Blood Bowl tournament tactics - (1 mil & Star environmen

Moderators: lunchmoney, Jimjimjimany, Boneless, deeferdan, TFF Mods

carlbrown
Rookie
Rookie

Blood Bowl tournament tactics - (1 mil & Star environmen

Post by carlbrown »

I might be jumping the gun here as the final rules for the BB Tourn next March haven't been released yet but...

Does anyone know what sort of teams & tactics are used in the 1 mil + Star Player environment?

I wasn't at Res so I'm trying to figure out what to expect.

BTW - I'm already decided on taking Orcs so it's not going to affect what choice of team I take - I'm just interested in other peoples experiences.

Thanks - Carl

Reason: ''
Kruel 'No Mor Mista Nice Orc' Kharlle
'Ed Koach, Da Deff Skwadd
Most Sporting Coach BB 2503
Beaten by halfings BB 2504 :oops:
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

No take High Elves - and Prince Moron - he's great :wink:

I'm torn between playing Orcs, Goblins or some mix of the two - e.g. Orcs with Ogre/Ripper/Morg and a few gobbos to throw.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
carlbrown
Rookie
Rookie

Post by carlbrown »

ianwilliams wrote: I'm torn between playing Orcs, Goblins or some mix of the two - e.g. Orcs with Ogre/Ripper/Morg and a few gobbos to throw.
Yep, I've seen this monster combo knocking around - very scarey.

Not my cup o' tea though I've never been too keen on using Ogre's in Orc teams, they don't smell right :)

Ian - were you at Res? if so what sort of teams were prevalent?

cheers - Carl
You know I might think about High Elves & Moron... :puke:
...then again, maybe not.

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

In the archive forum there is the write up and results from last years res. Lizardmen eventually won.

I am going deciding between skaven, choas dwarfs, undead and orcs, cause i have the most experience with them and i prefer the running game (though skaven can throw fairly well)

I am expecting to see a mixture of all sorts of races there tbh, think orcs will be most popular so I might steer awaty from them for variety sake.

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Well, with NAF rankings at stake and what's going to be a phenomenally high K value, I don't expect anybody to have any qualms about beardiness/cheesiness.
So I expect Stars to be prevelent, particularly Varags on Orc teams, Zugs on human teams and a fair few Luthors to boot.
Last year I went with Undead/Luthor, and came across 2 orc teams, one with a Varag and 1 with a Varag and a Morg.
I think the Orc competition is going to be white-hot, a lot of good coaches with very strong rosters.
I'm undecided yet, I'm gonna wait for the ruleset.

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

Looking at the possible rosters for the teams I'm likely to take I don't think I'll be looking at stars at all. Maybe Varag if I took orcs but even then I'm not sure. For 100 TR I'd rather have a little depth and an extra reroll. One DP and your beloved star is going to look a bit of a mess....

Oh, and I'll be taking a point off sportsmanship for every coach I play who has a star player ;)

Marcus - [url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=42448#42448]Hall of Famer[/url] - [url=http://www.irwilliams.com/ecbbl/index.php]Edinboro Castle Blood Bowl League[/url]
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Varag's a bit of a no-brainer for Orcs IMO. (I think it was Chet last who said it'd be stupid to field Orcs with no Varag, and then JKL did just that! :D ).
The Leader RR effectively prices him at 100K, which gives you +1 ST, Mighty Blow, Pro and Jump Up for 20K over a normal Orc Blitzer.
And I know there's a danger that he'll be off the field and so a LRR isn't the same as a TRR, but even so...

carlbrown
Rookie
Rookie

Post by carlbrown »

Deathwing wrote:The Leader RR effectively prices him at 100K, which gives you +1 ST, Mighty Blow, Pro and Jump Up for 20K over a normal Orc Blitzer.
And I know there's a danger that he'll be off the field and so a LRR isn't the same as a TRR, but even so...
Yep - me and my brother have always thought Varag was an instant 'in' for orcs just because of the LRR he brings with him, exactly as Deathwing says here.

But - have I heard somewhere that the BBRC are looking at removing Leader from both Varag and Borak?

That could change opinions on taking Varag for Orc teams - I know I'd think twice - TRRs will look more important for a start.

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

I've pretty much already decided on my roster. No stars, because Grim Ironjaw simply ain't worth the cash. If only it were 1.1 mill then I'd be tempted to take th Deathroller for a laugh.

I am making a stand against full on cheese though: no going the 1FF route for me. A small note to anyone who IS thinking about it though: Note what happened at Tulip. Maarcus took a high FF and it proved its worth. I'll be taking a normal team and no expectations of any sort of success.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Thadrin wrote:I am making a stand against full on cheese though: no going the 1FF route for me. A small note to anyone who IS thinking about it though: Note what happened at Tulip. Maarcus took a high FF and it proved its worth. I'll be taking a normal team and no expectations of any sort of success.
That ain't cheese, that's just tourney rosters. Nothing wrong with chancing your arm with a low FF. I'm still undecided, a low FF didn't hurt me any at Res and probably not Tulips.
At Spiky both myself and Longshot had identical Helf rosters with the exception that I went FF6 and LS opted for FF1 and the extra TRR. Nothing wrong with that. In the event, I picked up a few extra RR and didn't get much other help. I'd have been better served with an extra 12 TRRs over the course of the 6 games.
You can get burned though, and it's a bit of a risky policy, but there's nothing cheesy about chancing your arm with a minimum FF in a tournament enviroment.
I don't know whether to gamble or not.... :-?

As for Grim, one of LF's defeats at Res was an all Dwarf game against one of the ECBBL bighats fielding a Grim.

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

carlbrown wrote: I've never been too keen on using Ogre's in Orc teams, they don't smell right :)

" As I racked my brain for an idea, a huge shadow passed over my mind's eye and I had the answer - an Ogre!"

I think you should field that Deff Sqwad roster for the history and fluff! :wink:

Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

Yep,
I went with one extra RR and it was very usefull during all the tournament.
For your mind: more confident with that Xtra RR.
and for your play:argh, i need a RR, ...YES, i got one!!!
And i wasnt affected so much by kickrolls.
Dont forget that on a pitchinvasion, you need to do a big score to hurt a lot of players, and then you need so KO or injured them. A lot of luck in all those roll dice.
In fact, it can happen, but not so frequently.

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
roysorlie
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by roysorlie »

Hmmz...

Chaos teams with Borak
Orc teams with Varag
Human teams with Luthor or morg
Undead teams with Luthor.

Very good starting teams.
The best AP in my opinion would be Borak, Varag and Luthor. Okok, Morg is a bastard! he should go there too I suppose. But I think the others are better.

I would still play elves I think. Try to field a wood elf team with two wardancers.

Roy

Norwegian National Tournament Organizer.

Coachname [url=http://fumbbl.com/~SnakeEyes]SnakeEyes[/url] on [url=http://fumbbl.com/]fumbbl.com[/url]
NAF member 187
Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

Humans can go with Griff!!

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
roysorlie
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by roysorlie »

Oh yeah, Griff is an impressive SP. 7 increases. Quite impressive.
Only, I never really liked SP that were scorers. Thos 3 SSp I'd like too give to somebody who can make use of them.

Roy

Norwegian National Tournament Organizer.

Coachname [url=http://fumbbl.com/~SnakeEyes]SnakeEyes[/url] on [url=http://fumbbl.com/]fumbbl.com[/url]
NAF member 187