Essex Bowl

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Zy-Nox
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Zy-Nox »

Yeh 2 skills per game is what I'd have gone for, players getting killed outright lose skills, one skill per player so no skill stacking.
ORHave teams generated at the beginning with all players getting one skill,two players can take traits,and two can take a skill as if a double was rolled( the last two options allow you to get four players with 2 skills)
I think this was used in the Copenhagen tournament, but its Ideas and thats what we need.
Ok push back the date to spring. So its not rushed and a screwup, maybe try a DRY run in November for less players?
League points is difficult, maybe something involving TDs scored,ie in a game two score 1 and two get 0, how would you say its a draw/loss so say you get 2/3 points for TDs scored?I think that could work.

Reason: ''
[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3460]Hall Of Famer[/url]
Novice Heretic
Wielder of the Trout of Nuffle Slapping
"I hope this makes sense,most things make sense in my head, but not to other people"
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Eddy Waring

Post by voyagers_uk »

Why not give this an "It's a Knockout" feel and only the top two teams from each matchup go through this would mean only 3 games per division before we bring the regions together. Not too much on top of peoples other commitments.

Not sure how you would point score it, unless you did it in a similar way to the method we used in our local game last night.

First team to score has all players teleported out by wizards. Ball falls where TD happened, second team to score takes second place. Other two teams are out.

Zy-Nox

Post by Zy-Nox »

Nice idea,first to score etc, I still like the thought of basing it on how many touchdowns you score in the match, :)

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3460]Hall Of Famer[/url]
Novice Heretic
"I hope this makes sense,most things make sense in my head, but not to other people"
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic

Post by voyagers_uk »

Not sure how TD's would work as the game is initially played only until the first TD.

so points would be on placing

1st = 10 points
2nd = 5 points

Interceptions = 2 points
completions = 1 point
Casualties = 2 points
other = 1 point

but points would only matter for the two winning teams when you score the game.

it could lead to some teams trying to stay in and come second to get more points.

GenoNBBL
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by GenoNBBL »

Ooohhhhh, I like it! Plus 3 games we could get done in a day! (possibly) Which would of course cut down on the cost of the whole event (cutting it in half basically)

I like it, I'll go mull over some figures and such.

And also the losers could play tie up games just to keep games going. That way everyone gets at least 2 games.

Voyagers, you genius :) I just hope I can get it to work!

GenoNBBL
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by GenoNBBL »

Ok, so how about if we stuck it so that it was played like the 'it's a knockout' style, but your position for the game is worked out on points like this:

Touchdown: 5pts
Casualty: 2pts
Interception: 2pts

Completions wouldn't count, I don't see them as big enough factors in the game. With 5pts for TD's it still ensures that the team who scored most win but as the fans love the violence so much it is possible to win on casualties. Although you'd need a hell of a lot!

Then after the game, 2 teams with most points would go through to the next round.

This also gets us straight into the final when it arrives.

This could really work..... comments? objections? critisism? It's all good!

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic

Post by voyagers_uk »

the losers can play those 1 v 1 games that everyone else raves about, after all the NAF rep will be involved so it is a good opportunity to get some ranking done.

alternatively the losers have to wear those big sumo suits and have match-ups with those. :lol:

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic

Post by voyagers_uk »

completions are important in Deathbowl as it is a good sign of possession which on your 24 square in length pitch is important.

Are you going to make a team that scored come off the pitch or will it be like Goblin tribal leagues where anyone they get into the opposing end-zone is a TD.

I think once you score you have to come off, otherwise you might lose a lot of players for just a chance to score a couple more points. Basically if you score you've won given the current rules. I wouldn't move to far from that thinking.

Zy-Nox

Post by Zy-Nox »

Or
1st to score 10pts
2nd 6 pts
3rd 3 pts
4th 1 pt
Casualties modify points +/- 1 or by 0.5

Novice Heretic
GenoNBBL
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by GenoNBBL »

Ok guys, grab a cuppa this is a long one (ooeerr missus! )

I've drawn up the first ruleset for the DeathBowl, it includes rules for the game itself and the league scoring system.

Please please please read it thoroughly before giving feedback. I welcome all critisism as it's what makes these things better.

Ok, here we go....

-------------

Essex DeathBowl Tournament Rules (review 1.0)

What is DeathBowl?
Death Bowl is played on a specially designed pitch (shown above, more pictures are avaliable at http://www.fragalot.com/deathbowl.htm ) with four teams. The teams line up on or behind the heavy white lines with at least three players on the line. There is no kick off as the ball is placed in one of the four centre squares (chosen randomly). To score you must get a standing model with the ball into the end zone directly across from you own. Roll a D6 to see who goes first and continue clockwise from there. It’s a mad rush for the ball and Nuffle help the poor creature that gets it!

Ruleset:
We will be using the current Living Rule Book rule set. This can be downloaded for free from the Games-Workshop website. There are modified/additional rules listed below. These rules take precedence over rules in the LRB where listed.

Team Creation:
Coaches start with 1,000,000GCS to create their team. Therefore team start with a Team Rating of 100.

Allowed Teams:
Official teams only: Human, Orc, Dwarf, High Elf, Skaven, Dark Elf, Chaos, Chaos Dwarf, Undead, Goblin, Halfling, Wood Elf, Norse, Lizardmen and Amazon.

Allies:
The only allies allowed are Big Guys. Any team that can take Big Guy allies may never take more than 1, except for Goblins and Halflings who may have 2.

Star Players:
Are not allowed.

Miniatures:
Teams must be represented by the appropriate model. All teams must be painted!

Note:- I may yet allow All-Big-Guy teams if people want to use them. They seem to fit the DeathBowl ethos quite well. Rules for these would need to be governed but something along the lines of the 4th Ed teams should work.

Injuries:
All injuries are automatically Badly Hurt. This allows teams to play with a full TR100 roster for all their games.

Earning Skills:
Undecided – Opinions guys!

Handicap:
There are no handicap rolls.

Gate:
Each team rolls for the gate as normal. Then all four rolls are added together for the final total. The gate is then used to determine what DeathBowl stadium the game will be played in. (Refer to neoliminals stadium rules)

Healing:
No apothecaries, healing scrolls or regeneration are allowed in a Death Bowl.

Referees:
There are no referees in the Old World crazy enough to set foot in a Death Bowl. The only referee to ever step into a Death Bowl was killed by the fans before the first play! No penalties are ever called (except illegal procedures).

Kick-off:
The ball is placed randomly in one of the 4 centre squares. There are never any touchbacks.

Going first:
All coaches roll a D6, the highest score goes first and then play continues clockwise from there. Re-roll any ties.

Assisting a Block:
Once a player declares a block, and only after he declares it, any opposing players in a position to assist may do so if they want to. An opposing player may of course choose not to assist.

Spiked Ball:
In a DeathBowl game the normal ball is thrown out and replaced for a spiked version.
When passing a spiked ball to a player, the catcher makes his catch roll as normal. If it is failed then they get hurt by the ball being thrown at them. To see if the player is hurt work out a Block versus the player using these strengths…

Quick Pass – ST2
Short Pass – ST3
Long Pass – ST4
Long Bomb – ST5

If the player is knocked down, the ball scatters, armour and injury are worked out as normal.
As a hand-held weapon, a player may block another player while carrying the ball giving him +1 to his strength. If the player carrying the ball is blocked they do not confer the +1 bonus, only when they block do they get the bonus (representing them bashing the other player with the ball).

Scoring:
To score you must get the ball into the end zone directly opposite your own.

League Format:
Teams are organised into conferences, you will be notified of what conference you are playing in before the event. To promote friendly banter and tactics building once all rosters are in and conferences confirmed all teams rosters will be made public.

League Points:
All teams are awarded league points for the following:

Touchdown – 7pts
Casualty – 2pts
Interception – 2pts
Completions – 1pt

After a game is played the two teams that scored the most league points will go through to the next round. The two teams that don’t are knocked out. Teams that are knocked out are free to either participate in DeathBowl games with other knocked out teams or play 1v1 games with other coaches. With this system we are able to get all the games into 1 day and cut the cost of the event in half!

-------------

:zzz: You still with us? Well that's it, as I said please read before leaving feedback.

Thanks for reading this far!

One thing I will mention is that I plan to make a reference card for each game so that people have quick access to things like the Spiky Ball, Scoring, etc.

Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

Working out assists on blocks (and fouls) will be the most difficult chore. Other than that, it looks top notch!

-Chet

GenoNBBL
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by GenoNBBL »

Thanks Chet, makes me rest a bit easier knowing that a rulez guy has read over the rules :)

The assists will be interesting, but basically if a player is in a position to assist then they can choose to assist or not.

One thing that is on my mind is whether to allow casualties scored by fouls to count toward league points. Normally I'd say no but this is a DeathBowl!

Zy-Nox

Post by Zy-Nox »

OK.
On earning skills,see one of my posts on here(I think its the top of the page) :wink: and then probably the 2nd option is going to be better.
Not sure about the elimination though, I think I need that bit explained again, I would prefer people playing X amount of games and scoring points then the winners are found at the end :) Mainly as people are gonna travel to get there it would be harsh if YOU went out in the 1st game :wink:
It would be "right I'm eliminated lets go to TOTS or CHEERS...whos round is it"
I think Allowing points from fouling is Good, But I also think casualties should affect negatively aswell, Say -1 point for every cas suffered.
The spike ball is interesting,I'd probably reverse the strengths and have the quick pass at st5,What about a +1 mod to catching because of the "SPIKES"?Sticks to the players armour.
I like the rules on a whole though.
Well thats enough feedback for now,If anything else comes to mind I'll let ya know :wink:

Novice Heretic
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic

Post by voyagers_uk »

I like the rules, especially the spiked ball bit. fab.

not sure about the points scoring though, I still feel as if there should be some weighting for final game placing

Something like

1st TD scored 10 points (plus team can take 3 random skills)
2nd TD scored 7 points (plus team can take 2 random skills)
3rd TD scored 5 points (plus team can take 1 random skills)
4 th TD scores 3 points ( no skills, heck they came last didn't they :cry: )

staying in the arena after you have scored will only help those strength teams who may finish 3-4th to rack up casualties, I'd still rather see something in there to take a team out once they have scored. After all they have won the game as per the old rules :smoking: , they shouldn't be penalised because they managed it the quickest.

anyway 2p over with, I like it

GenoNBBL
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by GenoNBBL »

Hi guys, thanks for the feedback, in respone to your questions/suggestions:

Structure:
If we don't do the 'it's a knockout' style of games then we can pad it out over 2 days but the cost of the event would go up. This does mean that all coaches get to play 4 games though. I would like to do this but my reason for not doing it was going to be that people may have to travel far to get here. But then in my infinite wisdom I realised that this is the Essex bowl......... duh! So people should be able to travel home rather easily. If anyone is coming from far away there are plenty of places they can stay in Southend I'm sure.

The Spiked ball:
The ST bands are like that for a reason. A quick pass can be a nice lite throw to a team mate which they should be able to catch easily, if a Long Bomb is thrown then the ball spends quite a bit of time in the air gathering momentum before it comes back down, hence the higher ST bracket.
I was thinking of including rules for using the ball as an offencive missle with these rules:

You can throw a spiked ball at a player, but never further than short pass range. The player may attempt to catch the ball with a -1 modifier (even if it is accurate) to stop himself getting hurt. If the catch is failed then workout a block with the following ST's:

Quick Pass: ST4
Short Pass: ST3

The ST bands represent the player hurtling the ball at his opponent, so the shorter the distance the greater the damage. Once a ball has been thrown in this matter it is an immediate turnover, even if the player manages to catch the ball.

Sound good?

Skills:
On skill gainage, how about something like the A'Dam format of 2 random skills after a game for players? It's 4 games so that's 8 skills. Of course when people get into the finals etc their teams should have around 12 skills.

Scoring:
For tournement points, how about this:

Touchdown – Dependant on order scored in.
Casualty – 2pts
Interception – 2pts
Completions – 1pt

Basically if you score first you've won, if you score 2nd you've come second and so on. Once a team scores they are taken off the pitch for the other teams to battle it out.

So why keep points in for other things? I've left points in for Cas, Comp, Int, etc because I have played games where no-one has scored. This way we can determine the winner by ball possession and casualty score.

Casualties:
Minus' for casualties against could make the whole process of scoring a bit to long, if we keep it simple with points for the actions listed above it should keep things a lot easier to keep track of.

Well that's my feedback, what do you think guys?