Team selection for the bloodbowl

Moderators: lunchmoney, Jimjimjimany, Boneless, deeferdan, TFF Mods

TalonBay
Star Player
Star Player

Team selection for the bloodbowl

Post by TalonBay »

I'm going to the blood bowl for the first time this year, indeed, it's my first tournament ever. I usually play dark elves though they're better given a bit of time to develop so I'm not planning on taking them.

My thoughts have got as far as Necro or Skaven, having not played in a tournament before I'm curious how the rules change the strengths of the teams. For example the werewolfs are not so fragile if being killed in one game isn't carried over into the next.

I've played a bit with both teams online though not in "tournament" games, has anyone got any helpful hints on what differences I'll see in the tournament? I'm not likely to do well but I'd like to be competitive at least.

One thing that struck me was a few previous comments on the amount of fouling, I've seen tournament undead teams focused around clearing opponents from the pitch by any means and then scoring at leisure. Are these common?

Cheers,
Gary.

Reason: ''
shaniepoo
Party Boy

Post by shaniepoo »

I went to 'Resurection' and the 1st official BB tournament and dont think there was a single foul in any of the games :cry:

If a coach does deside to foul,foul, foul, then they will lose just as many players. I dont think it is as common as it sounds.

The Cutlery King - Winner of 6 Wooden spoons... and proud of each one! :D
TalonBay
Star Player
Star Player

Post by TalonBay »

That's good to hear, I've tried a more "fouly" approach in a few friendlies and I'm not that great at it, it just seems to distract me from the scoring and beating up opponents parts of the game.

Ithilkir
Legend
Legend

Post by Ithilkir »

I won most casualties last year and also got full sportsmanship, so you can have a fun bashing game :) (though fouls didn't count towards casualties)

Cheers,
Stephen :: LRB 5.0 Background Editor
Blood Bowl 2005 & 2006 :: Winner of Most Casualties
The Lore of Nuffle :: The webs biggest BB flavour archive!
MattRobson
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MattRobson »

yeah, my mate took a khemri team 2 years ago, and spent one game ripping the legs off some high elves! the ones he didnt block off the pitch he skellie fouled into the dirt. at the end his opponent didnt have a team. apparently they BOTH had a good game tho

[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,MattRobson.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.elementsgraphics.net/index.php?id=eggs][img]http://www.boomspeed.com/egraphics/a93l6.gif[/img][/url]
TalonBay
Star Player
Star Player

Post by TalonBay »

That's the sort of thing I meant, I don't mind so much getting pounded to dust playing the bashy teams (afterall you play agile teams at your peril) but constantly getting fouled on top would make for a less than interesting game. Just wondering if that's the approach required for tourny play.

I've more or less ruled out skaven now, but another dilema has presented itself in the format of Pro Elves. They seem to be offensively potent and as they don't carry injuries etc... over their lifespan is less of an issue. Has anyone got any feedback on how they do in tournies? Better than Necromantic?

Ryan
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Ryan »

Those teams that you will see fouling are generally those that lack the punch to get you out of the way.

So Beware the Halfling Hit Squad in this envoroment A Halfling Coach will be mad enough to chuck a Halfling at a poblem because he won't care if it lives or Dies

Hey Wait thats generally how i feel anyway

Strength 1 Halflings with Block will Rock your world
cluster
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cluster »

I've more or less ruled out skaven now, but another dilema has presented itself in the format of Pro Elves. They seem to be offensively potent and as they don't carry injuries etc... over their lifespan is less of an issue. Has anyone got any feedback on how they do in tournies? Better than Necromantic?[/quote]

I took pro elves last year and on paper they looked really good, but I just got whipped everytime. Even with a couple of re-rolls, they don't have dodge (even with AG4) it doesn't help and they just get beaten up big time. I just could not get them to work at all and not really sure why. I have had loads of success with woodies and thought the Pro's would not be much different but they just seem to be lacking something.

taking Ogres this year as a change, will probably get killed by a pro elf team now. lol

shaniepoo
Party Boy

Post by shaniepoo »

Take Norse!!!

They are a great Tournament team! The fact that they all have block means you can look towards other skills to improve your progress over the 2 days.

The Cutlery King - Winner of 6 Wooden spoons... and proud of each one! :D
TLAXTLAN CARNISAURS
Rookie
Rookie

Post by TLAXTLAN CARNISAURS »

well i took lizzies in 04 and did ok vamps in 05 as they were doing great in our league and they bummed rather spectacularly

this year im going for pro elf i have done alright with them in a few club tournaments and i see value in them especially with s3 catchers

we are all worms, i think i'm a glo-worm
bigallium
Experienced
Experienced

Post by bigallium »

I think the main difference between league and tourny is the development, in the fact that bashy players develop at the same rate as flashy players.
i.e. your flesh golem doesn't have to wait six games or more before he gets a skill, you can give him block at game 1!

rodders
Legend
Legend

Post by rodders »

also maybe the result in round one :wink:

Propping up the Chelmsford Bunker since 2010

NAF RTO southern UK