Chimera Cup - Cheltenham - Dreamscreator wins!

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Wolimorb
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Chimera Cup - Cheltenham - 7th Oct '17 (Teams on pg1)

Post by Wolimorb »

Thanks for the great tournament, it was alot of fun

Reason: ''
Wobert
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Wobert »

Result are now uploaded - waiting for some magic button pushing. Please all check your scores, I had to input them manually and so the risk of human error is present.

My thoughts on yesterday - I'll be honest I was a little nervous going into it as I thought it would either work really well or be a flop. I think it was the former and thankfully not the latter.

What I liked -
* More than anything that people bought into doing something a little different and ran with it
* I thought the draft was great. It went very smoothly and the few doomsayers who said it would take ages and people would be left having to pick the same teams
twice were thankfully wrong
* All the buzz around the team table in between rounds as people scribbled lists of possible options and discussed the merits of this team or that
* The cursing in the round 1 rolls. The Wood Elfs only Wardancer getting a bone head was a delight as was the Halfling Treeman with Claws and Tentacles (until I had to
play him).
* The venue was excellent - AWM will move there next year
* The food - yum

What needs some thought
* Maybe the skills - my poor brain struggled a bit towards the end
* Making the rosters easier to read in between rounds?
* Balancing out some of the rosters maybe?

I will happily take any suggestion improvements as it was a fun day but not perfect by any means - feel free to post below or PM me.

Compared to AWM, the preparation for this event was a breeze. The excessive prep time for AWM is what will kill it most likely (a conversation for another time, but AWM will probably only have one more run out before being retired in favour of something else of a similar nature). Therefore I think the Chimera Cup will have a much longer shelf life. However, moving forward yesterday was Mythical Mayhem 1 (Chimera Cup). Next year brace yourself for Mythical Mayhem II - the Manticore Mug!

nightwing
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: Chimera Cup - Cheltenham - Dreamscreator wins!

Post by nightwing »

Brilliant event Wobert- many thanks for putting this together and running it. I think the draft system was a great idea, and worked really well (plus leading to some really unusual top table match ups).

While a couple of the rosters were perhaps sub optimal (Dark Elves, looking at you...) it's the price you pay for sticking to the 'at least 1 of each positional' rule- not necessarily a bad thing. Meant for example Wood Elves always one of the last few teams picked, with only 1 wardancer- who had bonehead.

Can't wait for the next one with the 26 :D

Scrumpy Scramble (2017), Foul Bowl 2016, SAWBBowl 2017- International Glowworm Award
Auld World Masters 2017- Most Casualties
Chimera Cup 2017- Most Touchdowns
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Wobert wrote:Result are now uploaded - waiting for some magic button pushing.
There's no magic button anymore; it's fully automated. :)

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Twelfman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Twelfman »

That was awesome! What an atmosphere :D

Well done as ever Al, brilliant days fun.

Gorgoroth
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Gorgoroth »

Fantastic tournament thoroughly enjoyable and some outrageous looking teams by the end.

A great twist to the fine game of Bloodbowl!!

Heartsbane
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Heartsbane »

A fantastic day's gaming and a very different take on the game. Thanks for all the hard work by the organiser and the excellent attitude of all in attendance.

Venue was good, and would have been even better if I hadn't had to drive home; looked like they had some decent beers on offer.

I don't think the unbalanced teams were an issue. Not all races are equal, and it was interesting and refreshing to see the normal order being thrown out of the window.

I think the skills were too much for my poor brain to cope with on top of using 4 unfamiliar teams, so by game 4 I checked I had no negatraits, remembered one skill and simply ignored the others. Perhaps assigning predetermined skills to randomly selected players might keep the flavour in a simpler manner? Would also allow common colours for bands for skills, eg all teams have been for catch, white for frenzy and red for wild animal in game 1, so come game 2 coaches don't have to learn new colour conventions for their and their opponent's teams.

dreamscreator
Star Player
Star Player

Post by dreamscreator »

A fantastic tournament. Love the crazy idea, and was cool have a chat between rounds speaking of how other coaches have ruin the better teams (Rat Ogre with Bone Head and Will Animal? Cool; Wardancer with bone head? Amazing!). Congrats to Wobert and Cornish because the day run without delays and perfect. And thanks to my opponent for four great and funny games.

So happy for win my first tournament, hopefully not the last one :D

Champion: Chimera Cup '17, Coffee Cup '18, Manticore Mug '18, Lucentum Twinbowl '20, Squig Trophy II '20, No me toques los Gnoblars '21
Stunty Cup: Exebowl '14; Bubba Bowl '17; OlletaBowl '20
Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

Loki wrote:Wobert that was amazing; really good days Blood Bowling.

Thank you for all the hard work.
THIS +1

Merrick
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Merrick »

glowworm wrote:
Loki wrote:Wobert that was amazing; really good days Blood Bowling.

Thank you for all the hard work.
THIS +1
+2. Fantastic tournament. And not because I did surprisingly well. :lol: :lol:

nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

Superb idea, brilliantly executed.

I still hate Ogres, although my top table Ogre Wood Elf match up was the highlight of the day!

Would definitely be back next year...

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Wobert, if you got them can you post up the rosters, what skills they ended up with, would be interested to see, looks as though this was a blast :)

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Wobert
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Wobert »

Did anyone leave a Blitzmania token and some card reroll and turn markers? I appear to have some that aren't mine . . . . .