NAF 2012 Winner's prize

Moderators: lunchmoney, Jimjimjimany, Boneless, deeferdan, TFF Mods

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

NAF 2012 Winner's prize

Post by spubbbba »

I've been asked to paint up a team to be given as 1st prize at the NAF 2012 Championship so thought I'd chart the progress of them in a thread here. Most of the pics featured have already been blogged about on FUMBBL but I do have a new one of a Thro-ra.

I decided to go for a Khemri team for 3 reasons.

1. I've not done a Khemri team before.
2. GW released some amazing new plastic models for Tomb Kings and Necrons that I thought would be perfect to form the basis of a Bloodbowl team. It also means I can stick to the GW models only rule easily. Plus plastic models take the wear and tear of Bloodbowl play better than metal, as long as you don't stand on them, but they may need base weights to avoid being sent flying at a slight breeze.
3. If you are good enough to win the biggest individual tournament in the world then you might appreciate the challenge of using a weaker team at future events.

One thing I always try to do with my teams is to make them look like they are actual sports stars (albeit a super violent sport) but who also look like they reside in the fantasy Bloodbowl universe.

Tomb Guardians
One of the changes in crp was that Khemri mummies became Tomb Guardians and this opened up more interesting possibilities with these players, The image of mummies is pretty well defined, but I see Tomb Guardians as being magically automated statues that don't necessarily have to be made from bone.

The Necron Lychguard are perfect to use as the basis for the Guardian conversion since they have the size to look like ST5 and AV9. I will be combining them with the arms from the Sepulchral Stalkers and death masks from unit champions. The legs and back of the model have quite a few bits that look too mechanical so these will need to be filled with greenstuff or sculpted to resemble bone joints.
I'm still deciding which of the 4 models to use and exact poses so they are held together with blu tack at the moment, also the arms are a bit long so these need to be chopped down. But with 5 bodies then I could make one of the suitably elaborate to use as Ramtut. I have the GW model and his arms and head might fit nicely on one of those bodies with some serious chopping.

Blitz-ras
The Blitz-ras are the first models I have fully glued together. Another aspect of making a team that I am keen on is to ensure that the positionals are all easily identifiable from each other. So I have used the heads from the elite tomb guard models, the Necron torso comes with small shoulder pads but I removed these and replaced them with pads from the vampire count wights. I feel these look quite a lot like American Football style armour but still have a Khemri theme.
As the Blitz-ras are the most active players on the team I have modelled them in more dynamic poses and used arms that had armour on the forearms too. I am also considering giving them the studded shoulder pads instead to make them look a bit more heavily armoured.

Linemen
Not only are these guys the fodder of any team but the Khemri ones are particularly poor so it's tough to make them look good on the pitch but sufficiently less impressive than the Blitz and Thro-ras that you can easily tell them apart. One way will be to have them in rather static poses, since they will probably be doing a lot of standing about getting hit anyway. Plus being centuries dead and animated by magic I don't see them doing a lot of jumping about.

The main decision is whether to give them the bigger shoulder pads or not, without them they obviously look both less impressive and less heavily armoured. But I do really like how the team looks as a whole with the pads, so I think the overall look of the team may win out.

Thro-ra
I'm never sure which position is most suitable for a Bloodbowl team's captain but do think it is a 2 horse race between throwers/runners and blitzers. Throwers fit the quarterback role as the "brains" of the team whilst Blitzers are more action orientated, making important sacks or smashing a hole in the defence. I think liche priests best represent the role of quarterback type on the pitch, so got my hands on the plastic tomb prince from the necrosphinx. I only used his head and arms as the rest of his body doesn't really fit in with the rest of the team and yes it is yet another thrower in a finger pointing pose, though his index finger is extra long as I'm sure that will make his passes extra accurate.
I'm not sure what to do for the other thrower, I am considering using the princes collar, or maybe the mask from either the tomb guard or gold empire wizard, possibly putting him in a running pose?

I am also going to be using this team at the Championship as I don't have time to paint up another team and am bored of my Wood Elves.

At the moment I'm thinking of taking:
4 Tomb Guard
2 Blitz-ras
2 Thro-ras
3 Skeletons
2 rerolls

And either a third re-roll or 4th skeleton and 3 FF.

Depending on opposition, for skills Guard, MB or Tackle on the Blitz-ras is tempting, possibly sure hands or even strip ball. Block or Leader for the Thro-ras and either guard on MB on the Guardians, the Linemen won't be getting anything..

Of course I've not used Khemri much under crp and I see them as a tier 2 team so if things start going horribly wrong and a 2/2/2 record looks unlikely then I may go all MB and try to get most cas. :D

I aim to do at least the team of 11/12 listed above, but I would like to do the full 16 and possibly a display base, but time may not allow for that.
Ideally were I to somehow get super efficient then I'd love to do some turn, score and re-roll markers, and possibly even coaching staff and the stars. Then again the thread about filling every possible model option shows how hard it is to do that without missing something, especially once you start using models for inducements.

Reason: ''
My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Re: NAF 2012 Winner's prize

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Sweet... whoever wins will be a lucky devil indeed.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Great stuff, look forward to further updates.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Very nice, almost make we wish I was going for a shot.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

Wow, this is already looking fantastic!! Great work, Ross.

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
Axtklinge
Legend
Legend

Post by Axtklinge »

Looking great so far!

purdindas
Super Star
Super Star

Post by purdindas »

Really nice concept. Can't wait to see them with some pint on them :)

Have you tried my Crispy Pancakes?

Scottish Blood Bowl Captain
Podfrey
Bum Monkey

Post by Podfrey »

purdindas wrote:Really nice concept. Can't wait to see them with some pint on them :)
I know Scots like a tipple or seven, but surely this is going too far even for you guys?? :o

:wink:

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Ah, I do need to do a proper update with pics for this.

I have built the 8 skeletons and 2 Blitz-ras and the 2 Thro-ras just need a little greenstuff to fill in the gaps. I have all the bits for the Tomb Guardians now so they are not far off being completed. My plan is to have all the models built by the end of March so I can spend all April and the 1st half of May painting them.

The good thing is that the team itself will be quit easy to paint as they are just bone, armour, gold decorations and bandages with a few extra bits here and there. I have got basic colours on 5 of the line skeletons and have fully painted a test model. Sadly the pictures I took of him did not turn out very well as I have used several glazes and washes to make his armour a very dark and shiny Red.

I will have another go at taking pictures of him and the fully built blitz and thro-ras later this month.

Ideally I’d still like to do a Ramtut and Setekh conversion along with display base, coaching staff and markers. But the main priority is to get the team completed on time.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Here are some slightly better pics.

I still can't get the colours to look quite right in the photo for the test lineman but it should give a better idea.

The 2nd thro-ra and the original one has had his decorative collar added.

5 more skeletons with basic colours on them.

Nippy Longskar
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Nippy Longskar »

I really love the use of necron carapaces here, that's so clever! Brilliant way of giving skeletons some bulk but still keeping them looking...skeletal!

Really like the colours too.

Suberb work so far mate, can't wait to admire them on the day.

That's huge
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

I managed to make some progress over the long Easter weekend so I back on schedule now.

I have finished 4 more skeleton linemen so that is enough for a a squad of 13 once you add the positionals. I am working on the Blitz and Thro-ras at the moment as well before going on to the Guardians but hope to go back and finish off the last 3 skellies if I have time.

I experimented with some different lighting settings on my camera for this pic but think it was a little too bright.

The guardians have been stuck together but still need some greenstuff work to turn their mechanical leg joints into more bone like ones. I have made a start on the 2 guardians either side of Ramtut. Plus I need to do some filling round the face masks for a couple of them. In the middle is a work in progress for Ramtut, his arms are a little short compared to the other guardians so I may use similar forearms and chop off his hands at the wrist. Mind you their arms are a little long compared to the rest of the bodies but as they are magical constructs I thought that was not too bad.

axiom
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by axiom »

Looking good :) I agree Ramtut needs longer arms to make him match the other big fellas, and perhaps some additional height to his headgear? Love the guy on the far right with his tall hat

http://www.magpieandoldlead.blogspot.co.uk/
http://www.beastfaceminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

Agreed. Looking fantastic, thanks Ross.

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com