Organisation issues at this year's Blood Bowl

Moderators: lunchmoney, Jimjimjimany, Boneless, deeferdan, TFF Mods

Dave
Info Ed

Post by Dave »

that's where we were for on sunday morning .. and where were you ?? :lol: :wink:

Reason: ''
Ithilkir
Legend
Legend

Post by Ithilkir »

Heheheh.. I still remember saying to Grumbledook as we left the hotel on Sunday morning and seen Longfangs car still there "Think we should knock on there door?"

Cheers,
Stephen :: LRB 5.0 Background Editor
Blood Bowl 2005 & 2006 :: Winner of Most Casualties
The Lore of Nuffle :: The webs biggest BB flavour archive!
Indigo
Not Grumpy in the slightest

Post by Indigo »

dread to think what might have happened if you had... :)

longfang
Legendz Bedo Legend

Post by longfang »

Now you can ask any tourny organiser about how organised, ontime and good at writing on bits of paper I am. NOT!
But I roomied with EL Vice Presidenty, then Naf tourny organiser/santioner/keeper of dice/ogre. He didn't know. How the Duck do you expect me to be there on time! :roll:

[size=75]Del. [color=red]Tramp Champ. Media Tart.[/color][/size]

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14334#t=14334]Hall of Famer[/url]
Indigo

Post by Indigo »

would anyone have any objections if I used these comments, anonymously, as part of an article for House Rulez? PM me if you do and I won't include anything you've said.

traveller
Da Konstruktor

Post by traveller »

no prob with this !

BTW... Indigo, do you knew when GW will ship the coins ?

Traveller

Indigo

Post by Indigo »

last I heard the coins had been cast, and they were organising shipping. However, I think the guy in charge of that has had something come up that may delay that a bit, I'm not sure.

my own personal guess will be another month, but that is precisely that... just a guess I'm afraid.

Ithilkir
Legend
Legend

Post by Ithilkir »

Indigo wrote:would anyone have any objections if I used these comments, anonymously, as part of an article for House Rulez? PM me if you do and I won't include anything you've said.
no objections 'ere

Cheers,
Stephen :: LRB 5.0 Background Editor
Blood Bowl 2005 & 2006 :: Winner of Most Casualties
The Lore of Nuffle :: The webs biggest BB flavour archive!
McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

Indigo wrote:last I heard the coins had been cast, and they were organising shipping. However, I think the guy in charge of that has had something come up that may delay that a bit, I'm not sure.

my own personal guess will be another month, but that is precisely that... just a guess I'm afraid.
he's probably completely finished digging up his back garden and had found he's still 50 short

McDeth,
"Can't Sleep Clowns will eat me"

"Who's that Reverend Green??"
Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

Longish post coming up. Apologies in advance...

I've been to lots of tournaments at GWHQ including the Bloodbowl 2003.

On the whole the general organisation has been good over the years (food, bar etc.) particularly in recent times after the organisers took on board feedback from the punters.

I didn't make it to BB 2004 but what I have seen of the system used, there was one outstanding problem with the rules set:

Sportsmanship :evil:

Sportsmanship scoring just isn't needed in Bloodbowl just as it isn't needed in chess or draughts or snakes and ladders! There are virtually no ambiguities in BB and scarcely ever is there more than one way to interpret the rules.

If it was to be included it certainly wouldnt need to be so richly rewarded as it was at BB2004 (5 points per vote? correct me if I'm wrong...)

Its a hangover from Warhammer / 40k tournies where sportsmanship is needed because of the inherently woolly nature of the rules and the wide range of interpretations possible (not to mention the disputes that can arise when measuring distances or 45 degree angles etc. etc.).

So IMO if there was to be one change to the rules for 2005 it should be to scrap or significantly marginalise sportsmanship scoring.

As a second point, it might also be worth looking at the gameplay scoring.

At BB2004 the difference between a win by 1TD and a win by 2TDs (13 vs 17 = 4 points diff) was greater than the difference between a draw and a win by 1TD (10 vs 13 = 3 points diff). In short, the win in its own right was not rewarded enough. Winning is after all what its all about. There should be bonuses for scoring lots of TDs / casualties but I think there is too much emphasis on "winning big" in this system.

As I understand it the whole BB2004 scoring system developed from the organisers trying to shoehorn the BB system into the WFB/40K spreadsheet to save the work of creating a new one :roll:

So just to reiterate, the gameplay scoring is a pain which I'd like to see changed but could tolerate at a push.

The sportsmanship farce, however, has to be changed!

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
Indigo

Post by Indigo »

You've clearly been thinking about those comments for a while, from June to November ;)

dwarfcoach
The Best Dressed Man in Blood Bowl
Location: That odd twilight that exists 'cause you have only had 3.5 hours sleep

Post by dwarfcoach »

Indigo wrote:You've clearly been thinking about those comments for a while, from June to November ;)
They do seem to make quite alot of sense as well... :wink:

*Mr. T pities the fool. Chuck Norris rips the fool's head off. *
Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

:D ah, whoops didnt see last post was June! :oops:

so i guess its too late to influence the organisers........

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
Indigo

Post by Indigo »

Not yet, I don't think it's anything more than a note on the wall chart at GW yet :)

Emberbreeze
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Emberbreeze »

although given GW time scales they have probably produced the ticket and rules already :wink:

did any of these comments make it to GW events?

[size=150][color=#FF3333][b]Hag Graef Dragons[/b][/color][/size] [size=117]1st UK :wink: NAF Dark Elf Coach[/size]
[size=150][color=#FF3333][b]Silvania Suckers[/b][/color][/size] [size=117]Most experienced :wink: NAF Vampire Coach[/size]