Advice and tips for a BB newbie.

Moderators: lunchmoney, Jimjimjimany, Boneless, deeferdan, TFF Mods

squig87
Veteran
Veteran

Advice and tips for a BB newbie.

Post by squig87 »

Hi, I'm attending the 2004 bloodbowl in Nottingham. I've played for a few years but have never atteneded a tourny. I just wanna get some advice from the tourny regulars and anything I should look out for. A list of Do's and Don'ts would be helpful.

How competative does it get? Do many badsportsmen go? etc...

Thanks

Squig

Reason: ''
Berrrlitz!!!
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

1: Drink Beer (or whatever alcohol you like) in Bugman's
2: Drink Beer (or whatever alcohol you like) out of Bugman's
3: Play BB.
4: Drink
5: Play BB
6: Etc.... :lol:

Seriously, most "friendly" tourney players don't pay the IP rules, and don't use timers to enforce the 4 min rule. As long as you know your rules, and don't try anything beardy, you'll be fine. Just remember, we're all there to have fun.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

don't take a stop watch

JJB
Honorary Asmodan

Post by JJB »

1- remember that you should play fast
2- think before moving players/figures on the pitch: theoretically, your opponent is perfectly entitled to refuse to let you move players back to their original position in case you made a mistake
3- remember that injuries do not carry over, i.e. SIs and deaths are treated as BH. Therefore, while drawing out your roster for the tournament, don't think in terms of long-term survival, but rather in terms of winning matches from the very first one you play (= more positional players, less ff).
4- together with (3-), remember that you won't win any money. Therefore, ff is not as important as in a league and use the money that you would have otherwise invested in ff to get more rerolls and/or positional players.
5- if you tend to make mistakes (IPs, etc.) be kind to your opponent (unless it is obvious to you that he (or she...) is a complete bastard and will ignore your kindness) or he will treat you in the same way as you did...
On the other hand, if you never make mistakes, then f@ck the sportsmanship score and don't let a single mistake your opponent may do escape your eagle eye, and penalise him for each and everyone of them! :lol:

Hangus
Scotland's Saviour

Post by Hangus »

6. all the above and enjoy yourself and have a laugh

Down with this sort of thing....
Careful now.....

Where's my hat?
hoomin_erra
Leek chewing thread Necromancer

Post by hoomin_erra »

Hangus wrote:6. all the above and enjoy yourself and have a laugh
And play gobbo's at beachbowl

A weirdo in a Bowler hat and a Kilt!!!!!
[url=http://www.createforum.com/teamscotlandbb/index.php?mforum=teamscotlandbb/]Scotland's BB Forum[/url]

Lucifer is Broken!!!!
Hangus
Scotland's Saviour

Post by Hangus »

more like do not use khemri in beach bowl :oops:

Down with this sort of thing....
Careful now.....

Where's my hat?
JJB
Honorary Asmodan

Post by JJB »

Gentlemen, let's not confuse squig87 by mentioning Beach BB... :)

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

I'm bringing my Beach BB pitch...and sufficient figs to play Goblins, Skaven or Dwarfs.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
Colin
Legend
Legend

Post by Colin »

Hey, what about a streetbowl tourney friday night?

GO STAMPEDERS!
Slinky78
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Slinky78 »

Bring painkillers, because you'll end up getting hammered on the night and being in that hall with little tangible airflow and high roof lighting will give you a monumental headache - plus you'll be surrounded by a pack of people who've been out all night and probably not had a shower/fallen in the canal, so numbing the senses is good.
Even on the Saturday I had a headache without the drink, something about that lighting/room seems to do that to a lot of people.
Don't worry too much about the results. First tournament you'll be conscious of it, but a) you'll feel a bit nervous first game with all these people who look like they know what they're doing b) with 200 people you need to be good and lucky to feature in the high placings, so just aim to enjoy it and hopefully not come last...

Tomba
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Tomba »

Last year's Blood Bowl was my first Blood Bowl Tournament, so here's what I remember about it in relation to my expectations beforehand:

I expected the majority of the people attending to be powergaming geeks with no social skills and too much BO. I was very wrong.

Over the course of the two days I met loads of people I could very much relate to, only one or two (out of 20+) of the people I encountered were 'geeky' (a very subjective personal definition and judgement).

Games were mostly competitive but fair, and I saw no examples of what I would consider powergaming or unfair rules justification [disclaimer: I was playing at the lower tables (I finished last! :( ) and heard of some 'questionable' rules interpretations from friends on higher tables but this was very much the exception and not the norm].

I would estimate that the typical age of last year's attendees would be somewhere between 20-35, certainly the *vast* majority of the people I met were in this age range (including me), whereas I had expected to be playing mainly teenagers. If you have not realised already (I played BB for nine years before realising this) the BB audience is much older and more mature than for most GW games, and vertaibly for the 'big three'.

The typical person I met I would sincerely describe in my native dialect as 'canny' (meaning 'nice', not 'cunning'). I would be more than hapopy to meet any of them again, to go for a drink with them: they were nice people!

Out of all the people I met last year (and this was the biggest shock) this is the number of people I met with BO/hygiene problems: none. :o Maybe I got lucky, maybe I lost my sense if smell, but it's something I am usually very aware of at other tournaments/conventions and I was staggered at this discovery- the first gaming event I have ever attended (and I've been to loads of different things over the years) where I've had this experience.

Overall, did I enjoy myself?

I'll be there on Friday- see you there? :D

Tom

l_dauguet
Legend
Legend

Post by l_dauguet »

I'll bring my StreetBowl pitch. Redfang and Grotemuis might do as well. :)

Next time I win !!!
hoomin_erra
Leek chewing thread Necromancer

Post by hoomin_erra »

l_dauguet wrote:I'll bring my StreetBowl pitch. Redfang and Grotemuis might do as well. :)
Cool, i'll bring my gobbo's to give hangus's khemri a rematch

A weirdo in a Bowler hat and a Kilt!!!!!
[url=http://www.createforum.com/teamscotlandbb/index.php?mforum=teamscotlandbb/]Scotland's BB Forum[/url]

Lucifer is Broken!!!!
traveller
Da Konstruktor

Post by traveller »

I'll bring my StreetBowl pitch. Redfang and Grotemuis might do as well.
So i dont have to bring my SBP ? :roll: :wink:

Traveller