Timing..the 2 hour limit.

Moderators: lunchmoney, Jimjimjimany, Boneless, deeferdan, TFF Mods

firebreather
Champion Muppet

Post by firebreather »

Dangerous Dave wrote: Oh and Dan had to have a piss too.... :wink:
Shouldn`t be allowed that, while i was playing Anacalogon game 6 we witnessed one guy complaining to the ref that his opponent (Luke, ECBBL i think) had taken a toilet break :o

Reason: ''
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Tim wrote:i would have prefered a 120+30 min. match time (with the 30 min. eating away from your 45 min. break) to have games going a little easier. Actually the whole length of the event would have been identical, maybe 30 min. more on the sunday.
:o Isn't that the 45mins to get the draw ready for the next round... so your game eating into it impacts the start time of the next round rather than "your break"

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
juergen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by juergen »

hmmmm why wasn't the final cut down to 2 hours? :lol:

Juergen

Creator of Elfball.org - the Elfball website officialy approved by Impact Miniatures
Blitzwing
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Blitzwing »

ianwilliams wrote:Luke and I had a 15 minute break during game 6 to watch a bit of the final (we saw Mordredds 1st TD) and still finished before most other tables.
Only because I had no players left! :oops:

Indigo
Not Grumpy in the slightest

Post by Indigo »

Reposted from other thread:

lol calm down I'm not attacking you at all. I deliberatley used smileys to show I wasn't on a major offensive...

I used selective parts of your comments of your post MAINLY to save space. I also didn't want to get into another argument about who the scoring system served best (although interestingly neither one of the finalists was a fast team... :wink: ).

Most tourneys enforce 2 hours. Mine did, because I simply couldn't have any longer. The general consensus was 2 hours was enough so that is what I went with and I still think that it's more than enough time to play a game, generally speaking.

Fair enough, I admit my comment about "you don't like it, don't play" was not the most tactful but at the end of the day the time limit was well known and if you know you play a little slower then you should probably have made an effort to play faster! I'm not at all saying, or implying, your doing anything BUT making constructive criticism.

In an ideal world every tourney would have enough space to allow each game to finish normally but that isn't the case. The reality is, or seems to be, 2 hours is the norm and sadly if a players style results in longer games then that's NOT the fault of the tourney! ANY tourney, not just a GW one! :D

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

In fairness, I had one really slow guy. Nice bloke, but slow. I found myself playing 'speed bowl' to compensate, not really a problem.

The only game that was stopped was my first game against Anke, but we did get going late. (While everybody else was sat down with their teams ready I was hauled up on stage just as I was about to get a table number!). Even so we would probably have been fine if we hadn't dived into Bugmans for a fag break (and a bottle of Bud! Forgot who bought it, but thanks! :) ) at H-T; so really only ourselves to blame. We handed in the results sheets at that point and kept on playing (Anke still had an outside chance of a draw) but they still asked us to finish because the hall needed to be clear to judge the painting. We just kept going until Anke had a turn left with nobody in scoring range.

Jake and Brian made the very valid point that if everybody was expected to finish within 2 hrs, it was unfair on those who rushed through to get it done if you were to allow some others to have an extension.
It's a tricky situation, in an ideal world you'd allow extra time per blitz result on the KO table for example, but that would be impossible to police.
Another slight concern for me was the possibility of unscrupulous people deliberating 'hanging it out' whilst leading or trying to hold out for a draw or a minor loss, but I really don't see what could be done about that either.
At the end of the day the rulespack stated 2 hours, and it has to be up to the players to self-regulate. If one of you needs a toilet break or something then you need to compensate for it.

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Tim
Da Tulip Champ II

Post by Tim »

ianwilliams wrote::o Isn't that the 45mins to get the draw ready for the next round... so your game eating into it impacts the start time of the next round rather than "your break"
No, if you enter the results as they come in, i need a maximum 10 min. with my Excel Sheet to enter the last results, sort out the pairings that already played, print the new pairings and put them up.

Interestingly, at Dungeon Bowl they had time for 2:30 games (using my Excel as well :wink: ).

"In NUFFLE we trust!" - Retired Inquisitor of Nuffle.
Father of the Halfling Scribe
Admin of the Kurpfalz Cup
Tim
Da Tulip Champ II

Post by Tim »

While 2h is usually enough for a BB game (and actually i managed to finish 5 of my games in time), i enjoy a 2:30 game more, just because i feel less pressured and might take a quick break during halftime. I'll probably still finish in 2h or 2:05 or even shorter if the game has lots of casulties (1:20 vs. Longshot at EuroBowl) or a riot and then enjoy the longer break. But on the other hand it's a shame when tense games (like the awesome, nerve-wracking all-Norse battle against Hál at Dungeonbowl: 7 players with frenzy and 4 guards next to the sideline with every action being one step away from losing 4 players to the crowd for either side) get stopped or hurried just because of a few minutes delay.

Again, i'm not critizising this year's event, it was clear how they handled it and they stuck to it well. I just say, i'd like to have a little more time next year ;)

Indigo
Not Grumpy in the slightest

Post by Indigo »

Sadly, despite my advice to use either yours or Ian's tools, they used last years. Hence delays and the sportsmanhip issue... :-?

One comment I made to someone on the day was that if Brian called time, and then your opponent tried to play on and scored you're well within your rights to call a ref over to get the TD annulled. So if you play on over the time limit, assuming no-one wants to lose because of it, you don't actually get anything out of it anyway.

Valen
Walking on the beaches...

Post by Valen »

I had no problems whatsoever for the time, I very rarely take more than 1 and half hours for a game, as Redfang said, iI play quick.

My last game only took about 35 mins, and that was 6-2, and no casulaties or riots or pitch invasions, so no reason for it to be that quick.

In conclusion I think 2 hours is more than enough

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!
Tim
Da Tulip Champ II

Post by Tim »

Valen wrote:My last game only took about 35 mins, and that was 6-2, and no casulaties or riots or pitch invasions, so no reason for it to be that quick.
Come on that can't be true. That's 1 min. per turn and 3 min's left for 8 setups and kicks. 1:35 maybe ;)

Valen
Walking on the beaches...

Post by Valen »

We need witnesses, Ian, you were in the bar when me and Jay walked in, you were having a fag break, and that was after we had packed up and had a chat to evil_git

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!
Slinky78
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Slinky78 »

My game against Firebreather in London didn't last longer than 40 minutes, so it's possible. Frightening when you see it the first time though - but great for getting into the bar early... Myself and Evil Git managed a 35 minuter on the Saturday night, but both using elves and having had about 10 pints each may have been a contributing factor.
Didn't personally have a problem with 2 hours. Except for the game against Geggster which finished pretty much on the whistle - but that was exceptionally intricate and mind numbingly tough. I used to be very slow (pushing the time limit of all tournament games), but have managed to learn to play quicker, and imo it's easier to play quicker throughout than suffer that pressure of having 4 turns left and hear the 10 minute warning and then feel the need to zip through.
Personally happy enough with 2 hours.

juck101
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by juck101 »

i found it ok to play in the time, and in my league i am by far the slowest.
But 2hr did result in me ticking some boxs and not bothering to read the teams fluff. Bit of a shame bet some would be worth a look, but rather play than study the shading on the figures

...the pope said to his aid...
dwarfcoach
The Best Dressed Man in Blood Bowl
Location: That odd twilight that exists 'cause you have only had 3.5 hours sleep

Post by dwarfcoach »

I think 2 hours is the way to go. I only pushed the time limit once. It was on my only draw of the tourney and MAN was it a close game :D . Third game on the first day went right to the final minute, but neither of us could budge it either way. I was very please that the game could not go further. (Not mentioning the night before, getting completely caned and ending up in the Cookie Club! :roll: )

It brings back the olden days of the poly-pitch when there was no time limit! :o You just kept playing. I almost commited murder (no, I seriously did) over that more than once, me and my brother playing an agonizing 3 and a half hour game of Gobbos vrs Halflings.... Horrible!

BB is not a 'who can concentrate for the longest' match, it is a game. A challanging game yes, but something that is meant to be ejoyed in a competitive way. 2 hours does suits the bill!!

*Mr. T pities the fool. Chuck Norris rips the fool's head off. *