Any advice please

Moderator: TFF Mods

newbie001
Rookie
Rookie

Any advice please

Post by newbie001 »

I have never played blood bowl before and am joining a group of friends that have all played it for years. There teams are dwarfs, norse, chaos, and skaven. We are all starting from scratch.

Any idea what team I should be? Just started playing and know nothing! I like football so I wont be lost on that end. I am familiar with most RP games as well.

I need a team that I can grasp quickly and will be able to hang in there with the veterans.

please advise.

Thanks

Reason: ''
Lordred
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Lordred »

You can try Orkze.
They are very bashy, but can also make a suitable passing game, because they have good throwers for making the pass and Gobbos or blitzers to get deep into the opponents half.
And for a newbie Orks are good, because in my eyes it is not so hard to play them.

The first thing I learned here:

NUFFLE SUCKS!
[img]http://www.rotzkotzen.com/stuff/nbamini.gif[/img]
Heretic
Nuffle Blasphemer's Association
Colin
Legend
Legend

Post by Colin »

Most people advise noobies to take either human or orc, but as those aren't in your choices. Out of the teams you named, maybe go with norse as all have block and same stats (easy to remember). Drawbacks are that the team has low AV so expect a few casualties and they only move 6 (which is average) so definately aren't very speedy. Chaos would be a bit tough for a beginner, takes awhile to develope the team. Skaven has agility and speed but not too bashy. Dwarves are very slow but very skilled starting out, but need to be played a certain way to have sucess, so not really good for a beginner either.

GO STAMPEDERS!
narkotic
Da Collector

Post by narkotic »

I agree, for a newbie Orcs or Humans are best. They are flexible, forgiving when you make mistakes and can adapt to most other teams. They are the only teams that can win against any other race and do not have a race they fear to play against. Downside is, they are not as specialized as the other teams, but both posses great potential. Take Orcs if you want to play a more bashy style and Humans if you would like to go more the passing and running game.

If both are boring to you, you could try Elfs but you'll have to play roughly 10 matches before you get a full fledged team and playing primarily with Lineelfs could be boring for someone starting this game. Furthermore you will be prone to hard-hitting teams and you will curse your low FF and Team Re-rolls.

Old Man Draco
Monkey Spanker

Post by Old Man Draco »

If you want to make your game a passing game then make it any Elf team. Your opponents don't have elven teams so it would make a nice asset. In the early stages they are not very strong, but with a high agility the will be good in handling the ball. They are expensive.

I started with dark elves. they are the most average elves to play. Wood elves are often talked about as the pest on the pitch. Especially the Wardancers.

The hard bit mostly comes when you get sills, but there is lots of information on the board about that. Also about what your new team should have you will find a lot of discussion about.
Main thing is that you feel comfortable about your choice. You are the one who has to play.
Of course your friends should help you get along as well! :smoking:

Stunty King of Lutèce Bowl 2006!:lol:

Owner of a "Deputy Dook Badge"
Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

First i would say Human or Ocs. Best basics for the games.
If you are familiar with RP games, you should have some preference...then take this race, it will be a little bit easier to understand how to play them.

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
bluetooth
Star Player
Star Player

Post by bluetooth »

I'd recommend orcs. They are a lot of fun, have great AV, good in making injuries and okay in passing game. And when you have an Ogre and a goblin, you can have some fun and try TTM :)

Nuffle Sucks!
Superior Heretic
Winner of [url=http://www.hattrick.org/Common/default.asp]Hattrick[/url] Talk Blood Bowl Cup V, VI and VII
Lordred
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Lordred »

Best advice by Longshot:
Take the race you like the most. You can identify with.
Then you will have much more fun, even when losing 3 games in a row :wink:

The first thing I learned here:

NUFFLE SUCKS!
[img]http://www.rotzkotzen.com/stuff/nbamini.gif[/img]
Heretic
Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

Lordred wrote:Best advice by Longshot:
cheers :D

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
bluetooth
Star Player
Star Player

Post by bluetooth »

That was a brilliant advice. You should play a couple of training matches (with different teams) with your mates, so that you can find out what kind of team/play you like.

BTW, welcome to the bloody and entertaining world of Blood Bowl :smoking:

Nuffle Sucks!
Superior Heretic
Winner of [url=http://www.hattrick.org/Common/default.asp]Hattrick[/url] Talk Blood Bowl Cup V, VI and VII
Cypher
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Cypher »

I agree! :D
But I had some problems when I tried to start with Dwarfs... They aren't so easy to play with! :lol:

[b][size=125][color=red]+CYPHER+[/size][/color][/b]
"Praise Nuffle and you'll win!"
[b]SIDE JUDGE, Reformed Church of Nuffle[/b]
Manager of [b]TALABHEIM TACKLERS[/b], [b]BREGHOVEN BRIGADES[/b] and [b]BADLANDS WILDBOARS[/b]
newbie001
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks for all the great advice

Post by newbie001 »

Thanks to all for their advice and welcoming me to blood bowl. I have decided to go with Lordred's advice and play the team I think I would have the most fun with. The Dark Elves. I have heard that they are a pretty good team.

The excitement is starting, the table taunts have begun, and I am reading every strategy and tatic I can get my hands on. Less than two weeks until the first scrimage.

This game sounds awesome, cant wait to start. Hope I can kick some of these veterans butts off the go. :wink:

Melifaxis
Legend
Legend

Post by Melifaxis »

Best of luck! Delfs are a good squad! 8)

NAF Rankings
Commissioner: HBBL & GSBBL (7's)
Tournament Organizer: The Beantown Brouhaha & the Draughthouse Massacre & The Tricorn Cup
NBA Heretic & Proud Beer-Drinker of the NFL
Pritchard
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Pritchard »

i would have recomended dark elves as well

mommy took me to communist cell meetings when i was a kid.
[img]http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/LinkPhoto?GUID=37fc5c2a-7aed-3bfc-1dc2-5c6f71f87cea&size=sm[/img]
NUFFLE SUCKS!

Novice Heretic
Old Man Draco
Monkey Spanker

Re: Thanks for all the great advice

Post by Old Man Draco »

newbie001 wrote:The excitement is starting, the table taunts have begun, and I am reading every strategy and tatic I can get my hands on. Less than two weeks until the first scrimage.
This is of topic, but, as you will read in other threads as well, don't buy an expensive thrower. In the beginning you'll have enough with AG 4 linemen. They can pass the ball if neccessary and then get that desperatly needed SPP for a completion. If your lucky you'll get the MVP award on one of them and then you have your needed skill! Then build up the next one etc.

Good luck, and as a DE player, keep us informed! :smoking:

Stunty King of Lutèce Bowl 2006!:lol:

Owner of a "Deputy Dook Badge"