Basic Question

Moderator: TFF Mods

KLV-Rider
Rookie
Rookie

Basic Question

Post by KLV-Rider »

Hi everyone, first post, and a basic question!. Typical! :wink:

So, with the new game out this week I'm swatting up on the rules and game across this from the rulebook which has confused me....

"THE KICK-OFF
After both teams have set up, the coach of the kicking team places the ball in any square in the opponent’s half of the pitch, including the opponent’s End Zone if he likes. The ball will then scatter in a random direction. Using the Scatter template, roll the eight-sided dice once for the direction of scatter, and then roll a D6 to see how many squares the ball will go.

Important note:
The kick-off is the only time that you roll a D6 to see how many squares the ball moves when it scatters. This is because kicks are very inaccurate. When rolling scatter for a missed pass, or when the ball bounces, the ball only moves one square per Scatter roll.

A kick-off must land in the opponent's half of the pitch. Assuming the ball lands in the receiving team’s half of the pitch, then it will
either land in an empty square or a square occupied by a player. If the ball lands in an empty square it will bounce one more square (see Bouncing Balls on page 13). If the ball lands on a square occupied by a player, the player must try to catch the ball (see Catching the Ball on page 13). If the ball scatters or bounces off the pitch or into the kicking team’s half, the receiving coach is awarded a ‘touchback’ and must give the ball to any player in his team. Once the kick-off has been taken you are ready to proceed to the first turn of the game"

....so does this mean that after the scatter D8 is used and a D6 to see how far it goes, do you then add another 'bouncing ball' square?. Never ever done this in the past.

Apologies in advance if this is simple to some.

Reason: ''
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Re: Basic Question

Post by lunchmoney »

Hello and welcome :)

The kick off process:
Pick a target square;
roll a D8 for a direct and D6 for distance, this gives the actual square the ball will land in;
roll on the kick off table and apply the result (remember - the ball has not actually landed yet);
if the square is empty (or the occupying player fails to catch it) the ball will bounce - roll the D8 and move the ball one square in that direction.

Hope that helps :)

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
KLV-Rider
Rookie
Rookie

Post by KLV-Rider »

Perfect may thanks. Think I got confused when watching games online as no one seemed to use the extra bounce or kick off table reference.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

No worries.

If you have any other queries take a look in the Rules Queries subforum first, viewforum.php?f=24
You may find your answer :)

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95