Blood bowl 2009- 30th/31st May

Moderators: lunchmoney, Jimjimjimany, Boneless, deeferdan, TFF Mods

duttydave
Star Player
Star Player

Post by duttydave »

I will go because it is THE Blood Bowl GT.

However, I was a bit disappointed last year that there was no free commemorative Coin or any free gift for the players.

Also, do we know if Bugmans will be full of Salsa Dancers again on the Friday night?

Reason: ''
mattwhile
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by mattwhile »

I do see the attraction of going because it's the biggest tournament. But for me that shouldn't be the only reason to go. I think I could go to the Dungeonbowl (for example) for the same cost, and that's almost as big. I've seen people using Dungeonbowl dice cups, so there's probably more value in going abroad (not to mention German beer :lol: ).

My biggest issue is with not allowing other miniatures to be used. I don't invite people to a party and then tell them what they're allowed to drink. There should be free choice. I have nice looking teams that I am restricted from taking them because they include other models. I understand that for the painting competition that GW could, and should, limit it to their models. Not allowing other models looks like an attempt to monopolize the fantasy football market. In todays economic climate especially, people should want to spend their money at the GT, not go begrudgingly.

That being said I'll probably go and have a fantastic time :lol:.

oldtimer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by oldtimer »

I've not played current BB - didn't like the direction it took and the noises about it since (currently play 3rd ed in fact with very minor tweakage) but I'm tempted to come out of retirement for a go at the actual BB tournament again.

It's was a lot of fun when I've been before (even getting beat is fun) - it's BB after all but the time issue is the toughy for me to work out - an entire weekend could be tricky to organise with the 'powers that be'.
mattwhile wrote:My biggest issue is with not allowing other miniatures to be used.
I can't see the issue here - it's GWs tourney so use GW's minis if that's what they say. Non-GW tourney's use whatever that organiser says you can use.

No big deal really - not to my eyes at least.

And to give you another analogy to ponder:

If you go to support a football club and pay your ticket to get in at the home end you'd look a bit odd wearing the away teams football shirt and cheering for the other side. Not to mention running the risk of the ire of the hardcore home supporters firm. (And aside from that it's not very polite - when you can go and jeer/cheer with the away end just as easily).

No offense intended by the way - just offering an alternative view point.

:D

mattwhile

Post by mattwhile »

No but using your analogy, it wouldn't be a neccessity to wear the home kit to attend, once you had bought a ticket. You'd be free to wear pretty much anything :wink: .
:D

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Hardly a new rule, and one I personally have no problems with. If you don't want to play GW-only figs, don't attend - it's not like they're forcing you to go.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
mattwhile

Post by mattwhile »

Simon.

I personally do have a problem with that rule. I understand that I'm in the minority with this viewpoint. But I wouldn't cut my nose off to spite my face, by not attending, on the fact that I don't agree with one rule.

The atmosphere at the GT has been very enjoyable the last two years that I have been. If I go next year I'm sure it will be the same.

Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

I expect the White Isle will mobilise on that weekend - I'd imagine we had too much fun last year for a few of us not to go again, despite the usual GW issues. :D

Gazza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Gazza »

I myself will attend, and more than likely drink far to much on the Friday night (might even reach that magical 4th pint) so come Saturday wouldn't know a GW figure from a non-GW fig. Have to attend anyway just to put Sir Pug in his place :D :D .

Loved the analogy's guys (didn't understand them mind :o :o :D ).

SillySod
Eternal Rookie
Eternal Rookie

Post by SillySod »

Pgoo wrote:I expect the White Isle will mobilise on that weekend - I'd imagine we had too much fun last year for a few of us not to go again, despite the usual GW issues. :D
Yar, Pete has a bigger house to trash this year, dont think I wanna miss out on that :D

Victim of the Colonel's car boot smash. First person to use Glynn's bath.
Update: the Hartlepool family Glynn now has a virgin bath.

Barney is a clever dog.
Chewie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Chewie »

I'll be there if i can get the time off.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Undecided on wheter I'll attend or not.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Igor Tahavanale
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Igor Tahavanale »

After deciding last year during the event that GW could ram it and it's "added value" right up their big fat space marine loving ar$eh0le (and writing something unpleasent on the return sheet) they then went and gave me the stunty cup. My now rose tinted glasses put me in the frame of mind to return with something goblin flavoured. Again. For the 4th time. One year I might take a propper team to this thing :wink:

Only Smarteez 'av Da Ansa
SillySod
Eternal Rookie
Eternal Rookie

Post by SillySod »

Igor Tahavanale wrote:One year I might take a propper team to this thing :wink:
It will be a sad year :)

Victim of the Colonel's car boot smash. First person to use Glynn's bath.
Update: the Hartlepool family Glynn now has a virgin bath.

Barney is a clever dog.
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

voted with my feet in the last two

see no reason to go next year either

stormsson
Rookie
Rookie

Post by stormsson »

Noooooooooo!!!!!!

How dare the missus go and get herself pregnant. And how dare the unborn child decide that late may would be a good time of year to join the world. And how dare gw conspire against me to move to the weekend of the gt.

Of course some might say that this is all my fault for not being able to keep it in my trousers.

Oh well, would love to go again but it seems nuffle may be conspiring against me. Maybe I should stop worshipping at the altar of Nurgle and start playing a proper team again.