OBBLM - New design for our local league

However you play online - Java, Vassal, Email, Cyanide etc - talk about it here.
This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Tim
Da Tulip Champ II

OBBLM - New design for our local league

Post by Tim »

Hi guys,

Our local tabletop league website is running on OBBLM V0.8b since 2009 with some local improvements added over time. Now our league is becoming more active after a 2 year hiatus and i redesigned the league website a bit, and a bit more and then i had another idea ...

Just wanted to show you what i did with the old OBBLM installation. I slightly modified most HTMLout functions (mostly adding DIVs and CSS classes), but also extended core some functions, but nothing in the data model/database. If specific features are of interest for a general public, i'm sure they can be manually integrated in the currently active branch.

Here's the site: http://kurpfalzcup.t-ibe.de/

Biggest new features:

- new theme, every output goes into a div, no output directly on the canvas any more (allows for a graphic background with separated boxes on top)

- new player detail page, simulating new player cards. Example

- extended default image handling with default race/position pictures for players. 3 tier logic: unique player picture -> default race/position picture (only for Amazons currently) -> generic player picture. Example

- players can create their own matches within existing tournament (we don't use league/divisions and we run FFA tournaments without a fixed schedule) in a very simple UI, no admin required. requires site login, so see attached file.

- generic HTMLOUT.sorttable method can assign classes to table cells (fed through the $fields interface), allowing specific CSS formating of the table fields per use case (currently only used in the player roster table - note centered and left alignment for columns)

- always centered menu (sounds simple, took me several hours)

- new state changing collapse/expand icons instead of old [+/-] (not everywhere yet, team detail page has it)

- site now 90% German (V0.8 still has a lot of texts in the code).

- lots of tiny little changes/adjustments/simplifications

Thanks to the creators of OBBLM for such a wonderful framework. Digging deep into, i learned a lot about the little oddities, but also about the immense effort that must have gone into it. And also about PHP, CSS and Javascript, which was one of the ideas of the whole exercise.

Next steps are implementing the new CSS3menu (current one does not work on iOS devices), fixing the last 2-3 pages that still look ugly and reworking the star player page with the player card design, as well as fixing some minor bugs from old OBBLM i found in the github.
Create new match screen.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Reason: ''
"In NUFFLE we trust!" - Retired Inquisitor of Nuffle.
Father of the Halfling Scribe
Admin of the Kurpfalz Cup
KaalNorth
Rookie
Rookie

Re: OBBLM - New design for our local league

Post by KaalNorth »

Hi, this is amazing work. I dont suppose theres an english version of this that could be downloaded for use?

I Like obblm but its such a pain to install and use (not too good at these things :/)

Tim
Da Tulip Champ II

Post by Tim »

Not currently, there's just too much language stuff directly in the source code of V0.8 to being able to quickly reverse it to english.

As i said, i think it would be possible to build most of the stuff into the currently active branch of NAFLM. I first need to wrap my mind around this github thing to be able to contribute.

jcopersito
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jcopersito »

I am very interested in the code for this to take over my current site at www.trubbl.com

Any chance you can provide some assistance in helping implement the changes you put onto your site onto mine? Thanks!

Tim
Da Tulip Champ II

Post by Tim »

-> PM

I still plan to bring this stuff to NAFLM, but my free time is very limited currently between getting my league into the next season, adding some desperately needed tweaks to by league page and trying to finish to paint a team for Dungeonbowl ... not to mention real life things to do ;)

Crematoria
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Crematoria »

Wonderful !!!!
You could pass me this style to use for my site?
THXXXXXX

Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Milo »

Tim, I love your design and would love to use it for our league next door in Zurich. I'd be happy to help with the english translation too. Is there anything you can share with us?

Milo

Etheran
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Etheran »

It's a very nice work you perform with you site.

Is it possbile to check how done that because I try to change my own Legue website but i destroy the menu.

Check that :'( and i can't go back

http://ligueloups.obblm.com/

Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Milo »

Etheran wrote:It's a very nice work you perform with you site.

Is it possbile to check how done that because I try to change my own Legue website but i destroy the menu.

Check that :'( and i can't go back

http://ligueloups.obblm.com/
Your menu works fine for me on Chrome.

Milo

Etheran
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Etheran »

Yes i Reinstall all after trying some different solution.

Now i try to change the menu but i don't know how to do that.

In addition i try to put some pictures on both side of the main part but they don't appear.

Tim
Da Tulip Champ II

Post by Tim »

For the images on the left and right, you need to create a <div> before div "everything" each in the main HTML template (class_htmlout.php, function frame_begin), and then format it via the CSS file.

Just go to my page, right_click on on of the images and select inspect (Chrome) or Inspect element (IE) to see the code and the CSS formating. Great help to understand how things work on the page!

Etheran
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Etheran »

Thanks a lot for your help. It works nice now.