Standard Bloodbowl Skill routes

Moderators: lunchmoney, Jimjimjimany, Boneless, deeferdan, TFF Mods

gsot_5
Experienced
Experienced

Standard Bloodbowl Skill routes

Post by gsot_5 »

With only really playing 1.1mil tounys with front loaded skills, I'm a bit at a loss for the bloodbowl.

After a quick discussion with Stick I now know what to expect from dwarf teams but would like to get some idea what skills other teams tend to take.

Undead for example would be pretty happy with block on ghouls and guard on mummies/wights maybe sure hands on a ghoul. But what order? Why?

And yes I'm already hyper excited about the Bloodbowl. <--- Sad.

So I'll look at what I'm thinking for wood elves.

1st skill: Leader, obvious
2nd skill: Kick, the earlier you get this more you get to use it (as with any skill suppose) but isn't situational and is usually a pain.
3rd skill:Strip ball, wardancer, not too sure, a lot of good 1mil teams have sure hands or will look to take it early. So may go tackle.
4th and 5th skill: not sure but probably another wardancer skill and a block/wrestle catcher

Even writing that was fairly hard and I changed my mind a few times.

I imagine Dwarf goes something like guard, guard, guard, guard(or block), guard/block/mighty blow.

So what are the 'standard' routes for teams?

Reason: ''
PubBowler
Legend
Legend

Post by PubBowler »

My thoughts on Dwarfs:

Block Runner
Guard Blitzer
Guard Blitzer
Guard Blocker
Guard Blocker

Pretty obvious I think.

For Wood Elves, I'd be taking Kick and Frenzy before Leader & Strip Ball.

Most teams will be picking up a Sure Hands ball carrier as first skill pick (often combined with Block).

Team Scotland Record:
EuroBowl 2009: 3-2-1

Gimmicks>Shennanigans>Everything Else
Valen
Walking on the beaches...

Post by Valen »

You dont block both Runners? I generally block both then guard the blitzers followed by a guard blocker

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!
PubBowler
Legend
Legend

Post by PubBowler »

I only take one Runner in all the Dwarf tournies I've done so far.

Unusual (maybe even stupid, I'm not sure) and something I should have pointed out in my post, sorry about that.

It's due to the irrational fear of having a non-block player and an obsessive desire to maximise Guard.

I'm seeking help...

Team Scotland Record:
EuroBowl 2009: 3-2-1

Gimmicks>Shennanigans>Everything Else
Nippy Longskar
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Nippy Longskar »

I took woodies last year, and took:

Leader on Thrower - essential when you only have the one RR
Strip Ball on Wardancer - Always a nice threat, if only because it cuts down your opponents ball carrier options
Kick Lineelf - Fantastic for Woodies, as noted
Sprint Catcher - For 'easy' one turners
Block Catcher - Good Allrounder

The only skill I wasn't satisfied with in retrospect was sprint - another block catcher or one of tackle, wrestle or sidestep on the second wardancer would have been better - or even *shudder* dirty player to get rid of opposing surehanders.

That's huge
gsot_5
Experienced
Experienced

Post by gsot_5 »

My new thoughts...

Wood Elves

1st leader, 1RR is not nice
2nd frenzy, wardancer, I've well and truely seen the light
3rd kick, so you can play offense on defense

Then not sure, tackle could be useful, sidestep wardancer could be good to. 2 blodge catchers is nice to. Accurate allows you to play a hugely more efficient 'spread' game against the slower teams.

Lycos
Da Ex-Boss

Post by Lycos »

Strip ball before Frenzy IMO. I agree Frenzy is great on a WD but not before SB....

TFF mod team
kwèk
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kwèk »

Wood elves: (2 Dancers, 4 Catchers, 5 lineman, 3 rerolls)

1. Wardancer : Strip Ball
2. Wardancer : Frenzy
3. Catcher : Sure Hands
4. Lineman : Kick
5. Catcher : Block
6. Catcher : Block

Undead: (2 mummy, 2 wights, 4 Ghouls, 5 zombies, 3 rerolls, rest in FF )

1. Ghoul : Block
2. Wight : Frenzy
3. Ghoul : Block
4. Wight : Mighty Blow or Guard (depends what races are roaming around me)
5. Mummy : Guard
6. Ghoul : Block

Orcs: (4 BOB, 4 blitzers, 1 troll, 1 Thrower, 1 goblin, 1 lineman)

1. Thrower : Block
2. Blitzer : Frenzy
3. BOB : Guard
4. BOB : Guard
5. BOB : Guard
6. Blitzer : MB / Frenzy / Tackle / Guard (depends)

Of course skill choices dont mean annything if you dont know the players' playing style. Skills only work if the player playing the team knows how to use them in his tactics. And every league / individual has a diffrent opinion in how to win games with the team. There is no straight line.

Love the Right Stuff
Nippy Longskar
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Nippy Longskar »

@Kwek

Aren't those team builds 110? The BB is 100, hence leader being such a neccesity Whats the thinking behind sure hands on the catcher- sounds unusual?

That's huge
gsot_5
Experienced
Experienced

Post by gsot_5 »

Nice post Kwek, yep this thread is all about opinions and what to expect if not take yourself.

Are you rosters 1.1 the woodies is off the top of my head. With 1 reroll in 1 mil would you push the skills back and throw an early leader in? Would change the lineup to 3 catch 1 thrower though.

Bloodbowl will be the first time I've not played with 4 catchers on the field. I'm addicted to speed. Mv9 not the drug.

I hadn't thought of this but should the second wardancer skill come before kick? After all they are the star players of the team.

Also I'd love to hear the 'big shots' opinions. Come on Geoff, Geggster, Yohann et al enlighten us!

PeteW
Super Star
Super Star

Post by PeteW »

Valen wrote:You dont block both Runners? I generally block both then guard the blitzers followed by a guard blocker
Gav - that is only cos you have trouble remembering which of the little guys with bits of paper stuck to them don;t have block.. :/

kwèk
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kwèk »

Okay, I dont have much experiences with TR 100
(and sorry for not understanding the question ... I only read the "normal skill routine") thingy :D

Lets :

Wood elves: (2 Dancers, 3 Catchers, 1 Thrower, 5 lineman, 1 reroll)

1. Thrower : Leader
2. Wardancer : Strip Ball
3. Catcher : Sure Hands
4. Wardancer : Frenzy
4. Lineman : Kick
5. Catcher : Block
6. Catcher : Block

Undead: (2 mummy, 2 wights, 3 Ghouls, 3 zombies, 2 skeletons, 3 rerolls)

1. Ghoul : Block
2. Wight : Frenzy
3. Ghoul : Block
4. Wight : Mighty Blow or Guard (depends what races are roaming around me)
5. Mummy : Guard
6. Ghoul : Block

Orcs: (4 BOB, 4 blitzers, 1 troll, 1 Thrower, 1 goblin, 1 lineman, 1 RR)

1. Thrower : Leader
2. Blitzer : Sure Hands
3. BOB : Guard
4. Blitzer : Frenzy
5. BOB : Guard
6. BOB : Guard

Something like this?
Leader is pretty obvious choice to get those desperate rerolls you want. Orcs cant have a sure hands/block thrower so I would definetly go with a surehands blitzer (to keep the ball away from strippers).
With the Woodies "I" would prefer a sure hander over a Frenzy Dancer. Of course this is a matter of opinion but the free reroll is just nice.
My Undead strategy wouldnt change at all :D

Yet again, skill choices don't matter a thing if they are not backed up by a certain strategy. (Most of the time I'm the guy whining everyones' ass off for what skills I would pick... But in the end I most of the times keep to the strategy I always have.)

For instance, I know some good coaches who love side step instead of block for wood elf catchers. And side step (no doubt) is a good skill. If I would have had 2 skills choices on the same catcher I would have gone for SS as well... BUT in the way I play woodies I still prefer Block above SS. It's just my way of playing the game.
Does this make the other coach better... I don't know, in some games SS will help him more then my block choice. But that part depends on dice and how you are used to position your players.
Since Last year I have been a big fan of Frenzy... But I know that just 2 years a go I had no Idea how to use this skill in a good way. I adjusted my gaming style... I never tell people that they "must" take frenzy... You should always say : take frenzy if you know how to play those players right. This is the same for every skill.
You can take SS if the best player in the world tells you too (and the best player never looses a game with it) ... If you dont know how to position your SSers you are going to be slaughtered. Sometimes its better to take skill choices you are used to have then things you wanna try out (you better do it in practice games) because some people tell you too :D

Oh Yeah...
A few tournaments (Dutch Open) back I had a good result : 2/2/1 with wood elves. I didnt take kick at all. (draw/loss all against woodies : 4-4 , 4-4 , 2-4). I dont think kick would have helped so much against elves annyway (unless you hope for blitzes and get them as well)
For some reason frenzy / strip dancer do the trick for me.
I'm not a woodie expert, just started playing them this year, at the moment I'm at 9/5/2 in 3 tournaments. (3 tournaments)
I lost to "frost" (Spain - played woodies) and Khitor (Germany - played dwarves) . 3 draws where against Woodies (4-4 , 5-5 , 4-4) , a draw against High elves and another one against Chaos Dwarves. All pretty close games.
1 loss was a complete dice rape, and the chaos dwarf game was also terrible for me but I still kept my draw. I guess Woodies can take a slight bad luck streak cause they only need 2 turns to make up for it. As long as they stay on the field that is ;) ... Last tournament my opponents cleared the pitch 2 times out of 6 , and I only had 1 loss ;)

Annyway, I wish you guys all the luck in the BB.

Love the Right Stuff
SillySod
Eternal Rookie
Eternal Rookie

Post by SillySod »

Nippy Longskar wrote:Leader on Thrower - essential when you only have the one RR
Strip Ball on Wardancer - Always a nice threat, if only because it cuts down your opponents ball carrier options
Kick Lineelf - Fantastic for Woodies, as noted
Sprint Catcher - For 'easy' one turners
Block Catcher - Good Allrounder
For woodies I'd say this is pretty much an idea set up. I'd avoid sprint and I might be tempted to replace kick but its pretty solid.

Victim of the Colonel's car boot smash. First person to use Glynn's bath.
Update: the Hartlepool family Glynn now has a virgin bath.

Barney is a clever dog.
Mordredd
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Mordredd »

Erm kwèk, skills are only added after each game rather than before so you only get 5 improvements. All your lists have 6...

Mordredd's Apocalypse: the Old World's premier Dwarf Magnet. :-?
Podfrey
Bum Monkey

Post by Podfrey »

PeteW wrote:Gav - that is only cos you have trouble remembering which of the little guys with bits of paper stuck to them don;t have block.. :/
Better the bits of paper than having your opponent needing to correct you when you try to use skills that are on other players..... if only you could bring the computer with you!! :wink: