League Manager Software.

However you play online - Java, Vassal, Email, Cyanide etc - talk about it here.
This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

SkiJunkie
Veteran
Veteran

Post by SkiJunkie »

>Isn't that info in the api? They have it on java.sun.com..
>If not, just point me in the right direction and I'll check it
>out.. Have both installed here now...

It probably is...but I get lazy when I know I can't test it myself. I could put it in but then I would have to just throw it out in a release and wait for someone to tell me if it isn't working. :)

>I figured out why my app didn't run on 1.3 though.. I had
>used a small method that was introduced into
>java.awt.Toolkit called getScreenInsets.. Added a tiny
>little if block around it, recompiled and voilà, runs just
>fine under 1.3

Yep, works for me now. Pretty cool. The only thing I suggest is use the abbreviations for "completions", "interceptions", etc. That one grid is pretty big and could use some slimming.

Does this program store the data in a database or does it write to a flat file? What is export to HTML going to do? Write out a team roster for a choosen team?

Reason: ''
christer
Star Player
Star Player

Post by christer »

but I get lazy when I know I can't test it myself
I can imagine that being annoying.. You do know you can have both 1.3 and 1.4 installed on the same machine, right?
only thing I suggest is use the abbreviations for "completions", "interceptions", etc.
Yeah, it's rather big.. Perhaps I should hide some of the info from the list and only show details when asked for.. I would have to modify my table superclass though.. But I'll probably change it anyway...
Does this program store the data in a database or does it write to a flat file?
Well.. At the moment, I have all info in an object hierarchy.. I've made a "PropertyObject" superclass which handles.. well.. properties.. Then I have subclasses of this to specify which properties are supplied and such..
All tables, panels and dialogs are generated from these classes, so all I do to add a new variable is to add one line in some class.. Nice things..

As for saving.. Well.. It doesn't save anywhere now. I'm probably going to make the objects save automatically too.. Shouldn't be all that hard.. I even figured out a system for another project which allows me to keep backward compatibility on the save files, even if I modify the variables that are included in the saves... Slightly messy to implement the first time, but very sleek and easy to use after that.. 90/10 rules.. Ofcourse, it generally becomes 90/10/30.. 90% design, 10% coding, 30% debugging ;)

I did consider a database, but I'm not sure I want to require people to install external stuff as well.. Would be very easy to generate all those tables though.. And also, a web frontend could be created using the same database which would probably be very cool.. I haven't really done any DB connected applications in java, so I should probably take a shot at it.. Would probably look good on the resume as well :)
What is export to HTML going to do? Write out a team roster for a choosen team?
It's going to generate html for the table and match reports most likely.. Have to iron out the rest of the program first though.. :)

-- Christer

SkiJunkie
Veteran
Veteran

Post by SkiJunkie »

>I can imagine that being annoying.. You do know you
>can have both 1.3 and 1.4 installed on the same
>machine, right?

Actually we cannot. Installing jdk 1.4 breaks our builds when using the jdk 1.3. Apparently the 1.4 install messes up the registry entries in Windows NT so they all point to the 1.4 and you can't get anything to use 1.3 anymore. Craptacular. :-? People who installed 1.4 had to uninstall 1.4 and 1.3 and reinstall 1.3 to get the registry entries straight again. Anyway, to avoid further problems until we are ready to use 1.4 we are not supposed to install it. Since I use my computer at home to do work as well as the one in the office I can't install it at home either.

christer
Star Player
Star Player

Post by christer »

Not that it matters much, but I'd probably install 1.4 first and then 1.3..
Or perhaps compile using the 1.4 javac, but force it to use the 1.3 classes.. (There are various flags you can use).

But yes, I see the good in staying with 1.3 for a while..

-- Christer

christer
Star Player
Star Player

Post by christer »

More updates..

I'll have to retract the statement that the league manager would be in beta form this week. I haven't had any time whatsoever to work on it, and I'm leaving town over the weekend.. Hopefully, I'll have some time during next week. I'll keep you updated.. :)

-- Christer

christer
Star Player
Star Player

Post by christer »

I've put up a new League Manager pre alpha on the following link:

http://trollcave.no-ip.org/LeagueManage ... anager.jar

It is now able to create round-robin and random style schedules. Still no saving though, as I haven't decided on the file format yet. If I made load/save at this point, it would probably be a quick-n-dirty fix which wouldn't be portable between different versions. That's why I'm waiting a bit to implement those features...

[edit]
Just added cup-style as well. Now. Anyone have a good explanation on how Monrad (or Swiss) style scheduling works? I need all details.. :)
[/edit]

-- Christer

DaFrenchCoach
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DaFrenchCoach »

Hi Christer,

many thanks for your job... Just a question: would you please give us some links on order to be able to use it ? I'm not a computing professional, and I don't know what your app requires...

many thanks in advance !

christer
Star Player
Star Player

Post by christer »

Here's what you need:

Java runtime environment - Available from http://java.sun.com/j2se
You can also use the JDK (If you don't know what it is, you don't need it ;) )

Either the 1.3 or the 1.4 version. I recommend the latter.

After downloading and installing, you might be able to find the .jar file and simply doubleclicking it (I think this feature requires 1.4). Alternatively, save the jar file in an easily accessable directory (C:\LeagueManager for instance), open up a command prompt and find the correct directory (cd \LeagueManager). Run the program with "java -jar LeagueManager.jar".

Hope it helps..

-- Christer

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

I've just downloaded it and it looks quite nice.

A couple of points though. Can you move all the buttons for each tab into a JToolbar and place it above the JTable (rather than below).

Also its a good idea to have OK/Cancel buttons on the dialogs so when I click the wrong button I can back out more easily.

I'd also agree that you should use abbreviations on some of the columns (you can still set a tool tip with the full version).

DaImp
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DaImp »

I really think this will be a useful tool when it is finished. I would suggest adding more options for points scoring, such as points for TD's scored / Casualties scored / Kills etc...

for eg in my league I sometimes use a scoring sytem as follows:

win - 15 pts
draw - 10 pts
loss - 5 pts
td - 1 pt
kill - 1 pt
per 3 casualties - 1 pt

Jonathan Merry
Da Leeg Commissioner, Shaka Shield and SA Open Organiser
DaImp
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DaImp »

and i prefer the buttons on the bottom :)

Jonathan Merry
christer
Star Player
Star Player

Post by christer »

Regarding buttons, yes I know the UI sucks.. The main focus here hasn't been UI programming but I will focus on that at a later date. The current program is generating the UI automatically, cause I'm lazy :)

Regarding scoring, good idea. I will look into it. Shouldn't take too long to implement. The 1 pt / 3 cas can be slightly problematic (from an UI point of view), but I'll see what I can do.. :)

-- Christer

Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

Awesome work so far!

A couple of comments from the top of my head:

- You might want to add a custom field to Options, ie. in the Orion Cup we also gave points for a loss by one TD.

- (Annoying UI comment) you should put an OK button in those dialogue boxes, using the close button is counter-intuitive).

- I would change the word "Monrad" to "Swiss". I think it's the more common name (I've never heard of Monrad before...).

Keep up the good work, I am definitely going to use this for Orion next year.

The TBBf is back! http://tbbf.obblm.com/
DaImp
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DaImp »

I second Anthony's comments.
An OK button is needed and I have also never heard of the Monrad System.

Jonathan Merry
neoliminal
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by neoliminal »

christer wrote:Here's what you need:

Java runtime environment - Available from http://java.sun.com/j2se
You can also use the JDK (If you don't know what it is, you don't need it ;) )

Either the 1.3 or the 1.4 version. I recommend the latter.

After downloading and installing, you might be able to find the .jar file and simply doubleclicking it (I think this feature requires 1.4). Alternatively, save the jar file in an easily accessable directory (C:\LeagueManager for instance), open up a command prompt and find the correct directory (cd \LeagueManager). Run the program with "java -jar LeagueManager.jar".

Hope it helps..

-- Christer
F:\Documents and Settings\Buckaroo\Desktop>java -jar LeagueManager.jar
Exception in thread "main" java.util.zip.ZipException: Access is denied
at java.util.zip.ZipFile.open(Native Method)
at java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(Unknown Source)