Waterbowl Weekender 2009 - February 21/22 - SOLD OUT

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Jimjimjimany
Chopper Pilot

Post by Jimjimjimany »

Many thanks to my 6 opponents, alex and geoff and too everyone else present for making the weekend really enjoyable.

Roll on 2010!

Reason: ''
Wightlord
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Wightlord »

[quote="lucifer
We'd like to see some coaches try the changes as the feedback of using the new rosters in a full and large sized event will be invaluable to the BBRC. Let's face it, if the Dwarf and Undead coaches dodge the chance now then they'll never be able to express a preference from a point of experience and if the changes go through then they'll just have to live with it for the next 4 or 5 years. :o[/quote]

My feedback - Played Undead against 2 Halfling, 2 Dwarf, 1 Amazon and 1 Skaven team. 3 Wins 3 Draws.

New skill descriptions: didn't encounter any but they seem good on paper. Diving catch rewrite didn't seem to encourage any more human teams though, they really need a proper boost. (Blitzers to 80K/ST3 Catchers).

Team nerfs (Dwarves/Undead)- didn't see these affecting much at all. Something that could happen or not happen without really making any difference at all to the price of fish/results.

Halflings - never tier 3 now, and some of their starplayers seem suspiciously underpriced in relation to other races choices.

Goblins - not in the same league (let alone tier) as Halflings now, their stars are mostly SW's while a halfling team can take real reliability in the form of ST7 Big Guy with block, or Zara or the cage bursting Bertha. They'll have to go on a great run to win any stunty cup in future...

Things you never expect to hear in a sane world......"I went home a broken man. Contemplating my place in a universe where Shaniepoo was king" - No Number
And..."Shaniepoo is our glorious champion!" - Leipziger
thechosengobbo
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by thechosengobbo »

I could say a lot about Gobbos.

Though one of the main things I have to say in regards to the stunty cup, is to simply have bribes allowed for gobbos in more tournaments (most rulespacks say that only the chefs and stars are allowed as inducements). Chefs are allowed for the flings

This lets us keep our stars on longer (thereby making them more useful). More importantly if we're trying for a desperate 1 turner, having a bribe or two REALLY helps us, as we can put a secret weapon on just incase it all goes wrong and we have to revert to fefensive play (you know, considering we have MUCH more chance of our TTM going wrong than the Flings do).

Our schtick is Secret Weapons, and one turners. These cancel out eachother, and they are BOTH not reliable enough to rely on.

Leaguewise? I'd say they're pretty strong. But I'd rather use them in tourneys, and have a proper go at leagues (I've used gobbos in enough leagues now).

I'm not even complaining about Nobblas nerfing (though I agree on whats been said on chainsaw stars only needing EITHEr the +2 to armour OR the price increase).

Everything in moderation (except possibly moderation)
Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

purdindas wrote:
Nippy Longskar wrote: don't take stars to Waterbowl!
I dunno my bomber managed to cause havoc all weekend. He seriously injured all these players!

1 skink
1 skaven
1 saurus
1 mummy

He did his fair share of knock outs aswell. :D
Make that two skinks injured with a single bomb in turn 1 :o :o

*bleat*

:wink:

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
Leipziger
Legend
Legend

Post by Leipziger »

I'd agree with Matt and Duncan re:gobbos vs halflings. It was a shame that there was only one gobbo at the WB, but not a surprise given the boost given to the flings in LRB 6 (especially as flings at TR110 were stronger than gobbos before the changes). I definitely think that next year the goblins will be allowed to take bribes to try and make them a bit more competitive.

Twitter:@wormito
Waterbowl fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/WaterbowlMcr/

Stunty Slam 14 - 10/09/22
Waterbowl Weekend 2023, Feb 18/19, NWGC

Team England Committee Member
thechosengobbo

Post by thechosengobbo »

Leipziger wrote:It was a shame that there was only one gobbo at the WB,
Translation: It's strange that there was actually someone crazy enough to take gobbos :wink:

Real men take goblins :P

Everything in moderation (except possibly moderation)
Sizzler
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Sizzler »

thechosengobbo wrote:(though I agree on whats been said on chainsaw stars only needing EITHEr the +2 to armour OR the price increase).
Totally.

Chainsaws are useless at tournaments now. Too pricey and not lethal enough. :cry:

Wightlord
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Wightlord »

Agree about chainsaws - has the side effect of taking variety out of some teams and driving rosters to all look same/same.

Things you never expect to hear in a sane world......"I went home a broken man. Contemplating my place in a universe where Shaniepoo was king" - No Number
And..."Shaniepoo is our glorious champion!" - Leipziger
SillySod
Eternal Rookie
Eternal Rookie

Post by SillySod »

Pippy wrote:My highlight was sitting next to the bleat-a-thon that was Lycos against Valen - both coaches were whingeing so much about their dice you'd think they were both losing 0-3!! Pure comedy genius :lol: :wink:
:lol: hehe

Victim of the Colonel's car boot smash. First person to use Glynn's bath.
Update: the Hartlepool family Glynn now has a virgin bath.

Barney is a clever dog.
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

lucifer wrote:We'd like to see some coaches try the changes as the feedback of using the new rosters in a full and large sized event will be invaluable to the BBRC. Let's face it, if the Dwarf and Undead coaches dodge the chance now then they'll never be able to express a preference from a point of experience and if the changes go through then they'll just have to live with it for the next 4 or 5 years. :o
I'm not in a position to complain about the Undead change obviously. But I do have one observation. In 18 previous tourney games with Undead I never started a meaningful drive (i.e. one of more than 1 turn) with less than 11 players. In this tournament I started the second half of one game with 8 players and another with 7 IIRC. So the change has definitely had an effect. I'll leave others to judge it.

Played against Dwarves once, didn't notice a change (they were the ones to reduce me to 7 for the 2nd half).

Didn't play against it, but observed, and the Master Chef for 50K seems ridiculous. He is averaging 240K of value, so that's 190K of free TV the Halfling team is getting every game on average (it could be worse). And arguably that undervalues the effect it has on a team to lack re-rolls.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Gazza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Gazza »

Cheers to Alex and Geoff for a great weekend, and many thanks to Butcher, Nippy, Sann, Stick, Zoglug and Ratman for 6 excellent games.

Duke Jan
Legend
Legend
Location: Watching the great unclean armpits of a Beast Of Nurgle

Post by Duke Jan »

Had 6 great games. Even though the first one still hurts when I sit down.

Nuffle Sucks!
mepmuff
Legend
Legend

Post by mepmuff »

Having played halflings at the waterbowl, I'd say all changes combined put them over the top. On the one hand you can argue that the changes are too much, on the other you can argue that the tournament set-up was too favourable for them.

The biggest point for me was the loss of loner for the trees combined with the chef. Being able to reroll failed take roots and failed going for it rolls with the trees with re-rolls to spare was huge. So master chefs at tournaments are a no-no, especially if the gobbo's dont get their bribes.

Good thing about the changes was that I enjoyed playing them again. Both in tourney and in league format. For the leagues it's the BH on 9 that does it, for the tourney it's the non-loner trees and the chef, one of which has to go IMHO to keep them level with other stunties, although looking at the results the Ogres need a hit as well, some more than the other :wink: .

Fans do not have to be represented by models, but it's much more fun if they are!
fire olli
Super Star
Super Star

Post by fire olli »

I think halflings are well over the top as well. I think they should do one or the other (Trees or master). I also think that the other teams should be left alone as they are ment to be poo, they are stunty teams.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Just a couple of fuzzy photos - think my settings were a bit dodgy :oops:

The top table game 2 - inoculator about to begin his slide (sorry Ally)

Couple of the fantastic venue, including the massive telly

Top tables Game 4 - just before my slide!

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler