Moderator: TFF Mods

Aussie
Experienced
Experienced

League Creation

Post by Aussie »

:-?
Here is a question for you out there.

im a huge BB fan and have played a lot of games in the 3rd edition one of ones. now i want to start a league with my friends, but there is one problem. we are never all in the same place at the same time. some of us are at university which just complicates things. how can i have a valid points system in this league that means teams new and vetren still have a chance of winning the league.

any suggestions?

Reason: ''
Agentrock
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Agentrock »

How often can your friends get together?

I've been running a league for many years and we have a set schedule system...two games per two week period. This allows time for people to work out times to meet to play games, allows for possible busy or conflicting schedules, and doesn't burn out the players on the game.

The end-zone “line of death” does not discriminate when one tempts fate by using a “go for it” to pass over it.
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

Hmm a ladder seems to be a fairly good posability, though might favour the people who play most.

You are all in a ladder and then you play a match:

If you are the lower team and win then you move half way up the ladder positions between the two coaches, so if your 10th and beat the person who is first then you move to 5th position. If you were the higher team and won then you just stay there.

The only way 1st place can then therefor change places is to lose to the guy in second spot.

This keeps things tough at the top but new teams should be able to work their way up the ladder to where they think they should be.

Aussie
Experienced
Experienced

more details

Post by Aussie »

reply: agentrock

Well there are 7 of us who plan to be in the league, 3 of us are basically avalible all the time whilst 1 is avalible ocasionally every couple of months and 2 are avalible on half term breaks etc and the last of us is in the services so he can only get time of when he's told.

reply:Grumbledook

this ladder system surely the battle of the top 2 maybe 3 will get a bit dull after a while? is there any way to stop this if this is the case?

Aussie
Experienced
Experienced

The Followup

Post by Aussie »

right heres a follow up question.

the teams that are decieded are Dark Elf, Orc, Chaos, Lizardmen, Undead and Human. i have not yet picked a side as im usually Orcs but i have last choice on a team. because im running the league. what teams would people recommend to play in this league bearing in mind there is still one choice of team still to be had before me? :-?

Laughing hysterically at your opponent's turnover suddenly increases the odds of you failing your first action by 100%
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Probably a flair team (i.e. other Elves or Skaven) to balance it up the teams.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Aussie
Experienced
Experienced

Flair Teams

Post by Aussie »

i have played High Elf before and they work quite well but i can't see the point in skaven with only 3 agility and 7av surely they will just get pounded. The elf teams can dodge quite easily though on a 2 usually but skaven need 3 except the gutter runners. wood elf are such an expensive team all their goo player cost a fortune 120K for a wardancer admittedly they are quality but AV of 7 again, how can i stop myself from getting nailed into the floor?

Laughing hysterically at your opponent's turnover suddenly increases the odds of you failing your first action by 100%
Weav
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Weav »

All the coaches in our league agrgee that the funnest way to play Blood Bowl is to have a fixed schedule and all coaches play once a week on league night. :D

This is rarely possible these days :cry:

So, we have come up with two alternatives. The first, and the most popular, is a modified version of the open schedule. Teams meet once every two months on a Saturday for an all day tournament. On that day, all coaches play four games, and the top four teams go to the play-offs. The play-offs are held in a traditional 1 vs. 4, 2 vs. 3, winner vs. winner for championship format. After that, one or two more 'minor' tournaments are held through the summer, all comulating in the championship tournament, held in the same format at the end. The winner of that is league champion. Teams are allowed to play a set number of games between tournaments. The league commish determines the number of games allowed.

The above format works so well for us. Most of us are in our late 20's and have full time jobs, school, and families.

The second, and less popular method, is a fixed schedule of 10 or more games. But, only 8 games are required to make the play-offs. So, if a coach flat-out cannot make a game, you can still continue your season. This method is prone to abuse, so is only advisable for leagues of friends, as opposed a league with strangers at a store or club. :cry:

Aussie
Experienced
Experienced

The story so far

Post by Aussie »

Ok i followed the suggestions from some of the people who replyed. i went for high elf, i started with 11 linemen 1 dragon warrior 2 re rolls and 3 fan factor. i drew an orc team for the first game and danced the merry jig round them and caused havoc running out 2-0 winner and outscoring them on casulties 3-1 . second match i drew the lizard and got thumped. i lost 2-0 had 4 men left on the pitch when he scored in the last turn, the skink supply chain means they can scored in the last turn from nearly their own goal line one skink picked the ball ran to the next handed off then he ran over the LOS and into my half passed the ball and the last skink strolled home. is it just me who finds these guys impossible to beat? the orc team that i rolled in the first game narrowly beat them yesterday to compile my misery. does anyone have any tips? :cry: