Side Competitions - sort of.

Moderators: lunchmoney, Jimjimjimany, Boneless, deeferdan, TFF Mods

carlbrown
Rookie
Rookie

Side Competitions - sort of.

Post by carlbrown »

Okay this may be a bit 'left field' but it's something that I thought of when driving home from the office.

Seeing as the rules set for this years BB doesn't look to make much of an issue of 'most casualties' how about running a few side competitions?

My original idea was:

<engage fluff mode>

Da Orcidaz Mean Green Fightin' Machine Award

<disengage fluff mode>

All the Orc teams (and gobbo teams if they think they're hard enough) register for the award and pay £2 to the Pot (held by an agreed Organiser). At the end of the tournament whoever has scored the most casualties gets the pot (split if tied).

When I thought a bit more about it we could make an overall Spike Magazine 'Kings of Carnage' Award open to any race but essentially the same thing. Everybody pays something into the pot and the winner at the end gets the cash.

We could do one for Touchdowns too.

I think is could add an extra bit of spice to the proceedings - and seeing as it's voluntary to enter I can't imagine it should hurt anyone's feelings. (Except for the opponents of those taking part. Round six could get bloody when it's time to rack up those extra kills/TDs to try and grab the prize).

It makes it worth going for something too if you're essentially out of the running of the main event.

What do you guys think?

Reason: ''
Kruel 'No Mor Mista Nice Orc' Kharlle
'Ed Koach, Da Deff Skwadd
Most Sporting Coach BB 2503
Beaten by halfings BB 2504 :oops:
l_dauguet
Legend
Legend

Post by l_dauguet »

I think wining money with BB is a bad idea.

Next time I win !!!
Levinas
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Levinas »

I was thinking of something similar but for halfling teams, running a side league if there are enough coaches fielding the little guys, rules to be decided...

I'm also not so sure about cash prizes but a cup, a really rubbish cheap cup, might be a good thing. If you do go with the greenskin carnage cup idea I might well be tempted, it sounds like fun to me.

carlbrown
Rookie
Rookie

Post by carlbrown »

l_dauguet wrote:I think wining money with BB is a bad idea.
I know where you're coming from with that - it could potentially make a game a very serious business for some people.

Personally I don't have a problem with it - they've got plenty of semi-pro players in the Magic community who make a fair bit of cash at it.

I think it comes down to each individuals attitude when money is on the line - I'll admit some people would lose their 'it's just a game' perspective.

Levinas - cool idea about the cup, I'll look into how much it'd cost to get one sorted out. I guess I could even make it with a GW mini on a stand with a commemorative plaque if a 'real cup' was too expensive.

I still think a side comp. for cash amongst like minded individuals wouldn't be a problem, small sums only - maybe it would have to be done cloak n dagger style ;)

Slinky78
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Slinky78 »

Good idea I think. Understand the qualms about money etc. but it's not much more than a sweepstake really, and with Naf rankings at stake I'd rather win my game 6 than risk it for the sake of casualties, that and I don't stand a chance of winning any cup no matter how many we devise :(
Given the dubious rule-set it might be good to see that some light-hearted fun could be had, and that bloodbowlers can handle a more mature and diverse type of competition than being spoonfed 40k GT rules.

Might I suggest the 'Bugman's Tankard' awarded to the coach who consumes the highest quantity of ale during his matches...

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Levinas wrote:I'm also not so sure about cash prizes but a cup, a really rubbish cheap cup, might be a good thing. If you do go with the greenskin carnage cup idea I might well be tempted, it sounds like fun to me.
The problem with a cup is that you have to buy it beforehand - and if you don't know how many coaches are participating that makes it difficult.

Otherwise I think this is a good idea - add a little fun for those coaches out of contention for the main prizes.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
carlbrown
Rookie
Rookie

Post by carlbrown »

ianwilliams wrote:The problem with a cup is that you have to buy it beforehand - and if you don't know how many coaches are participating that makes it difficult.
Yea - this is why I'm looking at the option of making a little trophy too.

I imagine I can put a wooden based, 'Gold Effect' painted miniature, along with an inscribed plaque for less than £10 - I reckon I could put that up for grabs (a donation to BB history as it were).

It's true that it would be fun to have something available for the 'non speed' teams because it really looks like a straight Welf vs Skav TD race for the BB. (I imagine the system was created to promote scoring rather than stalling at the endzone - daft if you ask me but I understand the intention).

I was working out the numbers on the win points available - I'm guessing you're going to need to make 100'ish points from your games to be in contention. Tough for the average MV 5 teams.

Odium Khan
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Odium Khan »

Hooray! Maybe I'll bring the Khemri after all. They would qualify for the competition, since they're green from, ehm, desert-thriving moss and lichen.

DOUBT - Formerly Europe's northernmost Blood Bowl tournament.
BUBBLE - Umeå's premiere Blood Bowl league.
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

How about doing something like chuck in enough cash each to buy one of those forgeworld Bugman's busts that you can only get there or something? An engraved bit of brass to stick on it and voila! Sorted.

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
l_dauguet
Legend
Legend

Post by l_dauguet »

soubs good to me. I'm in with my...dark elves :lol: Do casualties on fouling count ?

Next time I win !!!
Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

well, here is what i propose:

Anyone want a game with me, ok
I win, you pay me a beer,
you win, i pay you a beer

Draw: I pay you a beer AND you pay me a beer .

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
neoliminal
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: Side Competitions - sort of.

Post by neoliminal »

carlbrown wrote: <engage fluff mode>

Da Orcidaz Mean Green Fightin' Machine Award

<disengage fluff mode>
My orcs are blue.

[b]NAF Founder[/b]
Tim
Da Tulip Champ II

Post by Tim »

Longshot wrote:well, here is what i propose:

Anyone want a game with me, ok
I win, you pay me a beer,
you win, i pay you a beer

Draw: I pay you a beer AND you pay me a beer .
That sounds promising ... although 1 beer per 1:30h game is a bit low rated, can we break it down to halfs? (also enhances the chance of a draw) :wink:

"In NUFFLE we trust!" - Retired Inquisitor of Nuffle.
Father of the Halfling Scribe
Admin of the Kurpfalz Cup
Odium Khan
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Odium Khan »

You could just play BB 7's. :)

DOUBT - Formerly Europe's northernmost Blood Bowl tournament.
BUBBLE - Umeå's premiere Blood Bowl league.
Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

I never said that i will not drink during the games ^^ :D

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/