Hard6 Superbowl I - and why not NAF?

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

gumbi
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Hard6 Superbowl I - and why not NAF?

Post by gumbi »

Darkson wrote:
gumbi wrote:Our league will be strongly represented at this because it is easily accessible.
but I dont think you will see your numbers reduce due to this
Given that last year, your league had 4 players out of 28*, and other years we've had more (and less), then your two statements don't gel. That's not counting players that are closer to London than us that might decide not to travel that extra distance.
Sorry should've been clear - players that never/rarely go to tournaments will go to Hard6 one. The guys that seem to go to one every weekend are a special breed.

Reason: ''
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Bsking wrote:
hawca wrote:By simple fact that not all races are included means the date and distance is irrelevant.
OK, I've read through your sanctioning rules, and hypothetically if Slann were allowed in Tier -1 all by themselves, which is given 660K to build a team, and no skills throughout the entire tournament, the event should be sanctionable then, as it would then meet the quantifiable guidelines set out?
No, it passes the "24 race" criteria but falls foul at point #6: "modifications should not radically affect the existing balance between races; incentives may be given to the traditionally less-competitive teams, provided this is in moderation", and it would still be at the TDs discretion.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
20phoenix
Super Star
Super Star

Post by 20phoenix »

Interesting thread.

I'd just say to the organiser, "don't worry about NAF sanctioning it this time round." Use other organisers experiences and opinions on rules to try and keep it balanced within the ruleset you're trying to apply and you end up with a nice gateway tournament to NAF events. Treat it as a taster event. NAF sanctioning doesn't change much in real terms for the tournament.

If the event does well and decide to repeat it maybe look at brining it fully within NAF guidelines at that point to get it sanctioned.

The tournament doesn't need NAF sanctioning to be successful. The NAF don't need to change their guidelines as it weakens tournament criteria which is already a hotly debated subject (see also Bonus Points).

HadrielCaine
Rookie
Rookie

Post by HadrielCaine »

Thanks @Darkson for creating a separate thread for this discussion. Its certainly valid but was getting away from the point within the even thread itself.

For the record:

a) I've been a gamer for over twenty years from epic, to inquisitor, to mordheim and all the major games you can think of.
b) I've attended events for all sorts of systems
c) I know exactly what its like to be a member of a ocmmunity that has had very little support from GW for years (see Inquisitor/ the Conclave)

I'm a huge fan of competitive gaming and its clear that the NAF has done an incredible job keeping BB alive since 2004 and the heady days of fanatic magazine.

We've recently had a major upheaval in the shift from WHFB 8th to AoS and honestly, as some of you are no doubt aware, it initially fractured the community. A year on and AoS is flourishing, but some of the old guard have moved on to 9th Age. And fair play to them as Jay and I say in our podcast- its toy soldiers, let them play how they want.

I'm personally really up for attending NAF sanctioned events and getting my team some glory. But I just wanted to echo Heff for a moment:
We're new, we're not in competition with you (apart from on the field) and we're running a one day event. There will be veteran players and newbies, the top tables will be ultra competitive I'm sure and if we'd had more time (say if BB new ed had dropped earlier) we might have become aware of NAF sooner and made more of an effort to avoid an existing events calendar/ work towards existing comp/house rulings LRB type stuff.

But that didn't happen.

I reject whole heartedly that we're clashing with ARBBL, 6 out of the 11 guys signed up so far are my clubmates who have never been to an NAF event. Another one is my old uni housemate who hasn't played BB since the late 90s. We're likely to pick up more AoS players as we have a couple of events with them before the Hard6 Superbowl. I can't guarantee that people won't travel to us instead of Andover... But it'd take me over 2hrs by train to get there. Londoners don't tend to own cars and trains in this country are insanely priced.

To you foreigners, brits tend not to like to travel 80 miles. We live in a small country but we tend not to travel around it. Just one of our many flaws...

I want Hard6 Superbowl II (when we do it) to be NAF sanctioned, I want it to be over two days. But as 20phoenix (and others) have suggested this could be a taster for people. Its going to be so easy to get 24 players in London after a new release like this just so people can try it out. We really hope to integrate and grow your existing community going forwards but we hope its understood how difficult that can be immediately.

We just want to play some Blood Bowl because its awesome, and this is what we came up with.

Thanks, and sorry if some of this has been referred to already, I only realised this discussion has gone onto a second page half way through writing this and I need to go to work!

Thanks for reading and do let us know if there's any constructive criticism before Feb.

Adam

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Where's my like button?

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

All good, I can't remember where you got to with including Slann?

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
besters
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by besters »

There are two related things I would disagree with, the first being that bloodbowl players do travel long distances for a tournament even in the UK, I am going to both ARBBL and the Welsh Open earlyi in 2017, both way past the 80 miles quoted.

Second, as a consequence, I do believe there is a clash between this and ARBBL, it is in my opinion a question of how serious is the clash. Obviously negated to some extent this year by this not benng a NAF sanctioned event, although I think the importance of that can be overstated, but if it hadn't clashed I might have considered attending this event as well.

I am concerned that too many tournaments, not just those that clash, may lead to reduced average attendance and the consequent financial failure of some events, this possibility being exacerbated if tournaments clash, same dates, consecutive weekends etc.

Possibly getting off topic, hope this is a success and look forward to it being a regular event.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

besters wrote:this possibility being exacerbated if tournaments clash, same dates, consecutive weekends etc.
Gotta agree there - I could have moved ARBBL to 25th/26th March, which would have meant 3 southern tournaments in 3 weeks, but I was told by a few people that that meant they'd have to choose one of the three they'd miss.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

Jip wrote:My experience at tournaments has been impeccable, other than Glowworm shouting at me for how long I allegedly take to finish a game.
Oh, I'm sorry buttercup, did the nasty man hurt your feelings?? Best retreat to your "safe place" 8)

....and for the record you where running late, everyone else had finished. :wink:

HadrielCaine
Rookie
Rookie

Post by HadrielCaine »

Quick update chaps and chapettes

http://www.spitandsawdust.pub “SPIT AND SAWDUST" 21 Bartholomew Street, London SE1 4AL, London on 11th Februrary 2017.

Is the new venue for the Hard 6 Superbowl. Slightly more space for the event and nearer to the tube (Elephant and Castle, Bermondsey etc.)

If you're attending or planning to do take note. Also we only have a few spaces left, we're considering extending but do let us know and if you're paying for a ticket please send £20 to jayhopkinson@gmail.com on PAYPAL

Happy New Year!

A

Glowworm

Re: Hard6 Superbowl I- 11th Feb 2017, London

Post by Glowworm »

frogboy wrote:
glowworm wrote:
Heff wrote:
We should be supporting this guy not slapping him down for daring to choose the same day as you. I am pretty sure there is space for both.
This.....

More tournaments = good thing.
Some people just need a good slap!
Bring that slap to SAWBBowl grunt!! Ill have my daughter there who will step over your rapidly cooling corpse to hug her daddy :D

seriously tho' buddy, south wales and the south west are as you have rightly commented busy with tournaments, however perhaps we should look at the population of areas where tournaments are being held ( in terms of coaches) and work something from that. 2 tournaments in the south west 75 miles apart would probably still be pretty well supported!!

see ya soon :D

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

I'm reading the above now and thinking, "what was I even talking about?"

Looks like the Hard6 Guys done well, 20 coaches i think, ARBBL not so well?, but then the Welsh dropped a few numbers this year too, possibly the new boxed game rules and stuff have put some off. Hard to tell yet I guess. I was expecting more players to attend events as the rules changes haven't changed that much, its a main stream game now, new players should be chomping at the bit to test their mettle against season vets in Tournament settings by now surely.

Sounds like something for the NAF to decide and or TO's to consider

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
besters

Post by besters »

ARBBL had18 coaches I think, so sounds an even split, it would be interesting to know, but presumably impossible to find out whether there would be any movement in the numbers if only one tournament had been played.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

NAF tournaments are not quite attracting the new guys yet, unfortunately - struggling to get the word out. Ideas welcome!

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

True, it's impossible to tell if either would have done better if the other hadn't ran.

Games Workshop are very much still promoting their product, I'm guessing new guys automatically see things like Blitzmania and the winterbowl league and want to take part in these things also the Bugmans tournaments.

GW working with the community is not unheard of, not only in the past but currently for example The South Coast GT is going to be play testing some of the new rules for the Age of Sigmar game this year if what I read was correct.
Is it not in GWs interest to get involved in the Major Tournements again, I'd be pushing for that as new players would see the involvement as positive.
Other than that just spamming Facebook pages/Twitter feeds, both local and international with stuff. Possibly an up to date swanky new website with Twitter and Facebook links ;)

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.