Why is the forum so quiet?

Moderator: TFF Mods

Aliboon
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Why is the forum so quiet?

Post by Aliboon »

I'd agree with Darkson on this, whilst I look in on Reddit and Facebook, they both seem pretty poor ways of communicating information and are just a random stream of stuff as far as I can tell. I might be missing something though.

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too."

Reason: ''
kyrre
Experienced
Experienced

Post by kyrre »

The last time I was here, a few weeks ago, the forum was different. What happened, is there an announcement?

Also forum vs Reddit&Facebook; Reddit locks threads after a few months, there is almost no discovery once a post goes away from the first page. Discussions are limited to a few hours maybe a few days tops. Facebook; it is to difficult to find old posts there. The search and order seems arbitrary. Posts and comments vanish without a trace and explanation. I very much prefer old school forums. (but not too old school).

Danny
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Danny »

spubbbba wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:13 pm Has this become a place to just see news about tabletop tournaments and with those cancelled due to Covid is now a dead forum?
Yes, I'd agree - it's currently the best way to find tabletop tournaments.

Waldorf28 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:14 am I've always considered TFF to be a backwater for NAF ranking junkies, LRB fanboys and GW haters.
BB2016 seemed to be considered by many here an embarrassing inconvenience.
It's still good for tournament news as you say but the vibrant community is now elsewhere.
TFF was left behind years ago.
Agree - that is the common consensus when I've spoken to people about TFF

lunchmoney wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:23 am Some people think forums are dead and do everything on stalkerbook (which is a type of forum, but the doesn't stop some people claiming forums are dead).
Personally I like the fact I can use a pseudonym on forums so prefer it. But it does make for slow communication due to less participants.
Facebook isn't a forum - it also has apps on almost every device. This is a forum and is very different to Facebook (or Stalkerbook as you call it, which comes across a bit weird, I've been using it for many years and have never stalked anyone). You can use a pseudonym on Facebook - many, many people do and have done for many years.

Personally I don't love Facebook for a lot of things and find myself using it less and less these days. The league I run (LBBL) was ran on Facebook but it was absolutely horrible in terms of admin and trying to find things, this has moved to a [very nice and modern] forum for all rules/fixtures/announcements etc. and guess what - in terms of discussion, it's dead. Why? Mainly because it doesn't have an app or push notifications on all devices.

That's a browser issue as it works fine (most of the time) for me.
I've had the same problem. Any software needs to work in the major browsers, and if not then the software needs fixing, people won't care if it's a browser they are using, in many cases they won't even be able to change it.

Aliboon wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:43 pm on Reddit and Facebook, they both seem pretty poor ways of communicating information and are just a random stream of stuff as far as I can tell. I might be missing something though.
Reddit and Facebook are some of the most popular website on the internet so you're very much the minority, if forums were much better, people would be using them.

My personal take on this is just that forums are in the main dead - that's it. They have been for a long time. There have been some attempts to resurrect them in newer guises and some look great (check out Flarum, which I use on https://talk.lbbl.co.uk ) but it all boils down to modern usage, which is via an app, with push notifications. People don't want to log in to check something by pressing refresh anymore than they want to crank up their 56k and check their email. Some forums are really popular, for example the football club I support (Leicester City) has a very, very busy and thriving forum, but there is no great alternative to that, so it gets used. For Blood Bowl, there are alternatives, and people have judged them to be easier to access and more convenient, so here we are.

Danny
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Danny »

kyrre wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:36 am Also forum vs Reddit&Facebook; Reddit locks threads after a few months, there is almost no discovery once a post goes away from the first page. Discussions are limited to a few hours maybe a few days tops. Facebook; it is to difficult to find old posts there. The search and order seems arbitrary. Posts and comments vanish without a trace and explanation. I very much prefer old school forums. (but not too old school).
That is modern internet usage, and probably modern life, people don't care about searching for old posts or finding old threads - people are overloaded by information daily and just want to talk about current and new things in the main. That is why social media like Twitter and things like SnapChat are so popular. Twitter has just introduced a new feature which is basically short-lived Tweets, similar to Facebook and Instagram Stories. This is the way things are going, short-life, transient, short and snappy snippets.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

You can use a pseudonym on Facebook - many, many people do and have done for many years.
Well done those many people. On the occasions I have attempted to create a FB profile under a pseudonym it fails when they ask for ID. Funnily enough I can't provide ID showing the name Lunchmoney.

As for push notices, personally I am happy to not have my phone buzzing all the time, but if I did I would use Tapatalk to get notices from the various forums I use.

I've been using it for many years and have never stalked anyone
Congrats on being a decent human being. But have you considered the amount of stalking that various companies are doing of you? Via data from FB. But that's a topic for somewhere else.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Danny
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Danny »

lunchmoney wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:16 pm
You can use a pseudonym on Facebook - many, many people do and have done for many years.
Well done those many people. On the occasions I have attempted to create a FB profile under a pseudonym it fails when they ask for ID. Funnily enough I can't provide ID showing the name Lunchmoney.

As for push notices, personally I am happy to not have my phone buzzing all the time, but if I did I would use Tapatalk to get notices from the various forums I use.

I've been using it for many years and have never stalked anyone
Congrats on being a decent human being. But have you considered the amount of stalking that various companies are doing of you? Via data from FB. But that's a topic for somewhere else.
Forums are obviously a good fit for you. On the topic of why is this so dead, though, for the vast majority they aren’t.

It doesn’t bother me personally in terms of data, all our online browsing is being watched and collected, that’s the only way they can keep services free - via ads and data mining.

If you want to make a fake name on Facebook (no doubt you don’t) then you’d need to use a name, lunchmoney not being a name. Twitter allows made up handles though, and there isn’t a bad amount of BB chatter on there.

Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

lunchmoney wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:16 pm As for push notices, personally I am happy to not have my phone buzzing all the time, but if I did I would use Tapatalk to get notices from the various forums I use.
Or browsers that stay open and get notifications (pretty common in modern forums) or refresh (old forums are easy to change for that, or via browser extensions for when the admin does not want to).

The irony is people going, or being pushed with nasty tricks (from the horse's mouth), into the always online addiction, then complaining they are overloaded. *shrug*

besters
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by besters »

Itchen Masack wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:57 pm Personally I mostly use TFF to find tourneys to attend. There havent been any tourneys to attend. Dont know if many are like me?
+1

Lyracian
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lyracian »

lunchmoney wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:16 pm Well done those many people. On the occasions I have attempted to create a FB profile under a pseudonym it fails when they ask for ID. Funnily enough I can't provide ID showing the name Lunchmoney.
As Leap can confirm I have Lyracian on Facebook. My friend has "Red Orc" for his D&D as well a a regular account for friends. Just need to put something in as a surname unless they have changed there requirements. I only use the account for Blood Bowl. I quit the BB Community group due to the noise. I also have notifications turned off though as I do not want annoying popups on my devices. Only been an issue once when my opponent cancelled an hour before the game and I was sitting at the club waiting for him as I did not know he had cancelled.
leap wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:07 pm Personally I don't love Facebook for a lot of things and find myself using it less and less these days. The league I run (LBBL) was ran on Facebook but it was absolutely horrible in terms of admin and trying to find things, this has moved to a [very nice and modern] forum for all rules/fixtures/announcements etc. and guess what - in terms of discussion, it's dead. Why? Mainly because it doesn't have an app or push notifications on all devices.
I figured it was dead because of COVID. Until I saw the notice about the new edition I had not been on Facebook for months. I am not quite sure where people are talking about the changes. Been some interesting discussion on FUMBBL.

nonumber
Super Star
Super Star

Post by nonumber »

Talk Fantasy Football used to be my favourite place. I was a proper forum lad. Still would be if I had the time. The instant information flow of Facebook and others has taken over for discussion purposes for the most part (for most people) but to my mind TFF is still very viable for two things. One as has already been said, the tournament postings. It's still the best place for that, IMO. The other, if it could be ressurected a little would be the painting and modelling forums. Much better for posting an ongoing project and revisiting something that you saw that you liked, rather than the other mediums where any content you're interested in soon gets washed away.

So, don't feel as though TFF "is only here for tournament postings", recognise that it is still THE BEST place for tournament postings. And if we start popping more stuff in the painting section (of which I am happy to start doing) that's also a tick in the box for the forum based genre of internet time wastage.

Discussion is the trickier part, but it can always come alongside the above and perhaps you'll catch people passing through. Blood Bowl Community is mostly people moaning about something or posting pictures of "what just arrived in the mail". TFF will certainly be capable of seeing off the BBC in terms of quality discussion. Blood Bowl Competetive perhaps not.

-EDIT- Additionally, when TFF was out of action for several days and no one spoke a word, I've read it was "much poking" of DoubleSkulls to get it back online.

Was anything put in place to ensure it doesn't happen again? If each time this place has a problem someone needs to track down a guy that hasn't played BB in 37 years to some log cabain atop an appalacian mountain then TFF certainly has an expiry date.

"Sometimes you're a big dog wearing a small hat, sometimes you're a small dog wearing a big one. That's life, baby."
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

nonumber wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:16 am
-EDIT- Additionally, when TFF was out of action for several days and no one spoke a word, I've read it was "much poking" of DoubleSkulls to get it back online.

Was anything put in place to ensure it doesn't happen again? If each time this place has a problem someone needs to track down a guy that hasn't played BB in 37 years to some log cabain atop an appalacian mountain then TFF certainly has an expiry date.
I offered to take over. No answer.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

nonumber wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:16 am Blood Bowl Community is mostly people moaning about something
Genuinely not my experience, and I read almost every post.
nonumber wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:16 am or posting pictures of "what just arrived in the mail".
But yes, a surprising amount of this. Though you do have an interest in keeping people purchasing!

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

nonumber wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:16 am The other, if it could be resurrected a little would be the painting and modelling forums. Much better for posting an ongoing project and revisiting something that you saw that you liked, rather than the other mediums where any content you're interested in soon gets washed away.
I found the forum really poor when it comes to posting photos, there was often issues with size or format. That always put me off, but this kind of forum is good for pics as you can see which forum posts you haven't read yet.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Danny
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Danny »

sann0638 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:39 pm
nonumber wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:16 am Blood Bowl Community is mostly people moaning about something
Genuinely not my experience, and I delete almost every post.
Fixed for you

Lyracian
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lyracian »

leap wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:10 am Fixed for you
Very funny Mr. Leap 😀

I left the BBC Facebook group. Nothing worth seeing there