PBEM tool problems

However you play online - Java, Vassal, Email, Cyanide etc - talk about it here.
This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Mestari
Legend
Legend

PBEM tool problems

Post by Mestari »

I have been trying to start using PBEM tool for almost a week now - practically the entire time that TalkBB was down. And if I hadn't promised Galak a game, I would've given up already:

I'm running windows 98.

At first I got my hands on version 2.2 - the problem was window size: many buttons couldn't be reached (http://www.student.oulu.fi/~ttokola/bbprob.jpg).

Now that TBB is up again and I start to search for help, I see that version 2.3 Beta update B exists. According to the information in http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3018 I downloaded the files and unzipped them into c:\ .

Well, the problem persists... many of the dialogs are like the one shown in the picture above, and it complicates matters. So halp me, please! (and tell me why lot of people use halp instead of help in forums?)

Reason: ''
[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3460]-[/url]Teemu
[i][size=67]Don't lynch me! I'm the captain of the carpet ship![/size][/i]
Ithilkir
Legend
Legend

Post by Ithilkir »

What screen resolution are you running at?

McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

Its definitely a screen resolution problem, how old is your monitor??

you should be able to change your resolution looks like your running at about 450 x 600 or something near
use Start, settings, Control Panel, display and you should be able to adjust

Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

I'm running 1024x768 resolution... I have quite a small screen (only 17'' or so) so I prefer this resolution over higher ones.
But wait a second and I'll try what happens if I enlarge it...

Ithilkir
Legend
Legend

Post by Ithilkir »

1024x768 should work fine, it does on mine.. Let me have a play about with the PBeM client and see if I can work it out...

Cheers,
Stephen :: LRB 5.0 Background Editor
Blood Bowl 2005 & 2006 :: Winner of Most Casualties
The Lore of Nuffle :: The webs biggest BB flavour archive!
Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

Problem persists at higher resolutions too. And I sit in front of the screen so much that I really need the 85Hz refresh rate.

Any other ideas?

Ghost of Pariah
Legend
Legend

Post by Ghost of Pariah »

You know that refresh rate and resolution are not the same thing correct?

85 Hertz = screen flashing 85 times a second.

Screen resolution = How many pixels can be seen on your monitor. You need it at 1024 X 768 to play the software.

Traitor of the NBA!

I hate you all!
Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

Pariah wrote:You know that refresh rate and resolution are not the same thing correct?

85 Hertz = screen flashing 85 times a second.

Screen resolution = How many pixels can be seen on your monitor. You need it at 1024 X 768 to play the software.
And you are aware of the relationship of the two?

Take a higher resolution => get a lower maximum frequency.

I want the lower resolution in order to maintain a higher refresh rate. A high refresh rate prevents headache etc. resulting from watching the screen too much. And I watch it alot.

And btw: :wink:
My profile wrote: Occupation: Student of Computer Sciences
So I'm hoping that this won't prove out to be some sort of a simple problem that I should've been able to notice myself... Otherwise I'm :oops:

My guess is, if no-one has encountered this problem before, that as I installed win98 1.5 years ago, it has managed to acquire a trait that messes up with window resizing or something like that. I'm not familiar with the specifics of the win98 OS or windows programming so I really can't say for sure. I haven't noticed this in other programs though... but now that I think of it, I don't think I regularly use any programs that use small dialog windows like the one in the picture...

Ithilkir
Legend
Legend

Post by Ithilkir »

I take it you've uninstalled and re-installed to make sure?

I'm running Win98 (nearly three years without a format) on 1024x768 and it's fine, I honestly have no idea what it could be.

Cheers,
Stephen :: LRB 5.0 Background Editor
Blood Bowl 2005 & 2006 :: Winner of Most Casualties
The Lore of Nuffle :: The webs biggest BB flavour archive!
Ghost of Pariah
Legend
Legend

Okay if you understand the difference then you understand the prob.

Until you buy a monitor that will run 85hertz on 1024 X 768 then you won't see the full screen.
I usually run my monitor at 800 X 600 as well but when I take my turn I bump the resolution up and turn it down when I'm done.
Maybe you should try that.

Traitor of the NBA!

I hate you all!
Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

Pariah wrote:Okay if you understand the difference then you understand the prob.

Until you buy a monitor that will run 85hertz on 1024 X 768 then you won't see the full screen.
I usually run my monitor at 800 X 600 as well but when I take my turn I bump the resolution up and turn it down when I'm done.
Maybe you should try that.
Pariah. Try reading the previous posts more carefully :roll::wink: - I'm running 1024x768 at 85hz, and I did try using higher resolutions too, but the problem persisted. The dialog windows appear just like in the screenshot above, only that they are considerably smaller due to the higher resolution.

Ghost of Pariah
Legend
Legend

The the only other suggestion I can think of is to try to pull the edges out with your pointer. lol

Failing that, I'd say that your video card had issues. Latest drivers?

Traitor of the NBA!

I hate you all!
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Mestari,

I seriously researched your problem and you are the first person to ever report this issue. I've looked at your JPEG, read your responses to the other posters. I would have to say that you are a uniquely screwed person with releation to the PBeM tool based on your current system.

Sorry man, wish I could help. I appreciate you trying. I was looking forward to that game with you.

Galak

Lucien Swift
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lucien Swift »

never fear, lucien's here...

galak, this "bug" has been reported before... by me! i solved it, though, so i can see why you'd have forgot...

you're probably using large icons.

go to your desktop, right-click, go to properties, then effects, then deselect "use large icons" and this just might solve yer problem... i know i didn't think it was related either, but having tried everything else, i gave it a twirl and indeed, the windows appeared at their normal size...

iron chef kosher
Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

That didn't help, :pissed: , but I'll try to mess around and see if some other apparently unrelated option would solve the problem... I'm also in the process of changing my OS, so that should fix if it all else fails.

BTW. I noticed the same problem in another program so it seems that the problem has nothing to do with the PBEM tool...