The felt pitches the Spanish (I think) team had...

Moderators: lunchmoney, Jimjimjimany, Boneless, deeferdan, TFF Mods

Pug
Legend
Legend

Post by Pug »

Darkson wrote:In the tournament proper.
Ruling from GW staff was: "you can use custom pitches, but only with your opponents consent".
Yup. I over heard this as well.
If I had know I would have hauled my stadium around!

"Want to play under flood lights or not? !!"

Reason: ''
"In Dodge We Trust"
Mordredd
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Mordredd »

Darkson wrote:
nyarlathotep wrote:Couldn't that all be cleared up by the addition of another row of squares beyond the endzone?
Then that's treading on GW's IP for 2nd edition boards.
In addition it was my understanding that it was more about the way the field is divided than the exact number of squares.

Mordredd's Apocalypse: the Old World's premier Dwarf Magnet. :-?
Mordredd
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Mordredd »

DDogwood wrote:
Mordredd wrote:Oh, and I remember talking to someone in GW about this at the time (JJ, Andy, can't quite recall who) and the story they spun was that there were indeed many things that contributed to the victory; but that the pitch layout was the killer blow that sealed the deal for them due to it being unique to BB.
I don't know if anyone, even the folks at Cyanide or GW, can actually say whether the board layout was the 'killer blow', since the lawsuit was settled out of court. The fact that Cyanide walked away with the rights to produce a Blood Bowl video game implies that the case was far from cut-and-dried, and that both parties realized that there wasn't much benefit in a drawn-out court case.

If GW had an impregnable case, there wouldn't be much incentive for them to settle at all, let alone give the defendant the right to develop the game.
On your first point; have you considered that there had to be a point in the pre-trial negotiations at which Cyanide folded and conceded to GW? If that point was when GW pointed out that their BB pitch layout was unique then labelling it their coup de grace would seem reasonable, wouldn't you say?

As for incentive, well GW have tried to do BB computer games before (one got aborted in development pretty recently, relatively speaking; you can probably still find the trailer on youtube), and they know about the sucess of FUMBBL, so they're obviously interested in pursuing BB in this format. Now, thanks to legal action, they more or less own a computer games developer who has already gone most of the way to making one. Its wasn't actual BB, but the foundations and expertise was already there. So instead of having worthless IOUs from a bankrupt company they go for the we'll invest in you-you give us royalties in liu of damages win-win approach.

Ok, that may or may not be what happened (I don't know); but its a very plausible scenario.

Mordredd's Apocalypse: the Old World's premier Dwarf Magnet. :-?
DDogwood
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DDogwood »

Mordredd wrote:Ok, that may or may not be what happened (I don't know); but its a very plausible scenario.
Totally plausible; GW has made some very poor choices in picking developers for their electronic entertainment licenses, so it does make sense to pick a company that's already done a good job with your IP :)

All I'm saying is that we don't have enough information to say whether the pitch design is something that GW can defend as their IP. I doubt that it's patented, and the only unique features are the number of squares and the wide zone lines.

If you made a board with the same number and size of squares as a Blood Bowl pitch, and drew in the extra lines to make it look like a tennis court, I doubt GW could do anything about it (especially if you said it was a tennis court).

Wilf
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Wilf »

I've spoken to koliriokolapso, and he is happy to ship pitches to the UK. He would prefer to send a batch of them at a time, and I guess that would probably be the cheaper option, so if there are a few people interested in getting one I could do a bulk order.

The cost is £25 for the basic pitch in your choice of colour - blue, red, green, mustard yellow, black.

A pitch with one half in one colour, and one in another is £30. Same colours available.

If you want your NAF nick or something else in one of the endzones, that's and extra £5, or two nicks/phrases in both endzones is £10.

So I'm looking at getting a black and mustard yellow pitch with my NAF nick wilzif in one endzone and something else in the other - that's £40 plus postage.

koliriokolapso is finding out how much it will cost to send them to England and then I can place an order.

So, anyone else interested in getting one of the pitches? I'm happy to place and order and receive them and then ship them on in the UK if there are enough takers.

Let me know.

Wilf
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Wilf »

Come on, any takers? :D

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Still thinking abouut it.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Wilf
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Wilf »

Ok, koliriokolapso has found out it will £14 for postage and packaging, but it will be the same price for up to 4 pitches to be sent over here.

It makes sense then to get 4 if there are enough people interested. I'm still happy to receive them and ship them on in the UK.

Do we have another three?

Hudson
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Hudson »

Very temted, let me check my bank and bills etc

Nippy Longskar
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Nippy Longskar »

I'd definately be interested, shall I PM you details of what specifics I'd like Wilf? And how should we organise payment?

That's huge
Wilf
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Wilf »

Hi Nippy, yes PM me that's fine. Payment-wise I think kolirio is looking for PayPal, so ideally if there's another 3 interested plus me then if you could send me the funds - I will transfer them on as one payment for the whole lot.

If you're not happy with that, it should be fine to pay kolirio directly and just pay me for the postage in the UK.

Not sure how much it will cost to forward on in the UK, but I can't see it being any more than £5 per pitch.

Cheers

Leipziger
Legend
Legend

Post by Leipziger »

Hi Wilf,

I'm also up for getting a board :) Shall I pm you with details as you have advised Nippy to?

Twitter:@wormito
Waterbowl fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/WaterbowlMcr/

Stunty Slam 14 - 10/09/22
Waterbowl Weekend 2023, Feb 18/19, NWGC

Team England Committee Member
Valen
Walking on the beaches...

Post by Valen »

I am in

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!
Wilf
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Wilf »

Leipziger - that's fine mate. Send the details.

As soon as I have received funds from you lot, I'll confirm you as part of the order. We can fit up to 4 pitches per package, so it will be first come first served really. I guess if there's more than 4 we could go for two packages, so long as people are happy with that and kolirio is happy to take on the extra workload!

Let me know as soon as.

So far there is me and Valen - any more?

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

I am interested. but have to check the Bank account

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P