Amsterdam BB Invitational

Contains old topics long since discussed. Now here purely for reading, not for posting to.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Norse wrote: If we do play your way, I'm fielding undead with 4 wights, 4 ghouls, 2 mummies and 1 who cares!
...and I'd target those 4 Ghouls mercilessly. :evil: They may well be back next game, but who cares? You wouldn't be playing me! :wink:

I did toy with taking a Ghoul to Res, but he was just too vulnerable in playtesting, particularly against Longfang's Dwarves (Damn Tackle!).
I'd go with 4W, 2M, 3Z, 3S, 3RR, FF5. In fact I may do yet....... :wink:

Reason: ''
Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

Allow me to opine on the subject of losing skills for hurt players...

BAD, BAD IDEA :)

Ok! Why is it a bad idea? Because it encourages vindictive play.

Assume I have a Blitzer with Tackle. You get this player out of the game with some kind of casualty. I have no way to bring the player back.

Do you somehow "lose out" if I can still use Tackle next game? No.

Do you somehow "lose out" once the player is out for this game? No.

If you and I are playing, we should be concerned with a one-off game with one-off rules. If your DP goes out of the game - great for me! I couldn't - and shouldn't - care whether you can use him next game.

My two cents.

-Chet

Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

Sorry - forgot to add a scenario.

Coach A: "Well, I'm losing this game, and I'm getting thoroughly outclassed doing it. I have no chance to win - but you know, I'd get some measure of satisfaction if I made that Wardancer lose Tackle!"

So Coach A fouls like a moron for the rest of the game trying to injure the tackling Wardancer.

Bad idea.

-Chet

Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

Do I sense a little bitterness Chet? Has such a scenario befallen you in the past? :roll:

OK, there's a long way to go to tweak rules and stuff, but it will all be academic if no-one comes!! Frankly, I don't care what rules we use as long as we have 12 competitors (and as long as Lucy's beardy friends don't have to make up the numbers....) :lol:

So, in the words of Axl, where do we go now? :?:

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Princelucianus
Legend
Legend

Post by Princelucianus »

Al right, it's obvious, we'll never get out of this. Disagreeing is one of humans best qualities.

So, I want to propose a certain randomness and certain equalizers.

Random: FF and winnings, which can be spent during the entire tournament.
Equalizer: You may distribute one skill after round one, two after round two etc.

Play: (16 person idea)
Random first round. Winners will become pouleleader, (as in world cup draws).
Then build 4 poules of 4 teams.
Play two games, look who becomes 1st, 2nd etc.
play semi's, also for teams who reached 5-8 place and those who were 9-12 place.
Play finals.
These finals will decide who become's 1-12th.

Lucy
:smoking:

RCN: Keeper of the sacred dice
Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

Coach A: "Well, I'm losing this game, and I'm getting thoroughly outclassed doing it. I have no chance to win - but you know, I'd get some measure of satisfaction if I made that Wardancer lose Tackle!

I've been in that situation. Geoff Porritt did exactly that to me at the last WPS tournament. We ended up with quite a crowd around us cheering on the destruction of my team. He ended up scoring 3 casualties in the last turn.

Do I therefore think this is a useless rule? No, I don't actually. I've played under that rule twice and I think it brings a nice element of balance to the competition.

That was a one-off instance, I thought it was very appropriate for the way Geoff had been playing his team, it was very much in character and, despite the absolute butchery of my team, I thought it was all pretty funny.

So what happened? My skaven team got hurt. Skaven teams get hurt. My Skaven team also got lots of skills because they scored like things possessed. Skaven teams score like things possessed. All that considered when I sat down to play Rob's undead on the second day we had roughly equal teams.

Bottom line is if you think the other player is being a vindictive muppet and trying to maul your team out of spite, mark him down on sportsmanship and then give him the caning in points he so obviously deserves. If you think he's particularly offensive, don't invite him to your matches. Doesn't make a great deal of difference when it comes to handing out the trophies.

Marcus

GenoNBBL
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by GenoNBBL »

Hi guys,

I know i'm new to the board and don't know many of you as well as you all do but I'd love to come! I've been to the Dam once for my 20th B'day and loved it.

I have a holiday in June (I think, I'll check when I get home) so I could make July. If Voyagers_UK is going that'd be great because he lives 20mins away from me and I could travel with him :) I'll ask my league guys and see if anyone else is interested, but I have a few questions....

1) What date(s) will it be?
2) Is there an entry fee?
3) How many spaces are left? If any.
4) Have you found any local accomodation yet?

Thanks!

Princelucianus
Legend
Legend

Post by Princelucianus »

1- The playing dates are 20 & 21 of july
2- There will probably not be an entrance fee, becuase we're trying to get a pub as accomodation. If all else fails, we might have an entrance fee, we'll keep you posted
3- If I've calculated correctly (probably not) there are round about 10 places left
4- When enough people want us to research cheap accomodations, we'll work on that one. So when we know how many people want this, we'll work on it.

Lucy
:smoking:

Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

Do I sense a little bitterness Chet? Has such a scenario befallen you in the past?

Me? Heck, no. When it comes to battering, I am the ram. Doesn't matter what race I'm playing, either :)

Marcus - It sounds as if we're discussing apples and oranges. You seem to imply that you could simply get enough skills on SPPs to negate the "injury = skill loss" equation. I'm talking strictly about a scenario in which coaches are given a set number of skills per round, as per Resurrection.

Under such a scenario, I don't consider the injury rule fair at all. Tournament coachs in such a format are supposed to play their opponents on equal terms. "Equal terms," to me, encompasses two features in such a tournament:

1. Rookie teams (100TR)
2. An equal number of gained skills per coach per round played

Anything that disrupts this isn't fair. It might be funny, it might be random, but it breaks the basic "all things being equal" law of the tourney. I mean, what's the point of equal teams that reset every round if you're not resetting equally? You may as well play with the full league rules for SPPs, winnings, etc.

My two cents.

-Chet

karegon
Rookie
Rookie

hell yeah!!!1

Post by karegon »

well if geno is up for going then im definatley there!!!!

Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

If you look like your Avatar then the Dutch authorities won't let you in you loon! :lol:

Hey Lucy, you notice the only ones intereted in coming are the English boys whose interests can be presumed to revolve around the coffee shops and whores...... Sometimes my own compatriots disgust me.... :roll:

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
GenoNBBL
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by GenoNBBL »

:lol: :D

If I come I doubt I'll spend any time round the red light district, and I hate smoke so you can count me out of that! Just ply me full of cheap alcohol :D

Seriously though, those dates sound fine to me, I'm pretty sure my holiday is in the middle of June so there should be no clash.

I spoke to Karegon on the phone last night, we're both up for coming along and participating, could you pencil us in please?

I'll speak to the rest of the guys later, but I'll doubt if anymore of us will come along.

Thanks guys,

Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

Hey Lucy, you notice the only ones intereted in coming are the English boys whose interests can be presumed to revolve around the coffee shops and whores

You've got one exception. Australian geek who regularly visits amsterdam without setting foot in a coffee shop.

And the red light district's naff.

I'll be up for coffee and pannekoeken in Vondelpark tho.

Marcus

Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

My God, cultured Brits!!

The system of application is simple, PM me! The only one to do so thus far is Marcus, but I need to know a bit more about you than just your TalkBB alias (eg address, e-mail, real name etc).

Can ANYONE who is wanting to attend please just PM me (yes DW, I need a PM from you too!) as it is the easiest way to track who has actually expressed an interest in attending.. The list reads so far:

DEFINITE ATTENDEES: Norse (Doh!), PrinceLucianus, Marcus

PROBABLE ATTENDEES: Deathwing, Longfang, Voyagers, GenoNBBL, Karegon and maybe TiMuN and Ancalagon if they are free/wealthy..

One other likely attendee is a guy called Daan, who is the leader of the A'dam league. He's a really nice guy, speaks great English and is easily the best player in the league (no offence Lucy, but I think we can agree on that, huh?)

So, any more for any more?

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

Maybe.....
I'm meant to be getting hitched later in the year, so its a question of whether there'll be money, and whether the missus will mind me taking a weekend to play BB in 'Dam without her.

So....put me down as a Probable. :wink:

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.