PBeM or JavaBowl?

However you play online - Java, Vassal, Email, Cyanide etc - talk about it here.
This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

PBeM or Javabowl?

PBeM all the way!
6%
PBeM, but only 'cause I never played JavaBowl.
No votes
PBeM, I can't get JavaBowl to work.
6%
PBeM, 'cause I don't have time for anything else.
25%
JavaBowl all the way!
13%
JavaBowl, but only 'cause I never played PBeM.
9%
JavaBowl, I can't get PBeM to work.
9%
JavaBowl, 'cause I don't want to wait that long to play a game
13%
Don't really like either.
3%
I love 'em both!
16%

Total votes: 32

BlanchPrez
Legend
Legend

PBeM or JavaBowl?

Post by BlanchPrez »

Since I got curious about this from another tread I did, so I thought this would be the place to post it. Basicly, which do you prefer, PBeM or JavaBowl? Or Both? Or Neither? Thanks!

Chris

Reason: ''
At times like these I am reminded of the immortal words of Socrates, who said "... I drank what?"
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Hey the one guy so far who voted JavaBowl because I cannot get PBeM to work ... is there anything we can do to help?

Most systems can run the PBeM program ... well most except Mestari's I think ... :lol: So if you have a question ... feel free to ask it on the Online gaming discussion forum.

And Blache .. I can think of one other reason why folks might play PBeM instead of JavaBowl based on the 4 leagues that were started using the MBBL2 rules. The PBeM program automatically supports about 250 house rules during the game (including about 80 new skills and traits). So if you really want to play with a Lycanthrope team (one of my favorites) ... or have it so that Apothecaries heal people to be KO'd when he works, or passes being fumbled not modified by range, etc. etc. etc. ... you really are limited to PBeM play since the JavaBowl program is mostly LRB bound with only minor flexibility.

Mine answer to this was easy, I don't play JavaBowl because I never have 1 1/2 straight hours to play using the program. But I love what Ski has done with the program.

Galak

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

think you got that last sentance wrong galak ;]

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Voted "PBeM cos I don't have time for anything else", but that's more a connection issue than time. My ISP automatically disonnects me after 2 hours, and I can't always guarentee geting straight back on.

Maybe when I've invested in Broadband though....

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
BlanchPrez
Legend
Legend

Post by BlanchPrez »

GalakStarscraper wrote:And Blache .. I can think of one other reason why folks might play PBeM instead of JavaBowl based on the 4 leagues that were started using the MBBL2 rules. The PBeM program automatically supports about 250 house rules during the game (including about 80 new skills and traits). So if you really want to play with a Lycanthrope team (one of my favorites) ... or have it so that Apothecaries heal people to be KO'd when he works, or passes being fumbled not modified by range, etc. etc. etc. ... you really are limited to PBeM play since the JavaBowl program is mostly LRB bound with only minor flexibility.
Dangit... there's always something the original poster forgets to add to the poll. And here I thougth I had most of the bases covered. Although, in my defense, I did try to add "other" as an option, but it said I had to many poll options at that point, so I dropped it.

Chris

At times like these I am reminded of the immortal words of Socrates, who said "... I drank what?"
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

BlanchPrez wrote:Dangit... there's always something the original poster forgets to add to the poll. And here I thougth I had most of the bases covered. Although, in my defense, I did try to add "other" as an option, but it said I had to many poll options at that point, so I dropped it.

Chris
Don't get me wrong solid little fun poll .. Chris ... it just dawned on me as I'm trying to gather together the stuff for the next round of the MBBL2. That onpitch spellcasters and cheerleaders getting teams Random Event cards doesn't work with JavaBowl.

Galak

BlanchPrez
Legend
Legend

Post by BlanchPrez »

GalakStarscraper wrote:Don't get me wrong solid little fun poll .. Chris ... it just dawned on me as I'm trying to gather together the stuff for the next round of the MBBL2. That onpitch spellcasters and cheerleaders getting teams Random Event cards doesn't work with JavaBowl.
That's cool, I wasn't really complaining, just making a comment that there never seems to be all the options you want on these polls. :)

Chris

Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

GalakStarscraper wrote:well most except Mestari's I think ... :lol:
:lol:

One day we'll take the match we agreed on :D

BTW. Does anyone play with Avi Stetto's Blood Bowl IRC client anymore? As it doesn't impose any rules, that's the one you can play with most house rules. It played with it a few times in the last century, and it was definitely a good program too.

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3460]-[/url]Teemu
[i][size=67]Don't lynch me! I'm the captain of the carpet ship![/size][/i]
Asmodan
Legend
Legend

Post by Asmodan »

I voted PBeM cause i don´t have time for anything else.
But i have played java and do like it, but as i never seems to have time to start a game i voted for PBeM.

NUFFLE SUCKS!
Master Heretic
Nuffle Blasphemer´s association
martynq
Super Star
Super Star

Post by martynq »

Am I the only one who can't get Javabowl to work? Perhaps I'm the only one trying to run it on Solaris UNIX?

Martyn

Dark Elf Blitzer 8/3/4/8 Block, Dodge, MA+1, Shadowing, Side Step, Tackle
firebreather
Champion Muppet

Post by firebreather »

No i cant get it to work either, cant get the picture to fit on the screen :oops:

martynq
Super Star
Super Star

Post by martynq »

Oh I don't even get that far... just a whole string of errors and the program exits without displaying anything on the screen.

Martyn

BadMrMojo
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by BadMrMojo »

GalakStarscraper wrote:Hey the one guy so far who voted JavaBowl because I cannot get PBeM to work ... is there anything we can do to help?
Galak, that was me, the guy on a mac. All I could find for the PBEM tool were Win32 .exe's. Java apps can run on anything with the right JRE, hence JBB for me. I could go through and put win2K on virtual PC just so I could play, but if I wanted to deal with a PC...
martynq wrote:Am I the only one who can't get Javabowl to work? Perhaps I'm the only one trying to run it on Solaris UNIX?
Have you tried BBbsd? Here's the link. I'm not sure if this will help at all, but it's the original .jar file with all the java classes extracted and recompiled into a new .jar under the Mac OS X Terminal (based upon <tadaa!> FreeBSD). It shouldn't really make a difference in theory, but you never know. It might be worth trying. Just grab the 5.2 full version and the latest patch.

martynq
Super Star
Super Star

Post by martynq »

BadMrMojo wrote:
martynq wrote:Am I the only one who can't get Javabowl to work? Perhaps I'm the only one trying to run it on Solaris UNIX?
Have you tried BBbsd? I'm not sure if this will help at all, but it's the original .jar file with all the java classes extracted and recompiled into a new .jar under the Mac OS X Terminal (based upon <tadaa!> FreeBSD).
Erm, no I haven't tried BBbsd. What is BBbsd?

All I'd done was unzip the stuff on Ski's page into a directory and then run java -jar bbowl.jar in an xterm. (Incidentally, when I run java -version it tells me that I have version 1.4.1_01 which I believe ought to be enough.)

Martyn

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

BadMrMojo wrote: Galak, that was me, the guy on a mac. All I could find for the PBEM tool were Win32 .exe's. Java apps can run on anything with the right JRE, hence JBB for me. I could go through and put win2K on virtual PC just so I could play, but if I wanted to deal with a PC...
Thats right I remember Mestari's system wouldn't load it but I had forgotten about your MAC issues. I don't think Boraland makes a Delphi MAC compiler ... I doubled checked the website and I don't see one ... sorry.

Galak