Galak / Cut-throat for BBGT 2010

Moderators: lunchmoney, Jimjimjimany, Boneless, deeferdan, TFF Mods

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Re: Galak / Cut-throat for BBGT 2010

Post by GalakStarscraper »

rodders wrote:you're either with the mob or against :roll:
But I'm told that when I join the mob I get free cheeseburgers and dental benefits. Surely the mob cannot be that bad? :wink:

Galak

Reason: ''
Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

God forbid that the fans of the game be allowed to demonstrate their displeasure with the events of the last few weeks. Let's face it., voting with our wallets is not exactly going to be effective.

Whatever the legal intricacies are, I fail to see the problem with a united display of displeasure with the treatment the community has received in the last few weeks. GW may have been right, but they went about things in the most cack-handed and clumsy way they could.

I'm certainly mystified as to why normally sensible people should take offence at people wishing to do so.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
Hangus
Scotland's Saviour

Post by Hangus »

rodders wrote:Good luck with the reasoned debate indi sadly that doesn't seem to happen here any more you're either with the mob or against :roll:

i would suggets a mod to keep an eye on things but.....

Down with this sort of thing....
Careful now.....

Where's my hat?
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

But what?

There's nothing here that warrants any mod action, even if the majority of the admins didn't advocate the action.

Noone is being rude, insulting or - imo - immature. It's having a gentle poke at some people who really are in need of a healthy slap to remind them that treating your customers badly is a bad thing to do. Cries of "Oh stop being so mean! Leave poor GW alone! " are not what I'd call reasoned debate.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

I have to agree ... I know my bias here is difficult to overcome ... but since when did a GW bashing (especially when they have it coming) become something that required Mod interference.

If folks like Indigo, Rodders, Smeborg, Grumble and Hangus are fine with what GW's actions have been over the last 5 weeks ... they are WELCOME to believe that. But having folks that don't agree with your opinion does not require a Mod action in your favour to stop or prohibit the actions they want to take.

If someone who posts on this forum is getting personally ... we'll make sure it gets taken care of.

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

yet thadrin felt fine to lock a thread where i mentioned how i felt this site was going downhill but left open many others where the "displeasure" is going on

consistency would be nice, while I have stayed clear of voicing my disagreement of this particular issue, I can understand why some might want to do this so haven't raised anything against it, in fact it is one of the more mature suggestions for those who want to do so (and perhaps even constructive)

if people want to right to moan and slag off GW, then I request that other posters get the right to voice displeasure about this forum - moderators should be impartial, clearly there are others who feel that there has been rudeness insults and immaturity over this, just cause games workshop might not read over the threads, doesn't stop some of the stuff that has been posted from being rude

as i've said before Tom has a right to be upset everyone else imo is overreacting

if i'm honest i thought the moderation on here left a lot to be desired before all the cease and desist stuff happened, cracks were showing before this

this has nothing to do with how I feel about games workshop, it is purely down to the kind of site and community that i want to spend time on and feel like i'm part of and would be happy to associate myself with
Cries of "Oh stop being so mean! Leave poor GW alone! " are not what I'd call reasoned debate.
so locking a thread where people were disagreeing with you was reasonable, along with the rest of the carry on? :roll: people in glass houses sir

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

The thread was locked because someone complained about there being a zillion threads complaining...wonder who that was.... not because of the opinions - whether I agree with them or not - expressed in it. No pleasing some people.

You want it open again, that's fine. It's done.

Thetian
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Thetian »

Indigo wrote: Blanket IP renewal doesn't mean blanket C&D, just sites that infringe, or POTENTIALLY infringe, where in doubt GW will send a letter because the letter recipient can't afford the legal costs to fight it.

Fixed your post.

In a perfect world, T.S. Eliot would spell "toilets" backwards. But the the world is imperfect. Flawed. -Eric Idle
Hudson
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Hudson »

Now children play nice, remeber it's only a game.
I find some threads a bit boring now as it's all the same and don't really read them now, just scan for big words :D
some posts make me laugh, some make me shake my head and some i wonder what the poster was on when they wrote it but everyone has a right to an opinion.

I will say i love the idea of the t-shirts for GT, i'll be making one if i go for a bit of fun :D

Most Casualties @ Poo Bowl 09 with 24
Most Casualties @ PK&Q 09 with 21
Most Casualties @ GT 09 with 28
Most Casualties @ Poo Bowl 11 with 28
Most Casualties @ ARRBL 13 with 30
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

Thadrin wrote:The thread was locked because someone complained about there being a zillion threads complaining...wonder who that was....
if that is a dig at me, that thread (which you have no unlocked again) was the only one that had adult civil responses, it was all the toys out the pram threads I was objecting too

singled out the wrong thread, I was rather pissed off about the locking of that one when it happened, I was gonna let it slide but there is only so much I feel I can gloss over without just taking the step of stopping coming on here entirely

Indigo
Not Grumpy in the slightest

Post by Indigo »

With luck this post won't be deleted... :roll:
Thadrin wrote:God forbid that the fans of the game be allowed to demonstrate their displeasure with the events of the last few weeks. Let's face it., voting with our wallets is not exactly going to be effective.
Hang on, I get shouted at in other threads for saying that boycotts of GW are pointless and in all likelihood just talk anyway, including a couple of snotty messages about how I'm GW's bitch, then all of a sudden it's "pointless"? :)
Whatever the legal intricacies are, I fail to see the problem with a united display of displeasure with the treatment the community has received in the last few weeks. GW may have been right, but they went about things in the most cack-handed and clumsy way they could.

I'm certainly mystified as to why normally sensible people should take offence at people wishing to do so.
I'm mystified as to why normally sensible people have taken up the pitchforks and are storming the castle. Or rather many weeks afterwards are STILL storming the castle, camped outside.

It's sad, I feel sorry for Tom - all things I've said before - but turning TBB into "TalkAboutHowMuchYouHateGW" isn't the solution, nor is printing T-Shirts/team names etc. I admit it might make YOU feel better, but it's not going to alter GW one bit and at the GT, when people new to the game see a few people wearing T-shirts about it, ask some questions, when they get a load of replies and anti-GW vitriol it's hardly conducive to bringing new people into the game. At best you'll get a giggle in Bugmans, at worst the newbies will think the online community are strange.

Don't mistake a different opinion to hatred or apathy. I'm not a fan of the turn of events, but I can understand why it happened. I liked the situation we had before, but it's not coming back.

edit: and I see a ton of threads posted since I last read this topic will have to catch up

rodders
Legend
Legend

Post by rodders »

GalakStarscraper wrote:
rodders wrote:you're either with the mob or against :roll:
But I'm told that when I join the mob I get free cheeseburgers and dental benefits. Surely the mob cannot be that bad? :wink:

Galak

hee hee hee its good to see that despite all the unfair treatment you've recieved over the past weeks from GW you can keep your sense of humor good on you.

i for one like the idea of Galak named teams to get the recognision you deserve at the very least for your hard work as well as doubleskulls babs and geggster heck in the c.r.a.p even JJ doesn't get a mention himself (not got it to hand please correct me if i'm wrong)

also as i have reitterated before i'm washing my hands of 40k and wfb and will only support gw with bloodbowl related items but i donot feel the need to vent my spleen over it and resorting to insults no matter how i feel they may be deserved.

The very worst of it all is fellow forum members whom i once respected sending derrogitory and foul pms to other forums members who do not share thier view!!!

Come on guys grow up for the sake of the game we love and to keep it going for many years we need to keep this community civil friendly and constructive or GW wins we become divided and bb dies

Propping up the Chelmsford Bunker since 2010

NAF RTO southern UK
Indigo
Not Grumpy in the slightest

Post by Indigo »

Thetian wrote:
Indigo wrote: Blanket IP renewal doesn't mean blanket C&D, just sites that infringe, or POTENTIALLY infringe, where in doubt GW will send a letter because the letter recipient can't afford the legal costs to fight it.
Fixed your post.
I admit I may be wrong on this one, but surely the letter recipient should only have a need to fight a C&D request if they believe they are the actual owners of the IP?

Granted GW have allowed people to use stuff provided there are disclaimers but they also reserve the right to cancel that at their discretion.

Again, I may be wrong, but weren't the C&D letters from GW effectively saying "stop using/doing stuff that infringes our IP", which they are perfectly entitled to do and which is also not worth fighting against regardless of cost?

Hudson
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Hudson »

rodders wrote: Come on guys grow up for the sake of the game we love and to keep it going for many years we need to keep this community civil friendly and constructive or GW wins we become divided and bb dies

Maybe i've been watching to much tv the past week but for some reason darts springs to mind when i read rodders post. Must be because both the break away PDC and BDO had there championships at the same time.

Most Casualties @ Poo Bowl 09 with 24
Most Casualties @ PK&Q 09 with 21
Most Casualties @ GT 09 with 28
Most Casualties @ Poo Bowl 11 with 28
Most Casualties @ ARRBL 13 with 30
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

rodders wrote:i for one like the idea of Galak named teams to get the recognision you deserve at the very least for your hard work as well as doubleskulls babs and geggster
I've had plenty of time to get over the severe emotions of the past weeks and I still very much support the team naming for the Blood Bowl. Blizzard which is so much larger than GW can manage a more important IP and does it by actively encouraging fan support and fan websites (and they openly state on their website that they encourage this and the rules for doing so). When folks like Indigo say they HAVE to do it to protect their IP he's just wrong. So its not childish as Indigo suggested to peacefully protest the fact that GW choose the sledgehammer and dagger instead of the carrot to approach the last 2 months.

So even the hard emotions have past ... I still think the manner of peaceful protest suggested on this thread is appropriate and I wish I could be there to join it.
The very worst of it all is fellow forum members whom i once respected sending derrogitory and foul pms to other forums members who do not share thier view!!!
After talking to Indigo by PM ... he had key misunderstanding of the last 5 weeks. So you walk into the bar after a big game loss and yell "Manchester sucks" ... are you really surprised that someone takes a swing at you? (especially when you don't know the facts and speak from a position of ignorance???) Seriously?

So what I would recommend is that if anyone else new comes to this part like Indigo did yesterday that BEFORE!!!! you post ... please PM me and I'll give you the key details. If AFTER having the key details you want to call us to "grow up" good enough.

So to summarize ... Indigo walks in without facts ... tells us to grow-up ... got punched. While very not cool in the overall scheme ... what Indigo did was act like GW did when they called us all cut-throat. (ie there are ways and there are ways).

====

In summary ... I still like the team naming idea ... I think its appropriate for what was done to us (and it was us ... the community designed LRB 6.0) and its peaceful.

If someone wants to come into the thread and start insulting the folks that want to do this ... PM me first and make sure you are not ignorant of the facts before you post.

Tom/Galak