I'll still come along for the fun (and the beer - they do serve cider in Bugman's don't they)?

Can I put a fiver on me to win at 100,000:1? :lol:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

Here's the problem as I see it, especially that so many of those going to be there are regular TalkBBers or just good mates anyway:

I'm playing x in the last game of the weekend before the final. We both have good records so far, 3 wins and 2 draws, plus we are both reasonable painters, scoring at least a 2 if not a 3. The game ends in a draw and I am asked to chose the most sportsmanlike opponent I played.

Mr x was a great guy, a real credit to the game, he even opted not to call an IP when I forgot about my Rat Ogre. Sound bloke. If I give him my Nice Guy Eddie award, he makes the final. If I don't, I make the final :-? :?:

Now, I'm not a win at all cost kind of guy. I like to be able to sleep at night. Others aren't so conscientious, and the system is open to abuse...

I still think separate prizes for painting and sportsmanship make more sense, but then what do I know? :roll:

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
GenoNBBL
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by GenoNBBL »

Hey, did you all forget about me? :lol:

Last tournament game I played in I lost 6-1 to Amazons with my Chaos, I rolled 4 double skulls in sucsession with my Ogre, It was unbelievable!

Then I lost to WoodElf's 2-1 after a failed GFI.

I'll be battling it out for 190th with a Halfling coach :D

Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

Agreed on the sportsmanship/painting scores. Although I like to see sportsmanship averaged and added to scores across all games. Knock off the highest and lowest scores - olympic judge style - and you get a reasonable metric.

There's ample scope for rorting the system to get through. I know that, personally, the players I'm mostly likely to have the toughest games against are most likely the ones I'd give a high sportsmanship score to. That's obviously not going to do any good to my positions but, hey, if that's the way I see it it's the way I have to call it.

Personally I'm not a win at all costs kind of guy. I'd much rather earn my trophy than win it - if you get what I mean.

Marcus - [url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=42448#42448]Hall of Famer[/url] - [url=http://www.irwilliams.com/ecbbl/index.php]Edinboro Castle Blood Bowl League[/url]
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Worth noting that we don't yet know how the sportsmanship is going to work this time around.

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

Valid point. I hope there are some changes from last year though...

PS, DW, your Avatar makes me realise something... Thadrin's DeathRoller is finally in season!! :lol:

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
cidervampire
Experienced
Experienced

painting etc

Post by cidervampire »

I'm getting a friend to paint my team for me this time round. I used to be ok at painting as a kid but have drank way too much since then to manage anything so delicate nowadays. If its anything like last year, unless you get maximum points for painting you may as well forget about your chances. Still unsure whether to use Undead or Chaos, won all 4 games at res with chaos and got 3 wins 3 draws at spiky with undead

Not too sure whether GW will let people use Thrud as you can't buy him on a team like the other stars in the standard version of the rules, only freeboot him and freebooting is part of the campaign rules rather than the standard ones. Whats the bets that GW won't mention him in the rule pack and some screwy stuff happens on the day.

Evil Git
Hoomin's Deliverer

Post by Evil Git »

GenoNBBL

you should know that the wooden spoon title is going here to the strongest team in the competition... strong but not very good :lol:

http://www.createforum.com/teamscotlandbb
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

Norse wrote:Valid point. I hope there are some changes from last year though...

PS, DW, your Avatar makes me realise something... Thadrin's DeathRoller is finally in season!! :lol:
Hadn't noticed that I'd brought him back specially for the festive season then Ramz?
<---

My BB Personal Goal is a Winning record. Should be possible if the dice don't do to me in Nottingham as they have to my Pub team.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
DaFrenchCoach
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DaFrenchCoach »

Sportmanship in a game is really important... And a real part of the relation between the both gamers. I can't stand someone with whom I was fairplay makes me a dirty trick!

But has it to be a part of the winning points? Not sure.

IMHO, painting is another problem. I can understand that painting can be included in the winning points since an independent jury can give the points, whereas the sportmanship points can't!

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

unless I'm wrong, at GW events for WFB and 40K they have an award for "Best General" in addition to overall winner. Now presumably that would be the guy who actually won most, by most.
So the guy who actually wins out gets a prize and the guy who comes out on top with sportsmanship and painting counted would be the overall winner.

In the case of the blood bowl it should be the blood bowl winner would be the gu who just plain wins (this is at least nominally a sport after all) and there'd also be a prize for overall victor...oh look, there's the old "Res" title....and we all know that they've already announced there'll be a "Warhammer world league cup" however the hell THAT will work...

Ah who cares, I won't get even close to either of them. Who's round is it - that'll be 17 bitters, and 19 lagers....

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
Podfrey
Bum Monkey

Post by Podfrey »

Just seen the rules pack - sportsmanship won't be added until the very end. Who plays in the final is worked out on tournie points for games ONLY, with a tie being decided in TDs, then CAS (then something else which I forget right now but that's not the point).

Personally I like to see well painted figs and honestly believe that the hobby would be no where near its current level without well painted figs, so rewarding that is correct. At the end of the day a very well painted team is only worth 1 point over a painted team. That's not even the difference between a draw and a win, but is the difference between a major loss and a draw and so (hopefully) gives us all an incentive to paint well. Learning to paint well is not about skill, but patience and practice.

See you all there in March!!

Lucifer

a.k.a. Geoff Porritt
(Head Coach of the Blight Crusaders)

p.s. Looks like GW altered their results forms so even numpties like me can fill them in correctly. Plus I have three people who will be double checking them for me after last years chimping from me.

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

It's a much better ruleset all around....I'm happy enough with the format.

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

They need to clarify 2 things (one of which interests me, one of which does not...)

1) Can Wizards be taken?

2) Casualties only count if an opponent falls inside the pitch as a result of a block, right?? I don't want some uncouth bugger claiming crowd casualties or falling while GFI/dodging as casualties...

Otherwise, yes, they look fine to me too...