Organisation issues at this year's Blood Bowl

Moderators: lunchmoney, Jimjimjimany, Boneless, deeferdan, TFF Mods

traveller
Da Konstruktor

Post by traveller »

to spend in average 10h per mini for a piece of paper (<= if you see what I mean )
Yep, i do ... i spent a lot of time to finish my homemade dugout in time, but i dont think, someone of the GW people even saw it :roll: And I dont think, most of those guys even see the conversion effort at BB minis. :wink:

BTW .... Great painted minis, Kool !!!

Traveller

Reason: ''
Valen
Walking on the beaches...

Post by Valen »

I agree with most posts here, but my main grudges were.

1) No space

2) Bugmans shut to early

3) Terrible prizes (not that i won one :D , but I expected a little more from the place where the game is made)

4) Bugmans shut to early (worth stating twice)

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!
Horus
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Horus »

Hmm, I think it wasn't wrong to be critical about the BB-Weekend. Sure it is easier the read positive things about the tournament. But if there are things that didn't fit it is just straight to name them. I am a big fan of the whole Bloodbowl-Philosophie and that's the reason why I use the forum to discuss the things i was disappointed.

If I was too rough, I am sorry, but I love this game too much to be diplomatic.

Greetings
Otto aka Horus aka #4

Old_Man_Monkey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Old_Man_Monkey »

Sorry, Torg -

Tampa to Nottingham: 4359 miles
Edmonton to Nottingham: 4134 miles
Calgary to Nottingham: 4280 miles

If someone from Vancouver was there, then I think they might have a case... :D :wink: But seriously this is not the first time I've heard someone mention it - it was a complete shock to me - and I'll gladly surrender the award to another far traveller..! :D

-OMM

Speak TRUTH to power.
Ithilkir
Legend
Legend

Post by Ithilkir »

As regards to Bugmans shutting early on Sunday, chances are it was because of the license, unless any of you have been to Bugmans after 6pm on a Sunday before then it's likely they don't have a license that extends till that late.

Cheers,
Stephen :: LRB 5.0 Background Editor
Blood Bowl 2005 & 2006 :: Winner of Most Casualties
The Lore of Nuffle :: The webs biggest BB flavour archive!
Dark_Soul
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Dark_Soul »

Nothing more to add really, I agree with most, if not all the comments already posted.

Darkson's parallel universe counterpart
Stikki
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Stikki »

1: I liked the tournament as a whole. I easily finished all my matches within time but I don't think trying to get players to do anything in the five minutes before-hand was a good idea - save all the admin till the end of the match.

2: Space was a little limited, but only because I needed my rulebook out. Next year, I'll have learnt it all! Some people will just use any amount of space you give them.

3: Food was good, but as a vegetarian, I did slightly resent having lunchtime's sausages for tea as well on the Saturday!

4: As for prizes, I'm not likely to win any so I don't really care, but do people really want teams as prizes - haven't you got them all already? A special miniature would be nice though - something to show that GW really cares. For everyone else, I think the coin is fine (or will be when it turns up) because all I really want is something to remind me I was there.

5: Scoring and results is the only area I think was a mess - mostly because of the poor game/great opponent issue. I liked the increase in points for a better win, though it is sometimes really hard to kick a nice opponent when he's down, just to get a few extra points! But the other stuff was a bit pointless (the team history for example).

6: Bugman's should definitely be free for players as long as possible on Friday night - BloodBowl is all about getting in practice games while you're drunk!

7: And I really like the idea of a proper pub quiz!

boondog
Star Player
Star Player

Technically, I shouldn't post this, but

Post by boondog »

This is one of the most enlightening threads I've read on this board.
I couldn't afford to attend the BB and I was beating myself up over it, but all these posts changed my mind somewhat. Not one of the "private" tourneys I've attended so far had people complaing over the things mentioned. Thanks for all this valuable info, you've made me feel better; I will hang onto my money and spend it on events like the Dutch open (or similar) in the future!

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

i was too drunk to notice and shame on all those who weren't

dwarfcoach
The Best Dressed Man in Blood Bowl
Location: That odd twilight that exists 'cause you have only had 3.5 hours sleep

Re: Technically, I shouldn't post this, but

Post by dwarfcoach »

boondog wrote:This is one of the most enlightening threads I've read on this board.
I couldn't afford to attend the BB and I was beating myself up over it, but all these posts changed my mind somewhat. Not one of the "private" tourneys I've attended so far had people complaing over the things mentioned. Thanks for all this valuable info, you've made me feel better; I will hang onto my money and spend it on events like the Dutch open (or similar) in the future!
Not to knock your post mate, but I think you will find that the only reason people have had any negative comments is because the event was run by GW. Big company, expectations were high.
I have had some minor problems and / or quibbles along the lines of items posted in this thread in most tourneys that I have been to :o :o .

Please don't start to try and kill me, I'm just being a bit honest....

I would never, ever mention it in a negative way because it was guys who love blood bowl making tons of effort to play our great game!! WUHOO!!! :D :D :D :D :D
I do think that it could have been run with a little more planning, maybe consultation with others who have run BB tourneys (the scoring system comes to mind). I also think that Bugmans comedians could possibly have been organized for a different night. Why am I saying this? Well because it is Games Workshop who ran it and they should be the best. :-?

Doesn't mean similar things haven't happened elsewhere, just means that I'm far happier slagging off.... suggesting alterations ( :roll: ) to a big company rather than to individuals. Weird? Nah.... :P

Overall I had a great time, loved every one of my six games (of which I only lost one and that was to the guy who was the Warhammer World Champion!). It was a fantastic social gathering, I met loads of old mates and guys from tourneys. Drinking in Bugmans is always cool, and the Cookie Club on Friday / Rock City on Saturday were great fun as well.

All in all good stuff and definately worth a trip!!

*Mr. T pities the fool. Chuck Norris rips the fool's head off. *
Dave
Info Ed

Post by Dave »

I agree there ..

The event as a whole was BIG FUN and definately worth going to ..

The points brought up here by me and others are better seen as advice that, if used, will make the tournament perfect ..

be there next year !

Valen
Walking on the beaches...

Post by Valen »

Agreed

I will be there too next year

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!
Dark_Soul
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Dark_Soul »

Yep, for all the mistake/niggles, it's still The Blood Bowl and as long as the PBBL rules aren't in force next year, I'll be back to.

Darkson's parallel universe counterpart
Ithilkir
Legend
Legend

Post by Ithilkir »

Dark_Soul wrote:Yep, for all the mistake/niggles, it's still The Blood Bowl and as long as the PBBL rules aren't in force next year, I'll be back to.
Well PBBL isn't scheduled until the 2005 rules review I think.

Cheers,
Stephen :: LRB 5.0 Background Editor
Blood Bowl 2005 & 2006 :: Winner of Most Casualties
The Lore of Nuffle :: The webs biggest BB flavour archive!
longfang
Legendz Bedo Legend

Post by longfang »

Who cares about the tournement (ya bunch of squares). You should go for the social.

[size=75]Del. [color=red]Tramp Champ. Media Tart.[/color][/size]

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14334#t=14334]Hall of Famer[/url]