question about illegal procedure calls

Moderator: TFF Mods

Abator
Veteran
Veteran

question about illegal procedure calls

Post by Abator »

Hi there,

Several friends and myself are new to the game and we are still in the process of working out the rules. One situation came up yesterday where my opponent picked up one of his player at the beginning of his turn and I call Illegal procedure on him. He stated that since he hadn't done anything with his character yet, that his turn hadn't started. He had a point, so I gave it to him.

Now, another my friends says that he wouldn't have let that call go through. He believes that as soon as you touch one of your figurines, your turn has started.

What I want to know is how strict is the rule on this. Would I have been able to call the Illegal procedure if it had been a league game or was my first friend right.

Thanks

Reason: ''
BlanchPrez
Legend
Legend

Post by BlanchPrez »

Well, not sure if there's an "official" rule for this or not. In my personal opinion, this is something that should be worked out between you and your league as to which way you like it. In my league, we all agreed that just touching a figure on your team does not count as starting a turn. But, if you all agree that it does, more power to you. :)

Chris

At times like these I am reminded of the immortal words of Socrates, who said "... I drank what?"
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Standing a player up or turning them over is an action (a move action), so it is an IP.

Technically you ought to declare the action with a player before you do anything else and declaring the action is an IP in itself, even if no model is touched or dice rolled.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
BlanchPrez
Legend
Legend

Post by BlanchPrez »

Right, but simply touching the modle, and not doing anything with it, or declaring an action, doesn't count. At least, not in my league.

Also, we don't make people declare movement actions. You have to declare a blitz, but not a normal move.

Chris

At times like these I am reminded of the immortal words of Socrates, who said "... I drank what?"
Abator
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Abator »

That's basically what I thought. Thanks.

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

:oops:

LRB pp 8
An action is considered to be moving one or more squares, or rolling the dice to throw a block, pass the ball or dodge.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Slinky78
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Slinky78 »

Or play like big boys and girls and let the first one (or as your new two) slide. I could have called about one IP per game at the Bloodbowl, but I don't really see the point. If you're playing a perfectly friendly game and the guy forgets to move a turn counter once I don't think it's worth punishing them for one minute lapse in memory - I'd much rather their lapse of concentration was with their move itself...
How much fun is it scoring the winning td because you got a blitz on the ball carrier just because he couldn't move from the ip? :puke:
Of course if the guy you're playing is a d*ck, call him immediately... :P

Tim
Da Tulip Champ II

Post by Tim »

we do not use the IP rule at all ... the game should be about bashing some heads and scoring some touchdowns, not about who moves the turnmarker and who forgets it.

Although i admit that it's a good game mechanic to keep people focessed when being new to the rules.

"In NUFFLE we trust!" - Retired Inquisitor of Nuffle.
Father of the Halfling Scribe
Admin of the Kurpfalz Cup
Valen
Walking on the beaches...

Post by Valen »

Like Tim, we generally dont call IP's in out league

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!
Dangerous Dave
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dangerous Dave »

I agree to - IPs should only be called if someone is constantly "forgetting" to move the turnmarker.

To win a game coz you called an IP is a very shallow victory IMO.

Dave

Grundgen
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Grundgen »

Its kind of tough to know how strict to be especially with new players...on one hand, the game should be about fun, and wheres the fun in losing turns and ReRolls? On the other hand if you let them off without any kind of consequence its hard to get it burned into your memory...Are your friends the kind who would take it personally to enforce the rule? I woud just get everyone together and figure out the best way to deal with it and then stick to it.

Malkorax
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Malkorax »

I agree with most of the people here, and I usually do not call people for illegal procedure, but I reserve the right to do it if I so desire. It is an official rule, after all. In my league we leave it up to the individual players. Some never call it, some will call it every time, some (like me) only call it in certain situations. If my opponent forgets his turn marker too much, I will burn him so he learns his lesson.

The reason the rule is in there (IMO) is because you can get really screwed up if people forget to move their turn marker. Once will not make a difference, but what about two or three times in a row? You could end up playing a 20 turn game! If it happens as often as it does with the penalty applied (lose your turn or a re-roll), just think of how much it would happen if there was no penalty to keep your mind on it!

Lord of Malkorax
http://members.cox.net/malkorax/Malkorax%20-%20The%20Tower%20of%20Chaos.html
tik
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tik »

Yeah that's right. the whole point of the rule is to make sure the number of team turns each half is accurate.
Something one can do, is to deliberately forget to move the turn counter when playing a newcomer, so they can delight in your forgetfulness and make them feel better about it when you burn them back.

when everyone remembers to move the turn counter, its a non issue.

BaSe
Experienced
Experienced

Post by BaSe »

In our league its all down the the indiviudals. Most remeber so the odd occasion it is forgotten about generally.

My last game showed how it can help/hinder you though. It was my last turn and I had one re-roll, and all I wanted to do was score which I did. I forgot to move my marker and the guy who usually never calls decided too as he was loosing 6-0. Fair point I lost my re-roll but managed to score anyway (a few dodges later).

His final turn came and I put 3 on front line and the rest down back (gotto protect those GR's). I was skaven he was orcs, so he wanted to hurt me. He lined up right next to me and moved, forgetting his marker. How I laughed. Again normally I wouldnt have called, but since he did, I had too. He didnt hurt a thing.

So its all down to ur choice, will calling help you? Thats the question!

http://www.beardedsnot.cjb.net/

The Bearded Snot website